Best of 2011

Priapus- Air Loom
Wormrot- Dirge and their noise ep.
Today is the Day- Pain is a Warning

I really need to download the new Russian Circles.

For the life of me i can't get into the new Insomnium, with the exception of Unsung, and i love Insomnium... not sure what it is.

New Havok has been kicking my ass for months, so that'll be on my top 10 for the year.

the new album is awesome. the title track has some very powerful riffs. the intro and first song are great, too. i don't really like the clean vocals too much, but damn, can these guys put out some nifty guitar work. not sure if it's better than the last one, though.

Inquisition - Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm
Arckanum - Helvítismyrkr
Lord Vicar - Signs of Osiris
Absu - Abzu
Elitist - Fear in a Handful of Dust
Obsequiae - Suspended in the Brume of Eos
Miasmal - S/T
Morbus Chron - Sleepers in The Rift
Oranssi Pazuzu - Kosmonument
Spearhead - Theomachia
Midnight - Satanic Royalty
Falls of Rauros - The Light That Dwells in Rotten Wood
Ravencult - Morbid Blood
The Flight of Sleipnir - Essence of Nine
Fuck The Facts - Die Miserable
Portrait - Crimen Laesae Majestatis Divinae
Skeletal Spectre - Occult Spawned Premonitions
Disma - Towards the Megalith
Ribspreader - The Van Murders
Cannabis Corpse - Beneath Grow Lights Thou Shalt Rise

This is what the new Morbid Angel should've sounded like:

nader-sadek-in-the-flesh-500.jpg

1) Ulver - War of the Roses
2) Novembers Doom - Aphotic
3) immolation - providence
4) glorior belli - the great southern darkness
5) procession - destroyers of the faith
6) enslaved - the sleeping gods
7)opeth - heritage
8)ribspreader - the van murders
9) blut aus nord - the desanctification
10 ) Tsjuder -legion helvete

Is there anything that came out this year that will stand the test of time?

When SMRC and TWWTG came out many years ago, they were more or less accepted into the canon immediately. They were new and innovative albums and not a retro blend of this and that. Those acronyms are forever.

Did anyone take that kind of huge leap forward this year and really progress their sound? The Deathspell Omega and Blut Aus Nord albums I mentioned above are good examples of bands that were pretty well liked (possibly in retrospect only; I don't know what people thought of them in 2001 or so), but completely took a unique turn. I think Agalloch and Inquisition got a lot of deserved praise for their good work in 2010, but there wasn't anything new - it was just better everything. A solid synthesis of what had been done before.

What's new this time around? Are we done with bestial black/death yet? I'm not trying to be overly snarky. I really have listened to way less new metal this year since Metal Haven closed. I know this flies in the face of everything we know about new media, but I listen to more familiar stuff on the internet and take more chances on recommendations from friends and with purchases.

I agree with the general sentiment of your post, but I feel that Ominous Doctrines... is a bit more substantial than you give it credit for. It feels like the musical and conceptual capstone of their career; as if their entire discography has been leading up to it and is to be the lens through which the rest of their work should now be viewed. It was one of the few albums from last year that I can see myself enjoying decades down the road, for sure.

I don't think there have been any epoch-making albums released this year, but there are certainly a couple of greats that will stand the test of time. The new Autopsy is a brilliant re-interpretation of death metal itself (by this I mean the conceptual fixation on morbidity and an examination of life through death) that hearkens back to the old sound from a more modern standpoint that I can only describe as "theatrical" (there were hints of this on Mental Funeral, but it's in full effect on Macabre Eternal). Mitochondrion's Parasignosis is a more focused expansion of their already unique sound on Archaeaeon with some interesting albeit slightly hackneyed lyrics, and Necros Christo's Doom of the Occult is neat if not only from a structural standpoint with the use of interludes that, *gasp*, actually play a non-trivial role in the album's aesthetic (for another modern example of this, see Teitanblood's Seven Chalices). I would say something about Negative Plane, but I'm really not very familiar with the band's work or the angle they're coming from. I would investigate them, regardless.

I think you overstate the 'unique' qualities of the albums that you mention, first of all, especially the Deathspell Omega album. Secondly, uniqueness is not a necessary nor sufficient condition for a work to stand the test of time. And it also depends on what standard you use for such a phrase. Does it need to be an album that random fags will still talk about on UM in 5 years? If so, then I couldn't really give less of a shit what stands the test of time. Anyway, I haven't even heard enough from 2011, so I'm going to use 2010 as a personal standard for what I will be remembering for years to come as hallmarks of the genre.

Inquisition
Stargazer
Blood Revolt
Countess
Briton Rites
Triptykon
Burzum
Bloody Sign
Ares Kingdom
Dødsengel