Best Opeth Guitar Sound (distorted)

Which Opeth album do you think has the best distorted guitar sound?

• Orchid

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Morningrise

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • My Arms, Your Hearse

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Still Life

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Blackwater Park

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • Deliverance

Votes: 10 20.8%

• Total voters
MAYH, hands down... no single song apart from Demon of the Fall ever gave me that much hell trying to transcribe because of the muddiness of the guitars.

EDIT: If Orchid had been produced with a bit more 'subtance' and they kept the same distortion, that would've won hands down... the live gig of them playing with the Orchid recording equipment blew my mind... the tone Mikael got on the start of Forest of October... breathtaking.

Originally posted by Moonlapse
MAYH, hands down... no single song apart from Demon of the Fall ever gave me that much hell trying to transcribe because of the muddiness of the guitars.

Ummmm.... shouldn't muddy non-descript guitar tone be a bad thing though?

I know when I shoot for a tone, I'm going for the most amount of clarity as possible. I want every note to be heard, not mushed together in a muddy sounding mix.

BWP. For some reason i think the overall production on that album is...green. Not red, not blue, but green.

I prefer 'Blackwater Park'. It has a very heavy sound, but at the same time it's not muggy sounding. Everything is clear and it has a retro sound to it almost. 'Deliverance' sounds a little more "cold" for lack of a better word. I like it a lot though, but it does sound quite a bit different.

I voted for Still Life, with Orchid coming a close second.

I don't really like the Morningrise tone (didn't they use Metalzones for it? ), although the album is great, the production kinda pisses me off. And when I put on Orchid afterwards, I always think: Now that's what it should sound like...

MAYH is a little to muddy for me on the distorted parts, but I like the tone.

BWP sounds a little to... well... perfect for me. It sounds great and all, but not really interesting.

Deliverance: On first listen I was like: Argh, what's that?
But I quickly grew to like the tone, it's actually quite interesting (not like BWP) and fits the album.

But Still Life IMO is near perfect, I totally love the tone. :)