Best opeth solo

Wow, funny how one deliberately retarded post has me pinned as a 13 year old. Gotta love how things happen.

*edit* and oh, I misread the above posts, that's what you get for skimming.

@[KOTNO]Narrot: I'll try, but I'm very shaky on this subject myself.

Maqqamat (sing: maqqam) are kind of like a mixture between a scale and a melody. They have more notes than a scale, and, as opposed to Western music, they are not based on half- and whole-step intervals. They consist of degrees that are both greater than a whole-step and less than a half-step, the latter being commonly known as microtones. The resulting effect on the Western ear is that it sounds out of tune. Like Western scales, which typically only use select notes from a given scale, Arabic music only uses select notes from the maqqam -- but there are a lot more to choose from. And based on what I've read, maqqamat also contain a 'melody scrap' which the song must incorporate into itself somewhere. I don't really know what that means, to be honest.

Another thing about Arabic music is that it does not use chords, owing to how dissonant they would sound because of the very close tones found in maqqamat.

Well, that's all I'll venture. If you want to know more (and have it explained better), go to the below website. There was another website that was really helpful, too, but I don't remember the address. Good luck with this shit -- it boggles my mind, although it does intrigue me.

http://www.shira.net/musicintro.htm

Is the user 'Trey Parker' suppose to be controversial or even funny ?

If that is him in his avatar I feel sorry for him. Get out the Razor blades you douchebag nerd.

Mantraschism said:
@[KOTNO]Narrot: I'll try, but I'm very shaky on this subject myself.

Maqqamat (sing: maqqam) are kind of like a mixture between a scale and a melody. They have more notes than a scale, and, as opposed to Western music, they are not based on half- and whole-step intervals. They consist of degrees that are both greater than a whole-step and less than a half-step, the latter being commonly known as microtones. The resulting effect on the Western ear is that it sounds out of tune. Like Western scales, which typically only use select notes from a given scale, Arabic music only uses select notes from the maqqam -- but there are a lot more to choose from. And based on what I've read, maqqamat also contain a 'melody scrap' which the song must incorporate into itself somewhere. I don't really know what that means, to be honest.

Another thing about Arabic music is that it does not use chords, owing to how dissonant they would sound because of the very close tones found in maqqamat.

Well, that's all I'll venture. If you want to know more (and have it explained better), go to the below website. There was another website that was really helpful, too, but I don't remember the address. Good luck with this shit -- it boggles my mind, although it does intrigue me.

http://www.shira.net/musicintro.htm

excellent post, mantra. thanks for all the trouble, good fellow.

yes i know about maqqams (we call it "makam" in turkish) but i never knew middle-eastern music had no scales. and yes, oriental stuff is just fascinating.

so a question: then how does a western band mix such exotic sounds into their music? do they just come up with melodies that sound oriental (like in "bleak"?)

think about the tea party while answering this.

and i guess this topic deserves a topic of its own. does anyone agree?

^ The sound is obtained by strategically placed half steps.

I will use the common C scale and place different half steps here and there to make it become the harmonic minor scalce.

Reg: c d e f g a b c

Basterdized mofo'!: c d e f g# a b c

as you can see, the harmonic minor has three consecutive half steps, skipping f# g completely, giving it the westernized sterotype of the middle east!

thx for sharing :) i gotta read that page :)

Botfly said:
^ The sound is obtained by strategically placed half steps.
True!

Botfly said:
I will use the common C scale and place different half steps here and there to make it become the harmonic minor scalce.

Reg: c d e f g a b c

Basterdized mofo'!: c d e f g# a b c

as you can see, the harmonic minor has three consecutive half steps, skipping f# g completely, giving it the westernized sterotype of the middle east!
the 'bastardized' one is not harmonic minor. it is almpost harmonic minor tho ^^. you used c has basic-note (i dont know the english term for that, you get what i mean) therefore the orignal scale was in c ionic (= standard major). you fucked it up quite a bit then when you made a g# our of the g because you took away the regular fifth of your scale (the g) which is after the ocave and the basic note itself the most important harmonic element of western tonality :).
the harmonic minor scale that resulted was a b c d e f g# a witht the basic note a (while the fifth of a which is the e stays where it is suppossed to be).