Fav guitar solo

DrX said:
Don't hate me for mentioning Metallica, but I have to nominate the solo work in Creeping Death.

I think the Black Rose Immortal Solo does it for me...And if not that, Either Forest of October, Or the Solos in Apostle.

DRX: That is one of my favorite solos as well...Along with the "And Justice for all..." Solo. I'll get flamed for that, im sure...But, Kirk can play. Give him taht much.

Definitely Epilogue...It's got the most emotion in my opinion, and the ending harmony part is one of the greatest musical moments to have ever crossed my ears...

Other than Opeth though, I'd have to go with Randy Rhoads in Mr Crowley, or Vai on For The Love of God.

This is an interesting question. When I read the title of the thread, Hostage To Heaven by Grip Inc first came to mind, then Stjerneheimen by Enslaved.

Then when I opened the thread, I saw this was about your favorite Opeth guitar solo. Funny, but I never think of Opeth when people ask me what my favorite solos are - guitar, drum, bass, keyboard. There music, the band, the entire package always seem larger to me then at a solo level. I always consider them as one - four integral parts making up a whole. With so many other bands, you key in on one person, whether it be for their ability with their instrument/voice, their stage presence, or their star status.

But still giving the question some thought, I'll go with The Funeral Portrait - although there are so many Opeth places that constitute favorites.

If we are talking Opeth I think that "A Fair Judgement" has some pretty mice solos, but otherwise i like The Sound Of Muzak with Porcupine Tree, that´s a nice solo.

One of the ones from April Ethereal completely blows me away, makes me think of lightning through a stormy sky or something.....and the Leper Affinity solo is awesome.....so...hard....to...play :yell: if you're me anyway, dunno about you people!

Well, there are many of 'em, but I have to mention Withe Cluster and Moonlapse Vertigo's solos, it's soo powerfull and aggressive guitarwork that allways gives me a adrenaline rush. And lets not forget the ones on Godheads Lamnet and on Serinity Painted Death, soo much emotion and beauty copressed on two single songs!

My current favorite Opeth solo is the second one in Windowpane (which was amazing live too)... it's just so beautiful and powerful, in a subtle way, to me. I also really dig the solos in A Fair Judgement and Serenity Painted Death.

As for my favorite solo of all time, that's impossible to really say definitively. Marty's solo in Tornado of Souls gives me an adrenaline rush like no other though, so I guess I'd say that one for now.