Fav guitar solo

Satori

Destructosaur
May 2, 2001
.. from grey to black
Visit site
Hey hey,

I'm wondering what you guys feel is your favourite (yes, with a 'u', my canadianship is showing, heheh) opeth guitar solo. I have thought and listened for much time and I think I have narrowed it down to this one:

From mayh, The Amen Corner, the solo right after the line:
"The celestial touch from grey to black'

I also think the first solo in The Leper Affinity is beyond cool, right after the part "Turn murder into art.."

any thoughts?

Satori, fellow opeth fanatic

I've been spellbound with the 'Forest of October' solo, starting 5:45-6:22, since first hearing it. :eek: The acoustic build-up to it, the brief pause before M and P jump full into it, is just awesome.

The electric to acoustic ending of 'Demon of the Fall' gets me every time as well. :p Beautiful, beautiful work.

Paul

yeah the funeral portrait is good! it reminds me of the freakish solos in children of bodom. Also i love epilogue!
Non opeth the most freakish solos are on children of bodom. but for the best it would be on "where the slime live" by Morbid angel. i don't know how he does it!

I think most of my favorite Opeth solos are to be found on Orchid.
I won't name any in particular, 'cause they're all so cool. Such awesome scales are used. Not that any of the solos on the other cd's aren't good, they're absolutely wonderful, but the ones on Orchid really stand out for me. As far as other bands go, Iron Maiden is at the top of my list. I, of course, love solos by Randy Rhoads, John Petrucci, etc. but I'd have to say in general my favorite solos are the ones that focus on the notes and the melody rather than just a pure excercise in shredding. That's probably why I like Opeth and Iron Maiden solos so much. They aren't extremely technical or extremely difficult to play but they are from the heart and very melodic. As for these nu metal bands that express openly that they look down upon soloing...well, that's a different story.

www.mp3.com/soulforlorn

My favorite Opeth solos are from MAYH. But then again, I think that MAYH is Opeth's greatest work. As for my favorite solo of all time, it is Ihsahn's solo at the end of Emperor's "With Strength I Burn."

My fave Opeth solo is from Benighted. It's brief, but there's something about the sparse simplicity of it's sound that is just utterly sorrowful. My fave solo EVER though is undoubtedly Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd (not very 'metal' of me, i know, but...). My favorite metal solo has got to be Return to Serenity (also my fave to play!)

The solos off of Powerslave are just epic! The solos off of Caught Somewhere in Time are uber-badass! Maiden got me into twin leads! Best Opeth solos? I'd have to say the solos off of Orchid and Mayh are the best they have ever made. I also agree that solos are the best when played with emotion. PT,Floyd, Rush solos are just stellar! Live Zepp too!

Black Rose Immortal, around 16 minutes, and of course, the Forest of October solo.

And, I go along with Sadistik, Comfortably Numb solo is teh best solo ever. :D

To continue this dead thread beating, my favorite solo is not of the typical variety. Peter's solo at around 5:50 of The Leper Affinity is often overlooked because it's so short and fits the song so well, but it's fantastic.

As for Opeth, the Forest of October. My favorite solo of all time, I don't know, either Randy Rhoads doing "Mr. Crowley" or Dimebag in "Floods".