Best production on an Opeth record

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
My personal favourite production was on Damnation. Everything just sounds so large, yet still crisp, clear and emotional. Given, it's a lot easier to mix a record when there aren't any metal rhythm guitars eating up your midrange, but it's still a really really good album sound.

What are your personal favourites?

Btw, if any of you even mention the first two records, I'm gonna have to do some genociding :)

I agree with that theres a massive soundscape in Damnation. It is as you say big. there is still room for more too. I think Ghost reveries is pretty good (except for that snare sound). But i think for having a charm to the recording i would say still life. Its not perfect (what is?) But it sounds wonderful when its blasting loud out of a good sound system.

Sadpoet said:

HAHAH ok.......

GR, Its metal yet everything is clear and easy to hear. You can hear everyhting at one time and there are layers on layers on layers of tracks at times.

It would have been hard to mix and clear up especially with per now in the band.

While I'm very fond of the production sound on Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries has the best production when looked at objectively. Everything comes through clearly, and the mix is excellent (although the keys aren't mixed quite right just yet). Jens Borgen is going places!
All of the Wilson produced records are excellent too, and Moonlapse is right. Damnation excels.

I find MAYH's production really nice. It's not quite as crisp as the later albums but the slightly suffocating feel really fits the atmosphere of that album amazingly well.

But objectively I would say BWP and GR are the best produced metal albums they've done.

if best production = clarity of sound + proper distribution of instrumental volume

Damnation
GR honorable mention just for being metal

By my non-technical listening standards, I'd say Blackwater Park. BWP has powerful songs that to me are sonically impressive and Opeth's best - Bleak, The Funeral Portrait, Blackwater Park, The Drapery Falls.

well it's pretty unfair to compare damnation to the others.
ghost reveries is definitely my favourite. among many things, it's the album where i can hear the bass the easiest&best (except damnation of course). i think mendez finally gets to shine on an opeth album like he never has before.

I think Blackwater Park has the best production, the acoustic guitars are perfect, the distorted harsh electrics are very substantial and powerful, Lopez's drums are the best they've ever sounded, the vocals are great, just everything!

The only thing is that GR beats BWP in the bass guitar department and kick drum.

Easy one: Blackwater Park. To be honest: the production on Ghost reveries is better but I miss this... "flair".

A production I really don't like (exept orchid and morningrise) is the one of "deliverance". I can't really explain why...