Best production on an Opeth record

biggsy said:
^^ +1. i love that clean cut sound. it makes everything seem more... i dont know, formal? i like music to be organised.

Yeah obviously from my picks i prefer the rough tone of the older recordings, rather than the "sanitised" form, as someone put it.

SacredReich said:
Yeah obviously from my picks i prefer the rough tone of the older recordings, rather than the "sanitised" form, as someone put it.

yeah thats fair enough, a lot of my 'opeth mates' (people who i dont really like but like opeth) like the rough sound too. i dont know why it is i just love the clean cut sound.

I can think of 3 really well produced albums.
From best to last:
Damnation
Ghost Reveries
Blackwater Park

My favourites are Orchid, Morningrise and MAYH. Since MAYH the sound became too well produced for me. I prefer harsher, dirty production.

biggsy said:
who do you think did a better job... steve wilson or jens?? i dont really know myself. i mean both produce such clean music its hard to choose.
I think perhaps Jens did a better production job, but then he probably had a much bigger budget to work with (what with Opeth being on RR now). I would, however, bet money that he didn't have the kind of creative input that Steven Wilson had. I mean, Wilson is primarily a musician, so I suppose he can add something to a record Jens can't.
But if it's purely production we're talking... Jens for the heavy, and Steven (just) for the mellow...