Best Prog/Power/traditional of 2006

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Hasn't been a significant year really.

Don't really listen to the new Blind Guardian all that much
Virgin Steele's new one jumps off a cliff halfway through
Firewind is pop, spelled p-o-o-p (but catchy so they might work well at PP)

Kiuas is good, but I rarely give it a spin -- still, at least it's somewhat original
Same with the new Pharoah -- it's very good, but I never yearn

Perhaps my fave is PYRAMAZE. Lance King has won me over as a solid vocalist, and I listen to this album more than anything else in this genre. The key winning point is in the songwriting -- the songs at least are memorable.

I don't think I've listened to the new Maiden in several weeks. I've got this love hate thing going on with that record. I haven't even mustered the energy to watch the DVD.

Blind Guardian - A Twist in the Myth
Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death
Kiuas - Reformation
Persuader - When Eden Burns
Place of Skulls - The Black is Never Far
Pyramaze - The Legend of the Bone Collector
Sabaton - Attero Dominatus
Vanden Plas - Christ 0
Zero Hour - Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond

When people ask, "What's the best disc of 2006?" There're two answers; Zero Hour's Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond and the wrong answer.

Zod

There was a lot of power/true metal I liked.

Stratovarius
Eldritch
Hammerfall
Dream Evil
Edguy
Cellador
Dragonforce
Sonata Arctica ( live album)
Iron Fire
Cryonic Temple
Iron Maiden
Galloglass
Wolf
Eidolon
Savage Circus
Falconer
Heavenly
Firewind

Heard this today -- total ruleage.
Wow. Wasn't sure if you'd like this. I dig the singer's accent and delivery. The lyrics are actually solid (if you can overlook the occasional grammatical error).

Any list without Pharaoh, Hammers, and Gates of Slumber on it is incomplete.
Although I dig Aymar's voice, the new Pharaoh disc has never gotten its hooks into me the way I thought it might. Hammers, as always, is a few songs I love and a few songs I find painful to sit through. GoS... never even heard of them. Care to ellaborate a bit on their style?

Zod

Wow. Wasn't sure if you'd like this. I dig the singer's accent and delivery. The lyrics are actually solid (if you can overlook the occasional grammatical error).

I don't know what it is, but I can tell you this:- they succeed exactly where Grave Digger fail

Man, you got 2/2 with those Sabaton and Disillusion recos. Give me more and see if you can keep your 100% track record!!