Best thrash song ever

The best thrash sons ever are...

• Total voters
No because Slayer hasnt changed their style of music, so obviously they are going to look at the bands who started with them (and toured with them) and see that they have changed their styles to be more radio frienly, so naturally they will think they have sold out/turned into a bunch of girls.

Why would Slayer try something new? Do you really think they or their fans want them to do a nice little radio friendly ballad? :confused: It would be a disaster! I think Slayer are happy not to have a Risk or St. Anger in their discography. They know what they are good at so they stick to it :)

Yes, I quite like "We're All To Blame" as well. I might check out the album at some stage.

I like Metallica's new stuff live, and I would still call it metal. I think Frantic fitted in with their set of older stuff nicely. The songs from St Anger even sound great when played live. That isn't just like Megadeth either, The System Has Failed has old school 'Deth written all over it.

I have respect for both bands for different reasons. Slayer stay more true to their roots because that is what they like doing and it works for them, and that is cool. Metallica and Megadeth got sick of doing the same thing and didn't want to keep making the same album and tried something different for themselves, and I respect that as well. They aren't denying their past like some bands do, they just want to try new things.

I really look forward to Metallica's next album. Rob on bass makes a huge difference to their sound. I have heard they have hours and hours and hours of material from jams and stuff recorded to work with, and writing from jamming with Rob in the band will really show I think. He is only a positive influence. Also, from what I have heard James say about what he now thinks of St Anger, about how most of the songs could be edited down and he wouldn't want to use that type of production again, and the fact that Kirk has thrown some solos into some songs live, I get excited, as those were my only problems with St Anger. There is some great material on there, it just wasn't executed as well as it should have been.

Blitzkrieg said:
those were my only problems with St Anger.
So the album was under-produced, under-edited, under-played, under-performed, under-executed and over-hyped. That's a lot of problems.. :Spin:

Blitzkrieg said:
I really look forward to Metallica's next album. Rob on bass makes a huge difference to their sound. I have heard they have hours and hours and hours of material from jams and stuff recorded to work with, and writing from jamming with Rob in the band will really show I think. He is only a positive influence.
Metallica haven't let a bassist contribute much to the songwriting process since 1986.

yeah, but NOW they're having EVERYONE in on the songwriting.

Notice on St. Anger:

Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett/Rock

for all songs.

hahaha, they wrote the songs by just sitting in a room and playing... different riffs came out and they all jammed on them.

So by all means they wrote all the songs together.

Then they are all to blame. St. Anger is the WORST album by a band of Metallicas calibre ever. Its even worse than a shit album by a shit band because a shit band cant do any better. Metallica can. Or they used to be able to :)

Ooh... Umm... Well, the originals were BRILLIANT and they ruined them, whereas Metallica actually had to write stuff that shit, so id say Metallica take the crown, but only just.

As Ceydn says, their songwriting process is different now. Rob can potentially add so much more than Jason ever could have.

Yeah, Purify is the worst song on the album, and likely the worst song Metallica have ever done. It is probably the only song from the album I don't like though. Invisible Kid is frustrating to listen to, as it could have been awesome, but suffers the most from not being edited, and is one of the worst songs on the album for it.

One interesting thing in Some Kind Of Monster is when they talk about how they voted out of the 17 songs recorded, which should make the album, and only four of the songs on the album recieved a vote from all four guys (Hetfield, Ulrich, Hammett and Rock).

Also, since watching SKOM, I have a lot more respect for Bob Rock. He knows what he is doing.

I actually really like Purify, that end riff is fucking killer. Just another piece of evidence that Het is a riff-master. (I find Shoot me Again to be worst on the album... and worst by Metallica ever)

And with SKOM... what made that so cool for me was because I was a member of JITS (Jump in the Studio) since day 1, because it started on my birthday (July 31) so I followed the whole recording process, watched all the videos and knew a lot of the information that was displayed in SKOM.

And boy am I glad they didn't go with the other songs.. they were definately... 'out there'

Temptation? Wow, what was that.

I like what Lars said about Temptation, that it wasn't even a song, it was just a jam with potential. He was spot on.

Purify has some good riffing, but that is all. It still sucks.

I don't mind Shoot Me Again, but it is another of the songs that suffers most from needing an edit and restructure. I have more appreciation for most of the songs after seeing how they came about during the writing/recording process, Shoot Me Again was one in particular. Sweet Amber was the other main one, and that is now one of my favourite songs from the album, I love it.

I've always loved Sweet Amber, it's fucking unreal.

I especially love how the opening lyrixx to that song came about, that was unreal.

And the main thing I dont' like about Shoot me Again is that Korn style main riff that feels like someone's about to come in and rap or something. Sometimes I like that in songs... and I don't mind the song overall... but it doesn't fit very well for me. Doesn't taste that nice.

Unfortunately I haven't seen SKoM yet, but to comment on St Anger, I think that quite a few of the songs haven't been edited enough. I can definitely see that the songs were written after jamming on them (if that is in fact the case) because they all seem to need and edit and a restructure (as Blitzkrieg said) with only one or two exceptions.

I really quite like the album, but I think they should have left the extension of the songs to the live set, rather than writing long songs which really only have a couple of different passages repeated many times (prime example: Invisible Kid).

Sweet Amber and The Unnamed Feeling are the best tracks, IMO.