Best Venue

JimG

Jul 9, 2006

Just been thinking about all the Saxon gigs I've seen over the years. What is everyone's favourite venue the band has played and why? Is it a favourite because of the place itself or is it memorable because of the gig itself? Have to say seeing them at the old Apollo takes a lot of beating. Nigel was still the new kid at the time (back in '82) and I remember when he played his solo with flaming drumsticks, I was just blown away. The Eagle itself was simply awesome, it never seemed to have the same effect on me at other venues for some reason.

Ah, the days of when they borrowed AC/DC's mortar.
Set it off at the Apollo and loads of shit fell down from the roof backstage!

Hard one for me to call for best gig.
Possibly Nijmagen around 81 when they did the world premier of And The Bands Played On.
Also a cracker at Leeds Queens Hall around 83 ish.
Noddy Holder the MC and support acts included Twisted Sister.
Noddy absolutley slaughtered in the Back Stage Bar half way through the gig!

im with you guy on this one
queens hall may 83
remember the choppers hanging from the roof..... and biff coming down on one during the eagle has landed

The Leeds gig/event was good, but, the venue was shite. Absolutely awful accoustics in what was basically a warehouse (Or as Bryan Adams once said; "What is this? A disused parking lot?!")

I've only seen Saxon twice, first at JB's, Dudley then at the Astoria,London.Managed to get up front for both gigs!

JB's is great for an intimate gig :)

Gig addiction said:
The Leeds gig/event was good, but, the venue was shite. Absolutely awful accoustics in what was basically a warehouse (Or as Bryan Adams once said; "What is this? A disused parking lot?!")
Wouldn't call Queens Hall a warehouse ,are you sure you've got the right venue?

WILKS said:
Leicester!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but i would say that:lol:

I'm with ya on that :) (Assuming you refer to De Montfort Hall). Love that place. Not too big,not too small. Venue has nice sound just about everywhere. Just a shame that not so many rock shows happen there nowadays.

JB's Dudley is, as Bec says great for an intimate atmosphere. Caught Y&T there last year - Great! Off to see Testament there next week, so that should be good.

Wolvo Wulfrun is cursed with a sound limiter and crappy City Ordinances. However, when the mighty Manowar played Wolvo Civic...

Brummy-O was pretty good.

Klingonbear

Fav. venue is a toss up between the Astoria and the Brixton Academy.

From a selfish point of view, when I lived oop North The Parr Hall - Warrington was nice and local, and now I'm down south Worthing Assembly Hall is nice and local. (And I've seen Saxon at both venue's)

LEEDS QUEENS HALL
I'm fairly certain it used to be a bus depot.
Agree that acoustics were poo, but seeing Twisted Sister first time was immense.
Least favourite is a hard one to call, possibly Bristol when I came down with a bug of some sort and felt shite throughout the gig, or maybe Heavy Metal Go's to the Dogs at Hackney Greyhound. Why this one? Was organised by Hells Angels UK, which was fine, Motorhead headlining fine, Biff trying to get the crowd singing "we hate the mods" which was one of his favourites at the time, probably not a cool thing to do at a gig run by Hells Angels!

OK decided on best one.
Dixieland showbar Colwyn Bay March 1980 (Wheels Tour), was the first time I saw them as the headlining act and then based the next 5 years holiday's or so following around on tour. Those were the days of Steve wearing "milk is cool" tea shirts, NWOBM in full swing, not having a care in the world apart from when will they be touring next.

guy@benest.wanadoo.co.uk said:
LEEDS QUEENS HALL
I'm fairly certain it used to be a bus depot.
Agree that acoustics were poo, but seeing Twisted Sister first time was immense.

Yeah a bus depot would make sense. It was first time i saw Twisted Sister aswell. Damn they were good.

It was actually built and used as a tram depot, in its final years it was a car park, thats irony for you.

Gig addiction said:
Yep 100% sure! To me, thats exactly how the place looked. Good riddance to the place lol.

It depends when you went I suppose. In it's earlier days it was indeed a dump. I saw Rush there and if you looked up you could see stars through the holes in the roof! They did do it up a bit and I saw plenty of good concerts there. There was Ozzy,AC/DC,Motorhead,UFO etc. It's still a travesty that a City the size of Leeds hasn't got a decent concert venue. I went to Sheffield t'other night to see Axl's tribute band and the sound was shocking from the sides. It sounded better from the outside but immediately in line with the stage as I was leaving. It's the M.E.N. for me from now on until Yorkshire builds a proper arena. My other favourite venue is Crewe Limelight. Great club with about 7 different bars.