WHOSE CHEESE AND TOMATO SANDWICH?

SAXONIZED

Made In Yorkshire
Apr 8, 2005
Event - MONSTERS OF ROCK

Venue - Donington Park, UK

Year - 1982

Bands on bill - Status Quo (Headliners), Gillan, SAXON, Uriah Heep, Hawkwind and Anvil.

I remember when they announced this line up i was not that impressed.apart from our boys from Barnsley and openers Anvil. Nothing against the other bands but just not my bag.

As soon as we arrived we started making our way down the front so when Saxon hit the stage we would be in a good position. Anvil came on and as i remember played a killer set, followed by the next two bands,by this time we had got to the third row from the front.

Now with most outside festivals boredom can sometimes creep in between each band coming on, so the crowd decided to entertain itself (Donington Monsters of Rock becoming famous for its plastic bottle and mud fights). Saxon were touring the States at the time and flew in that day to play the show and i think they got delayed. So the sky was full of flying projectiles, bottles emptying overhead, and it was not all beer and coke if you know what i mean! They then announced Saxon would be on shortly, at that point i was smacked round the face by a cheese and tom sandwich (tasty). So now twenty three years later with all this communication technology at my fingertips, i ask who thew it! and say thanks mate because i was starting to feel i little hungry NOT!

Saxon came on and as always gave us fans a polished and powerful show, but the icing on the cake was the next UK tour programme (The Eagle has Landed tour) features the cover photograph taken at Donington, a picture of the crowd, I`m the guy with the tomato seeds running down my face. I just wondered if anyone else was there that day and also if you were on the cover of the programme, you may have lost a cheese and tomato sandwich.

"We sat in the sun and the bands played on"

Saxonized - what a brilliantly well-told, and funny, story! Thanks, Mate!

You are so right - now technology has progressed, the mystery of the Phantom Cheese & Tomato slinger may be revealed!!
Looking on the bright side, at least you got actual food in the face and not any waste products of food or drink, if you know what I mean!

Have you still got a copy of the Donnington picture? If you have, how about taking a photo of it and sending it into the forum?

Once again, brilliant story, but please don't tell me that Quo were Headlining!! Aggghhhh!!!

Yeah no cheese and tomato slingers come forward yet Nightwar, i must be the oldest Saxon fan out here and i`m still in my thirties, pity no one else there that day.

Donington photo on its way soon.

SAXONIZED said:
......you may have lost a cheese and tomato sandwich.

Thats funny as hell ! Cool Story as well mate!
As Nightwar said about the pic.. I for one would also love to see a picture of that

Photo as promised!

album_fullsize.html

HA! Regarding the 'Phantom Sandwich Thrower' - a guilty concious may be holding his/her identity!!

Hey, Saxonized - yoiu've inadvertantly began a new subject! Our ages!!

I now think I may be a Spring Chicken on this Forum - Weirdly, my birthday is next week, May 3rd. I'm going to be 33! Aggghhhhh!!!!

33 on the 3rd of May NIghtwar!

That is dirty tree on the turd, so on September 3rd you will be dirty tree and a turd!

Sorry no offence intended but you gotta read the post by "Arkitex" titled "Mid Week Joke" posted on this forum two days ago to understand.

SAXONIZED said:
33 on the 3rd of May NIghtwar!

That is dirty tree on the turd, so on September 3rd you will be dirty tree and a turd!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

An 'our ages topic' ? well, its different! im 29 and i will be 30 on the 30th of august!

I was there! You're right,the line-up was pretty naff compared to previous ones. I can remember being sat down at the side for most of that one as I wasn't bothered about the bands apart from Saxon and Gillan. Cheese sandwich? You're lucky.One year I saw a young lady knocked clean off her boyfriends shoulders with a 2 litre bottle of urine! Still,she shouldn't have been up there I suppose. Great days! BTW midnightrider I'm only 41!

MidnightRider - it is starting to appear that you are the senior member of the forum! Maybe a "Saxon Bus Pass" can be arranged and created with the other members!! We can give it to you when you hit 60 in a few years time!
Saxonised - no offence taken, my Good Man. I'm usually referred to as much worse things!!! Anyhoo - I will check out the link you mentioned. I can take anything now I know that I'm such a youngster on the forum!

Bert - Glad to hear you were there that day, i noticed you live in Yorkshire, i was living up there in the early Eighties when the NWOBHM kicked off. Leeds Queens Hall & Bradford St Georges Hall were the two main venues i went to watch Saxon and others. Are you going to the Bradford Rio gig in October? I`ll be there.

Did you all laugh at my haircut on post No 13 (Micophone head or what!)

Midnightrider - Sorry mate looks like you are heading the bus queue at the moment.

Yep, the 'Saxon Bus Pass' is something that I believe in. It would be a certification that is recognised on a world-wide level. It would be produced and provided for our more elderley fans that will otherwise struggle to reach Saxon gigs and other such music events. It would also be a worthy method of recognition for the contribution that these Old Farts have provided for the Rock Industry.
Biff would personally sign these passes as a way of authenication.

I'm sure all forum members will support this worthy project of recognising the age-impaired (or - as I like to call them - "life restricted") fans on the site.

Now, all I have to do is persuade the Bus services!

Of course, I'm joking... Aren't I...?

Valanx - BTW: Halford's 'Slow Down' is such a great song, isn't it? Along with 'Never Surrender' it's one of my personal anthems!!

Saxonized- Whereabouts were you living in the '80s? Unfortunately Queens Hall became a car park and St.George's just seem content to book Ken Dodd,the Halle orchestra and rent the gaff out for Brass Band competitions. Do you remember the Frog & Toad club in Bradford by the Ice Rink or the Vaults Bar? I saw a few decent local bands in there.(Warlord,Baby Tuckoo etc). Happy days! :headbang: I'm hoping to get to the Bradford gig but it's the same day as the Rugby League Grand Final. Ideally I'd get to both and Leeds would stuff St.Helens in the Final. That's not too much to ask for is it? :worship: