Best way to scan your computer for viruses...?

ShredHeadJHJ

oh noes itz a opinionn
Oct 15, 2007
Orlando, Florida
OK, I have PC-Cillin anti-virus which came with my Dell & this thing never says I have any viruses.

I run virus scans, Spybot (spyware cleaner), & two registry scans all the time. I defrag all the damn time. I keep my computer very neat & organized & I have deleted nearly every little program I don't use because I do not want things running in the back ground that don't need to be there. I have plenty of space on my hard drive.

I have a gig of ram & my computer usually uses around 550mb when it just idles... Note that this is without ANY programs open & I only have TWO things running in my taskbar - My anti-virus & my little volume control.

OK, I get a lot of slow down on my computer at times; other times not so much. The thing is I will get slowdown at random times, it can be when I'm opening a program, using a program, or just trying to open a basic file, ect. A lot of times my screen will freeze up for 15-20 seconds & it won't let me do anything... I've left my computer home & came home to the blue screen of death a few times recently, although it's been acting up much longer. I have friends who never have these fucking annoying problems & they have computers with lesser specs than I do.

I don't know if I have a nasty virus that my anti-virus is not catching or what, but I always have these litle problems. It was non existant when I got the computer. My computer also has very respectable specs.

Any advice is appreciated, even if it's only an anti-virus recommendation. Thanks.

If not, use a more versatile anti-virus application/security suite than PC-Cillin. Prefereably kaspersky, panda, nod32 or norton (if you don't use axe-pee).

I believe Linux is an operating system. I would not know where to start with that one.

Someone told me to run a virus scan in safe mode HOWEVER they said they do not believe PC-Cillin will let me run a scan in safe-mode. They said that was the only way to discover most viruses unless I hook my hard drive up to another computer which is out of the question.

I'm not very keen on computers, but I know a tad about them... Is the safe-mode thing something that sounds safe to do?

Someone told me to run a virus scan in safe mode HOWEVER they said they do not believe PC-Cillin will let me run a scan in safe-mode. They said that was the only way to discover most viruses unless I hook my hard drive up to another computer which is out of the question.

I'm not very keen on computers, but I know a tad about them... Is the safe-mode thing something that sounds safe to do?
The safe-mode advice was offered to deal with max number of file infections and what not (since windows doesn't use all its device drivers in the safe mode). It isn't necessary to be in safe-mode in order for your virus scanner to be able to detect viruses. If there IS a virus threat that the scanner cannot deal with due to the file being used by windows at that moment (or any other reason), it will still inform you of the danger it poses, along with the possible options.

There is quite a chance that what you have on your machine isn't a virus at all. It could be a spyware as well.. so just make sure your scan-apps are up-to-date with their updates and scan again.

I believe Linux is an operating system. I would not know where to start with that one.
Removing windows.

With so much music on my computer, I added a 500 gig hard drive and have had virtually no problems since.

I would just use Avast or AVG to scan your hard drive/s every once in a while.

It really comes down to just being safe and cautious when it comes to your computer activity. I've been running on the same hard drive for about two years now and haven't had a single problem, and I download various things on quite a regular basis.

When all is said and done, common sense is your best friend.

Ad-Aware puts spyware on your computer. Do not use it.

I would highly recommend Spy Sweeper if you are willing to dish out money for a yearly membership.

Mathiäs;6750152 said:
With so much music on my computer, I added a 500 gig hard drive and have had virtually no problems since.

Well, I've got a 250 gig hard drive & I have about 110 gigs free. I consolidated a lot of videos on DVDs recently & fred up some space, but I never let my hard drive fall below 90 free gigs. I also de-frag quite a bit.

Does anyone think that I may need more ram??? Anyway my ram could be damaged??? Any way to run a test to find out??? That would be odd if I need more though as like I said I only have two things running in my taskbar & I still use 550mb of ram idling...

I already have SpyBot & I had AdaWare. AdaWare just found the same 11 errors every time I would use it & it always said they were nothing to worry about. Once or twice I think it found a critical error, but that was it. I deleted it when I cleaned my computer of programs I didn't use or need.

Ozzman, I may look into one of those things you said, so long as it is not another anti-virus program because I don't want any programs fighting on my computer. Is SpySweeper something similar to AdaWare but better?

Thanks.

Formatting the hard drive that contains the windows is the best solution.

How would I do that? Is it something a n00b would be able to do?

Ozzman, I may look into one of those things you said, so long as it is not another anti-virus program because I don't want any programs fighting on my computer. Is SpySweeper something similar to AdaWare but better?

Spy Sweeper is better than Ad Aware. It finds more things and doesn't put third party software on your computer.

I don't know how much a subscription to it is, but I used it before it went to subscription status and it was excellent. My brother-in-law has a subscription for it and it is excellent as it has different alerts and shit that help you know when shit is going down on your computer.

Highly recommended

I would say use spy bot for now until you get a subscription to it and uninstall ad aware.

I don't use spy bot that much anymore though since I use FireFox, one of the pluses to using such a browser.