BFD, DFH, DFHS, etc etc...

AudioPhile777

Mathew Cohen
Ok... I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how to program drums in Pro Tools...

Can anyone offer assistance?

I've read through my BFD manual and its confusing as hell...

If DFH is easier to use, I may just go out and buy that... but I've heard the samples in BFD and thats why I bought it... albeit, 5 months ago... but still.

Do I still need some sort of drum module?

And what if I wanted to use triggers on an acoustic set to trigger BFD (or DFH or similar)... what would I need to do/buy/get to make that work?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ok, I've read and searched...

I'm still having trouble... I cant get BFD to read the midi notes that I'm programming.

I set everything up correctly (i assume) and I can play all the samples and all the parts of the kits even the grooves that are in there...

But I cant get it to read the midi track that I'm drawing in...

Help?

I don't know about PT/BFD, but in Cubase/DFHS for example you have to set the midi mapping to the one you get with DFHS, maybe you didn't do that?

Sorry to not offer much specific help, I haven't used that combination of samples/daw.

create an instrument track and send the output of that track to an open BFD. That should work no problem...

i did that... i can audition all the sounds and grooves... but i cannot get it to read the midi that I am drawing in...

I figure i'll just go out and buy EZdrummer... i've been at work for 4 hours, not working :heh: , here looking for some answers... pro tools tutorials... anything that might help... seeing a few EZDrummer tutorials, in which you can just drag and drop the midi patterns and edit them, Which is essentially what I was trying to do with BFD by creating the midi patters on the midi track, I figure EXDrummer is named that for a reason and I'll probably go out and buy it and DFH...

So i guess my question now... do I have to buy EZDrummer AND DFH seperately or can I just buy the DFH deal and isntall that?

i did that... i can audition all the sounds and grooves... but i cannot get it to read the midi that I am drawing in...

I figure i'll just go out and buy EZdrummer... i've been at work for 4 hours, not working :heh: , here looking for some answers... pro tools tutorials... anything that might help... seeing a few EZDrummer tutorials, in which you can just drag and drop the midi patterns and edit them, Which is essentially what I was trying to do with BFD by creating the midi patters on the midi track, I figure EXDrummer is named that for a reason and I'll probably go out and buy it and DFH...

So i guess my question now... do I have to buy EZDrummer AND DFH seperately or can I just buy the DFH deal and isntall that?

EZDrummer features the pre programmed patterns yes, and it is easy to use, but also limited because the sounds are kinda pre-mixed, so they're not as customizable as DFHS for instance.

You can't use the DFH EZX without having EZDrummer installed as well. I'd advise you to buy DFHS if you want to change from BFD, as DFHS is fully compatible with PT with the latest update.

P.S:- I've added you to Yahoo Messenger, I have both BFD and PT, maybe I can help you get it working.

EZDrummer features the pre programmed patterns yes, and it is easy to use, but also limited because the sounds are kinda pre-mixed, so they're not as customizable as DFHS for instance.

You can't use the DFH EZX without having EZDrummer installed as well. I'd advise you to buy DFHS if you want to change from BFD, as DFHS is fully compatible with PT with the latest update.

P.S:- I've added you to Yahoo Messenger, I have both BFD and PT, maybe I can help you get it working.

Cool... I appreciate it... I'm trying to use it mostly for demoing out songs and ideas... so ... I'm not 100% concerned with the samples...

What I wanted to do is get the patterns set to my liking and then solo each part of the kit and bounce it to an audio track and then compress and eq...

I liked the one tutorial for EZDrummer that showed the ability to apply plugins to it without having to take the extra steps that I planned on doing... can I set up BFD to do that?

If I purchased DFHS, I would still need to buy the EZDrummer deal first, right? Nevermind, I answered my own question...

Hmm... England to Los Angeles... like 8 or 9 hours time difference... chatting via Yahoo may prove to be interesting...

BTW here are links to the Tutorial I was talking about...

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmISXzooFzk

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyteMUnlYaM

Thanks again.

I don't know about PT/BFD, but in Cubase/DFHS for example you have to set the midi mapping to the one you get with DFHS, maybe you didn't do that?

Sorry to not offer much specific help, I haven't used that combination of samples/daw.

Not 100% true. You can use a GM mapping.

I'm curious, how does everyone program there drums in BFD/DFH/etc. ? I don't have alot of experience in making complicated songs but it seems like it would take forever with a pencil in piano roll. Is there a easier way besides that method?

SE

Ive been using the closest pre-set patterns to what I want in EZdrummer dragging and dropping into the midi window in Sonar and editing in the piano roll if need be. Ill usually add extra cymbals and variations manually.

This seems to be the right thread to ask this, but i'm a real pro tools newbie, and i'm used to cubase where you have you're key editor and drum editor for getting into all your midi and programming away, but is there anything like this in protools? the only thing that looks like it is that god awful looking grid thing that comes up on midi tracks. any help would be great!!

Hello guys, here's my method, kinda complicated but rewarding in the end.

As we don't have drum triggers to ease the problem of midi tracks, the only solution is to write them down with the pen or by recording them step by step through a midi keyboard. So, here's how I am doing this:

First: we take a video/audio shot of our drummer from the top somehow in order to clearly see where and when he plays the drums, I mean for the complicated breaks or fills to see on which drum element he places the shot. He plays it with metronome on his headphones.

Second: I take this video shooting and fine tune it in Vegas (as is more fast than cubase for example at editing on place). What I do is paying attention for each beat to snap on the grid on a bpm we recorded. Afterwards, I render the video in a smaller file in order to load it into cubase.

Third: I load the perfectly synchronized video file in cubase as a video file. Now begins the mayhem for some. Add a new midi track and load bfd (or whatever drum sampler you may use) as a vst instrument. I instruct that midi track to use for the out port the bfd instrument. Ok, now it's time to play the video file (which has the recorded audio track included) and listen it for about one or two mesures.. It is time to write something down with the pen. I usually start with the hihats and then go back and listen to them to hear how they "fall" over the recorded sound in the video file. Also, as a bonus, you may always check on that video window the precisson and correctness of your newly written beat. Then I continue with the kicks or snares, I add the cymbals, etc.. Of course, you can always copy/paste same patterns you hear during a song.. The most challenging part remains the fills, the breaks...

Fourth: After the writing of the midi drum track, listen to it, tweak it, do whatever you want with it in order to sound good. Somehow, by default, bfd sounds natural even if oyur velocityes are the same for every midi note, which is good..

It may seem a hell of a job but I reached at the performance to write a 4 minute song in one day. But I promise I will buy some triggers, anyway:lol:

I hope I didn't made you jump over the window:loco:

All I can say about prgramming drums is that you just have to be patient. This is not something that you will nail with your first song. It takes a long time to get to where you know your software (sounds like where you are...and I have been there with figuring out everything..we all have), then REALLY know how to tweak it..and of course..REALLY know how to think like a drummer.

One of the best things I can reccomend once you get your MIDI figured out is to pick a song with a drum part you like and replay it note for note. Figure out every single fill and nail it down. Then relisten and releaze you missed a 32nd note snare roll and learn from that. It takes a while to get good at drum programming, so find the program you love and keep at it. Personally, I reccomend spending a ton of time with BFD in Ultra mode, but do what you like best.

hey where i can hear some BFD samples? the guitarrist of EPICA ( ad = his name ) told me that they use those in their new album.. and sound fucking aswesome.. so i would really like to hear them, i didnt find them on the net, maybe im searching in the wrong way..

could anyone help me with this?

thnks

hey where i can hear some BFD samples? the guitarrist of EPICA ( ad = his name ) told me that they use those in their new album.. and sound fucking aswesome.. so i would really like to hear them, i didnt find them on the net, maybe im searching in the wrong way..

could anyone help me with this?

thnks

Search YOUTUBE

Also... i'm surprised this thread popped back up... I've figured out how to do everything with EZ:rofl:FH... so I'm set...

All I can say about prgramming drums is that you just have to be patient. This is not something that you will nail with your first song. It takes a long time to get to where you know your software (sounds like where you are...and I have been there with figuring out everything..we all have), then REALLY know how to tweak it..and of course..REALLY know how to think like a drummer.

One of the best things I can reccomend once you get your MIDI figured out is to pick a song with a drum part you like and replay it note for note. Figure out every single fill and nail it down. Then relisten and releaze you missed a 32nd note snare roll and learn from that. It takes a while to get good at drum programming, so find the program you love and keep at it. Personally, I reccomend spending a ton of time with BFD in Ultra mode, but do what you like best.

Or you can do like me and just rip off Fear Factory every song and keep the programming simple -- kick, snare, hat only! :loco: