Big 4 DVD....

tomass74

Apr 4, 2005
Sorry if there is a thread about this already.. I just bought it the other day and it is awesome...

Slayer's set was good but not one of their best performances in my opinion..

Megadeth was great

Metallica was awesome too. I will definately check them out when they come back around. They pretty much owned. This is a band that I had left for dead for years now too..

Anthrax - I thought that their set was fantastic.. I liked it better than the Alive 2 DVD I think.. Joey sounded great.. I love seeing those songs.. I am pumped that Joey is back and I cannot wait for the new album but someone has to nicely tell him to do something with the mullet..

Just had it in today too! it's awesome, ANTHRAX is obviously the best live act despite having to open up early in the afternoon for a half filled stadium (stil a lot of people by the way). They are the tightest and most fun out of the four. All bands are cool though Megadeth has never been a favorite of mine. Slayer is great but it shows that Hanneman and King are not the tightest guitar players out of the big four. Stil an awesome set. Metallica is cool but Lars obviously is the least qualified drumer out of the big 4, Hefields "metal" voice is pretty much gone and the guitars don't sound as thick anymore. I still enjoyed a great setlist from Metallica though...

What I enjoyed most s the fact that it all seems genuie and LIVE, not much post editting done to any of the bands' sets. Most "live" DVD's nowadays are completely redone in the studio and this is obviously not the case here which is cool IMO. The sound is really good for all bands!

So there's no overdubs? That means Mustaine's vocals are as bad as they were in the theatrical version? (I mean he must have been sick that day.) I just want to be sure because Megadeth-fanboys are now suddenly saying that Dave sounds great, so I'm wondering if it's overdubbed.

To be honest I've seen Megadeth four times and Mustaine's vocals never were "good", but you gotta respect him for the stuff he manages to play on guitar while singing...oh well it's not singing really, but anyway...

To be honest I've seen Megadeth four times and Mustaine's vocals never were "good", but you gotta respect him for the stuff he manages to play on guitar while singing...oh well it's not singing really, but anyway...

x2

he's either really coordinated or marginally retarded. They did Rust in Peace live and there isn't an easy song on that disc, he didn't skip a beat.

Like him or not he really is an influential player.

So there's no overdubs? That means Mustaine's vocals are as bad as they were in the theatrical version? (I mean he must have been sick that day.) I just want to be sure because Megadeth-fanboys are now suddenly saying that Dave sounds great, so I'm wondering if it's overdubbed.

I am not saying they didn't fix anything, but it shure sounds "live". You can hear (small) mistakes throughout the sets of all bands. Joey, though he's very solid, also misses a high note/scream here and there. That's just stuff that happens live, there's no "perfect" performances.

Tom Araya was never a strong live vocalist either, he seems very strained, but that has always been the case. james Hetfield though has definately had better days. His vocals just sound thin and harmless compared tothe old days. Dave Mustaine has also never been a real good singer but that's just the nature of his style, he seems strained here and there too but it doesn't really bother me since I was never the biggest fan anyway.

I still think it's a killer DVD, no doubt there. Some people just cannot seem to accept human mistakes and want post edited DVD's and live recordings.

I am still enjoying the ANTHRAX set the most, they just tear it up and prove yet again why I thinkthey are the best out of the big 4. For me SLAYER is second because of their sheer agression and refusal to play their songs slow live!

I am not saying they didn't fix anything, but it shure sounds "live". You can hear (small) mistakes throughout the sets of all bands. Joey, though he's very solid, also misses a high note/scream here and there. That's just stuff that happens live, there's no "perfect" performances.

Tom Araya was never a strong live vocalist either, he seems very strained, but that has always been the case. james Hetfield though has definately had better days. His vocals just sound thin and harmless compared tothe old days. Dave Mustaine has also never been a real good singer but that's just the nature of his style, he seems strained here and there too but it doesn't really bother me since I was never the biggest fan anyway.

I still think it's a killer DVD, no doubt there. Some people just cannot seem to accept human mistakes and want post edited DVD's and live recordings.

I am still enjoying the ANTHRAX set the most, they just tear it up and prove yet again why I thinkthey are the best out of the big 4. For me SLAYER is second because of their sheer agression and refusal to play their songs slow live!

Couldn't agree more with you, I hate overdubs on live albums and dvd's!

No, Dave's vocals were definitely overdubbed. If you pay attention to the DVD, you can see his lips don't sync up perfectly with the lyrics. I don't think he was sick, he just can't hit the high notes anymore. When I went to the Jagermeister tour in Salt Lake City last month, his voice literally disappeared during high notes. He still sounds good on the low notes though.

No, Dave's vocals were definitely overdubbed. If you pay attention to the DVD, you can see his lips don't sync up perfectly with the lyrics. I don't think he was sick, he just can't hit the high notes anymore. When I went to the Jagermeister tour in Salt Lake City last month, his voice literally disappeared during high notes. He still sounds good on the low notes though.

These guys are all creeping up on 50 and have been touring for years. It's not shocking. I just watched a live version of reign of fire and John can't pull it off like he could back in the day.

I watched the show at my local theater and Mustaine when trying to «sing» pretty much sounded like a cat in heat. People were laughing out loud and making cat noises. It was both pathetic and funny. So I'm not surprised he redid his vocals, because it was plain embarrassing for him...

Not trying to disrespect the man or his career, I love Megadeth, but that night is was just a painful thing to witness because musically speaking they fucking nailed it...

I watched the show at my local theater and Mustaine when trying to «sing» pretty much sounded like a cat in heat. People were laughing out loud and making cat noises. It was both pathetic and funny. So I'm not surprised he redid his vocals, because it was plain embarrassing for him...

Not trying to disrespect the man or his career, I love Megadeth, but that night is was just a painful thing to witness because musically speaking they fucking nailed it...

I concur, but he didn't redo any vocals. They overdubbed his voice with a previous live performance. Most posters on the Megadeth forums seem to think it was from the Blood in the Water DVD, but I don't have that so I can't comment on that.

When I saw Megadeth in Baltimore, his vocals were way off. When I saw the live stuff for this DVD it sounded bad. And even on the Rust in Peace DVD too, he sounded bad. They should have recorded their show from the 9:30 club here in DC back in March. He sounded great. It might have been early in the touring cycle before his old voice was shot. Playing is spot on. I prefer Nick Menza's drumming though. Broderick is spot on.

As far as the big four is concerned, and this may be a biased opinion but i think Anthrax is the strongest. I've been watching you tube clips of Anthrax performing this year and Joey sounds amazing.

No no no, he hasn't been able to hit the high notes for years. It was like he had a really sore throat that day, or maybe he lost his voice.

Exactly.

I concur, but he didn't redo any vocals. They overdubbed his voice with a previous live performance. Most posters on the Megadeth forums seem to think it was from the Blood in the Water DVD, but I don't have that so I can't comment on that.

Blood in the Water is from 2007 or 20078 and the setlist is comletely different, so I don't think so.

I prefer Nick Menza's drumming though.

Absolutely. Shawn Drover is by far the worst drummer in Megadeth ever! He's got no groove and I hate those triggers he uses!

Metallica owned?!?! Really? I saw the Big 4 show in Prague and the only real dissapointment of the night was Metallica, much due to the ever declining skills of Lars Ulrich. Being famous must have gotten to his head; he's clearly not spending any time practising and keeping up his skills. Unfortunately for him, the bass drums were mixed quite a bit louder than they are on the dvd live, and that really revealed that his bass drumming skills are utterly gone. When he wasn't throwing in random single shots on the bass drum, he tried unsuccessfully to do some double bass drumming, which was just embarrassing. Most of the time the songs were just too fast for him and at other times he was just plain inaccurate and sloppy. When they played "One", for instance, he at first tried to follow the 16th notes, but it was just a mess and he reverted to hitting the bass drum twice instead of five times. It's sad; they've got so many great songs, but they're unable to do them justice live. Speaking of sloppy; Hammet wasn't all that accurate always either.

When it comes to Megadeth, they were clearly the best musicians of the four bands. And Dave was, of course, the weakest vocalist. But they are really tight and really good live! I think I've seen them four or five times, and they always seem to deliver.

Slayer was brutal, as always. They're music is of course the "simplest", but they're just so uncompromising and relentless; you just gotta love it!

Anthrax were great; although Joey can be a bit too goofy and awkward at times.

All in all; a great night, but Metallica didn't "own" anything in Prague (apart from the "best posers"-award, of course! ;-) )

BTW; I was in the theater and saw the Sofia show and I own the BluRay and my impression of that is pretty much the same as the one I got from the live show. Apart from one thing: Lars Ulrich should be happy that his bass drums are turned down.

I just took it for what it was. I enjoyed having some beers and watching all 4 sets.. I have been fans of these bands for a long time and it was just cool. I didn't pick apart Lars' double bass drumming skills, How tight Jeff and Kerry were or Dave and Joey's vocals. Over all it was just alot of fun to watch. These guys aren't spring chickens and they kicked more ass than 99% of the metal bands that are out there today. I was shocked by Metallica to be honest. I gave up on them when I saw them 16 years ago on the load tour. Never did I think I would pay money to buy a DVD of one of their current live performances. Because of this I did and loved it. yes I said they fucking "owned". Have your own opinion but judging from giant crowd's reaction the entire show, I would say they owned..

Got The Time was fucing sick by the way..