Biggest Disappointments in Metal History

I fully agree that the Blaze albums sucked, but I disagree whole heartily on the issue that Blaze is a shitty vocalist. Blaze has a great set of pipes, the two Maiden albums with him on vocals weren't written and recorded in a way to play up to his strengths as a vocalist. Harris wrote those albums as if Bruce was still his singer.

Its the same thing with Ripper Owens and Priest, his two Priest albums sucked big time, but he was fucking awesome live.

you know I have to post again, I agree Bruce IS THE voice of Maiden, no doubt about it. But to say that Blaze Bailey is a terrible vocalist is just as stupid as when IMF09 calls SOWN "grunge," Blaze was not a good fit in Maiden, but dude is one of the best metal vocalists there are.

http://www.youtube.com/waiyMwp4bR30tch?v=-

Tell me why you think the Blaze era albums sucked.

The biggest disappointment for me was rap-metal.

Run-DMC did a great job WITH Aerosmith covering Walk This Way....Public Enemy blew people away WITH Anthrax on Bring The Noize....The Judgment Night Soundtrack had sheer perfection at points and hope for rap to become respectable....Then....well....Korn fucked things up by incorporating more hip-hop and Limp Bizkit nailed the coffin shut on any hope I might have had....Now we're stuck with Hollywood Undead, Linkin Park, Kid Rock and all that other garbage flooding so-called "Rock Radio"....No one really took what Anthrax and Biohazard did and ran with it for inspiration....Not even Rage.

I fully agree that the Blaze albums sucked, but I disagree whole heartily on the issue that Blaze is a shitty vocalist. Blaze has a great set of pipes, the two Maiden albums with him on vocals weren't written and recorded in a way to play up to his strengths as a vocalist. Harris wrote those albums as if Bruce was still his singer.

Its the same thing with Ripper Owens and Priest, his two Priest albums sucked big time, but he was fucking awesome live.

Jugulator was an awesome album, WTF are you smoking? "Burn In Hell" is in the top 5 Priest songs, ever.

I have a Blaze solo album, Silicon Messiah, and it's actually fucking great!

I'm with you on that. Don't own or listen to any Blaze era Maiden.

Love "The Clansman" on Rock in Rio though.

Bruce is Maiden as far as I am concerned. Very cool that my 13 year old son is getting into them now.

Korn fucked things up by incorporating more hip-hop

What the hell. Everyone always gives Korn a bunch of shit and calls them rap-metal...and there's NO RAPPING in Korn's music. They were "peers" with all of the rap metal bands, toured with them...and yes, they had one or two songs that had a rapper guest on them over the years...but they probably have just as much, if not LESS rap in their music than Anthrax has done over the years.

And no, I don't even LIKE Korn...I just find it odd that people keep saying they are rap-metal when Jonathan Davis is NOT a rapper...

Their peers such as Limp Bizkit, and bands they even toured with - those bands were rap-metal. Korn was not, they just happened to be popular in a time when rap-metal was huge.

Korn fucked things up by .....

I don't think Korn fucked things up. When they first hit the scene they were very different and original. Then came all the hundreds of Korn clones and Korn sort of became victims of themselves. Besides, If there was no Korn, what would have happened to Metal? Seriously, metal was dead, cold in the ground by '93 and thanks to groups like Korn, NIN, White Zombie heavy music got a second wind. It's a shame about all the Limp Bizkit's, Papa Roach's and Crazy Towns out there though. I personally have a sort of Love Hate relationship with Korn. I loved them in the early 90's, Hated them by 2000 and loved them again when "See You on the other Side" came out, and now I don't really like them anymore. But I do agree that Nu-Metal sucks.

Tell me why you think the Blaze era albums sucked.

The vocals are so bad it is hard to take those albums seriously. There are a few good songs like The Sign of The Cross, The Clansman etc. But even musically a lot of those songs are horrible. The production isn't good. Just not good albums. The Angel and The Gambler might be the worst song ever recorded by the band. Even if Bruce Dickinson sang on those 2 albums I don't think I would like them much more. A few good songs out of the 2 albums. But most I can't even listen to