Bikers

_Wes

StrangeBass
Aug 30, 2005
Alexandria, VA
fretlessbassist.com
Any other bikers here? :)

I've got an '09 Road King Classic. .. love it. Put about 1100 miles on it since I got it . . . about 9 months ago.

What are you riding? Any good rides you can recommend?

BMW 1150GS Adventure here. I've probably had 30 bikes over the years, but this is my favorite for all types of riding. My knees are too shot for the sportbikes anymore....which sucks.

'11 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750. It always wants to be wide open and I'm generally happy to oblige. Love this bike.

IMAG0079.jpg

Forgot to ask. Does anyone know who that Ducati Diavel that was outside the venue one night belonged to? First time I've seen one in the wild. Interesting bike, for sure.

Cool, a thread about my other passion!

I have a 2004 BMW R1150RT to keep the wife happy, 2007 Suzuki GSXR750 for track days, and a 2011 KTM 990 SMT for commuting, day rides, and trips. I had a 1999 Triumph Sprint ST for a long time, but finally killed it after 12 years and 70,000 miles.

As for good rides, unfortunately I haven't visited the SE on two wheels so I don't have any suggestions local to you. Lots of great roads near me in Oregon, Washington, and California if you ever come out this way.

Not a great pic, but here's my KTM, really love this bike.
IMG_5873_20pct.jpg

That's the first time I've seen a real SMT. That KTM 990 lump is a crazy beast as I understand it. Nice garage.

Thanks. It's nice not seeing your bike around every corner. It's a quick bike and has a fantastic chassis for real-world conditions. Have about 9,000 miles on it so far, definitely a keeper, and so far pretty easy to work on although I'm due for a valve adjustment which should be entertaining.

I read about these, never saw one in person. How's the windblast on long rides?

Pretty rough. In stock trim the windblast is right into your chest. It'll wear you down on straights at highway speeds pretty quickly. There's enough of a bubble that you can get into it if you've got a determined tuck, though. That pic is from before I put a Puig screen on it, which adds about 6 inches of screen. Huge help. Gets the blast almost all the way over my head when sitting in the normal upright position. I'm short, though, so it's easier for me to dodge it.

I agree with you on not seeing your bike around every corner. I've seen one other Dorso around here, and he's only here from out of state for work. It's a real head turner. Also amazingly practical as a commuter. If I can convince myself to ride softly I can get 50 mpg (I usually get low 40s, which is still about double my cage's efficiency) and I can see everything in traffic from my perch.

If you ride the Gap, ride it early in the morning before the crazy bastards get up. I haven't been, but all the guys I know that are in the area are saying that lots of crazy and reckless types are there more often than not.

While Deals Gap is an interesting road, it's mostly hype IMHO. The entire region is covered in great roads, and there are plenty that are better. Yeah, if you're going to do it, hit it on a weekday, early. I've done it a few times in the rain as well, and that really keeps the squids off the road. While a lot of the bikers on the road are dangerous, it's a lot of the car drivers, and especially the truck drivers. Yes, Deals Gap is frequently traveled by those in 18-wheelers, and if you want to see what a clusterfuck that can become....

Oct1.jpg

and about 100 more photos here.... http://tailofthedragon.com/dragon_trucks.html