So I've just discovered Camel, Nektar and ELP...

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
...can anyone here kindly recommend other great early 70s prog?

And I have read through the old "70s prog thread" that was posted here a few months ago. I'm just hoping that someone can narrow that down a bit.

Camel is my fav of the aforementioned three. Are there any bands similar to them? I've heard that Caravan is, but the samples I've heard on Progarchives have been lame.

Are there any bands similar to King Crimson? They're friggin amazing. :headbang:

Try getting "Thick as a Brick" and "A Passion Play" by Jethro Tull. ALL their albums until the start of the 80's are classic, but those two are genuine prog classics.
Tull. Fucking. Rule.

I hear the first two albums of the band Anekdoten have a strong King Crimson influence, so you might want to check them out

Stormwatch said:
Try getting "Thick as a Brick" and "A Passion Play" by Jethro Tull. ALL their albums until the start of the 80's are classic, but those two are genuine prog classics.
Tull. Fucking. Rule.

Thanks. But Tull is already my all-time fav (after Led Zep)! So, I have these of course!

But it's good to see fellow Tull fans here. Any Opeth fan should love this amazing band!!

i heard that this obscure little band called "opeth" is influenced by some 70s music

but really you should give caravan another chance. buy their album, in the land of grey and pink; you wont be disappointed

I'll second gentle giant. From what I've heard their a cross between camel and caravan. Camel's guitars and solos, mixed with caravan's easy going rythm lyrics. A really cool sound.

Scarlett Letterman said:
I'll second gentle giant. From what I've heard their a cross between camel and caravan. Camel's guitars and solos, mixed with caravan's easy going rythm lyrics. A really cool sound.

incorrect. gentle giant was on a level of complexity and technicality that caravan and camel never achieved. no offense to either band though...just different styles.

gentle giant is more akin to bands like genesis and van der graaf generator.