Bin Laden is dead.

While I would have preferred that they had captured him rather than killing him, the story is obviously that there was a shoot out which isn't really that surprising of course. Capturing him would avoid martyrdom and if Al-Qaeda views their leader as captured, then nobody would rise within Al-Qaeda as a new "leader" (in whatever capacity that Bin Laden was leading in the last few years, which is something we don't (the general USA populace) know).

wow...really? this statement is not well thought out. If we captured Bin laden there would be terrorist attacks all over the place in hopes we would have to release him. So if he is captured no one can move up???? really? So second in command doesnt make any calls what so ever unless he is dead? Capture would be ideal but it would cause more death than ever because Al-Qaeda would just unleash hell on earth making the US look worse by not giving in and letting innocent people die. By doing this they would make the US goverment look bad to other countries and its own people. Exactly what they want. Unfortunatly, death was the only answer. This will stop nothing...just make them splinter off into smaller groups or even make them more dangerous. Will there be retibution? I am sure. Will the US hunt down those people? Yes.

I truly believe that it is reasonable to say that you feel certain aspects of Bin Laden's death could be fishy...but remember that it is part of a painfully thought-out and time-consuming war tactic that we are not supposed to know that much about. Question it. Do. But don't take it to a level where you believe that each maneuver we make in the war effort has some type of political agenda or hidden motive behind it.

I'm going to borrow this paragraph, Palabra. I agree with your entire post, but this really stands out to me.

I am going to say this and that is all i will say on this matter: Let's be clear on this: Neither a Conservative nor a Liberal or TEA Party member nor the President or any member of Congress or White House Staff member killed Bin Laden. It was a Member of the American Armed Forces that killed Bin Laden. These Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, and Airmen were not associated with any political party, just a member of a TEAM. And to think that these politicians are the same people who just a few weeks ago were debating on whether or not to PAY these Armed Forces Members. This is NOT a Liberal or Conservative or Independent victory, but an AMERICAN victory!!

Oh Yea this:

http://www.northwestembroidery.com/...=15&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=167

I am going to say this and that is all i will say on this matter: Let's be clear on this: Neither a Conservative nor a Liberal or TEA Party member nor the President or any member of Congress or White House Staff member killed Bin Laden. It was a Member of the American Armed Forces that killed Bin Laden. These Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, and Airmen were not associated with any political party, just a member of a TEAM. And to think that these politicians are the same people who just a few weeks ago was debating on whether or not to PAY these Armed Forces Members. This is NOT a Liberal or Conservative or Independent victory, but an AMERICAN victory!!

Oh Yea this:

http://www.northwestembroidery.com/...=15&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=167

Well said John!

I am going to say this and that is all i will say on this matter: Let's be clear on this: Neither a Conservative nor a Liberal or TEA Party member nor the President or any member of Congress or White House Staff member killed Bin Laden. It was a Member of the American Armed Forces that killed Bin Laden.

Really? Because I would have *sworn* Obama put on an Iron Man suit, flew over there, and killed bin Laden himself.

Please don't make me go all Jon Schaffer on everyone's ass because you cannot keep it civil.

Conspiracy theorists line up to the right behind Brother Ventura.

Liberalites line up on the left where the goverment can do no wrong.

Civil adults that are happy that justice has been served and could care less about anything else can line up behind me.

Last line = me.

Please don't make me go all Jon Schaffer on everyone's ass because you cannot keep it civil.

Conspiracy theorists line up to the right behind Brother Ventura.

Liberalites line up on the left where the goverment can do no wrong.

Civil adults that are happy that justice has been served and could care less about anything else can line up behind me.

Hear the voice of wisdom. I'll join the line.:headbang:

LOL, srsly?!

I know FULL well we had political debates before, that got pretty heated in the past. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and pretend you know what a funny is. K brah? :) <3

Absolutely. I'll admit I was pretty excited at the Amon Amarth show when a friend called me and told me about Osama's demise, and I started spreading the word amongst friends. It's certainly an achievement to feel pride in and provides closure not just to the 9/11 victims' families, but also to the US forces who have labored over the years to help bring this about.

Kudos to the President for making the right call in sending in SEAL Team 6 instead of dropping a few JDAMs on the compound. Apparently he was considering the latter, but decided against it because he was told it would leave the compound a pile of rubble. (Gosh, really?)

I was a bit dismayed at the narcissism in Obama's speech, but I give him credit for calling George W. Bush as soon as they knew "Geronimo" was dead -- if anyone deserved closure, it was GWB. Remember, it was his much-criticized policy of CIA interrogations that made this attack possible. (We discovered the identity of Osama's courier via CIA interrogation during Bush's term, and the courier -- plus signal intelligence -- was the only way we found the compound.)

edit, allergies have messed up my eyes... sorry but I cannot agree with this at all. All good though.

Kudos to the President for making the right call in sending in SEAL Team 6 instead of dropping a few JDAMs on the compound. Apparently he was considering the latter, but decided against it because he was told it would leave the compound a pile of rubble. (Gosh, really?)

Do you have a link for this? I know Leon Panetta stated that Obama was concerned about the collateral damage that this may cause, plus members of his administration convinced him that retrieving the body was imperative for purposes of identifying the remains (presumably to help discredit conspiracy theorists like those birther retards, as well as Muslim extremists), but I haven't seen any reports stating that Obama didn't understand that JDAMs would leave the compound in a pile of rubble. This sounds more like someone's editorial comment being stated as fact, so I'm curious to know where this was reported and who made this comment.

I was a bit dismayed at the narcissism in Obama's speech

Was it because he DID NOT land on an aircraft carrier in a flight suit and give the speech in front of a "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" banner? :lol:

In all seriousness, I thought it was a very strong speech, so I would be curious to know what sections of the verbiage you felt were indicative of Obama’s narcissism.

On another note, it would have been cool if Bush had accepted this invitation from our narcissistic President…

Former President George W. Bush Declines President Obama's Invite to Ground Zero

I don't like Obama. I never have. I never will. He's not going to get any vote from me, ever. However, he deserves a lot of credit for this. The serviceman who killed bin Laden would never have had the opportunity had Obama not made a gutsy call.

This could have easily tuned out to be a complete cluster-fuck like Delta Force's mission in Iran did. Some similarities are eerie, like the loss of one of their helicopters. While everyone is all caught up in the jubilation of the success, no one seems to realize how wrong this could have gone. Giving the green light to this mission was a bold move on Obama's part, and he deserves full credit for his part.

None of that diminishes the accomplishment of the warriors who executed this mission perfectly! Their dedication and skills are unmatched in the entire world, and they have the gratitude of America and me personally. However, there is plenty of credit to go around. Clearly, a lot of people are trying to deflect any of the credit from falling to Obama, which is unfair.

Give credit where it's due. As far as I'm concerned, it's one of the very few things he's done right, and it's the only time he's acted like a competent Commander in Chief. But this time he stepped up, and did the right and courageous thing.

He's still going down in 2012, though. :cool:

As for bin Laden, I don't care how people react to his death. Jubilation, pride, satisfaction, relief, or any combination of those is appropriate as far as I'm concerned.

It's said that some people need killing. That couldn't be any truer of this mad dog, and when a mad dog is killed I have no concern for how terrible death is. I'm glad the bastard is dead, so I don't have to pay to feed and clothe him for the rest of his life. If someone wants to dance in the street in celebration, more power to 'em.

Does celebrating make that person no better than our enemies? Frankly, I don't give a shit, and personally, I don't think we are any better anyway. We're just different. However, if you have to ask the question consider this: The American is celebrating the justice brought to a man who has been responsible for the death of thousands all over the world.
The people who were celebrating on 9-11 were doing so for the justice brought to 3000 people guilty of crime of being American.
If you can't fathom the difference, you likely never will.

I also feel a sense of righteous justice when I consider that the last thing that motherfucker Osama bin Laden saw in this world was an American.

That... is... Karma.

I don't like Obama. I never have. I never will. He's not going to get any vote from me, ever. However, he deserves a lot of credit for this. The serviceman who killed bin Laden would never have had the opportunity had Obama not made a gutsy call.

This could have easily tuned out to be a complete cluster-fuck like Delta Force's mission in Iran did. Some similarities are eerie, like the loss of one of their helicopters. While everyone is all caught up in the jubilation of the success, no one seems to realize how wrong this could have gone. Giving the green light to this mission was a bold move on Obama's part, and he deserves full credit for his part.

None of that diminishes the accomplishment of the warriors who executed this mission perfectly! Their dedication and skills are unmatched in the entire world, and they have the gratitude of America and me personally. However, there is plenty of credit to go around. Clearly, a lot of people are trying to deflect any of the credit from falling to Obama, which is unfair.

Give credit where it's due. As far as I'm concerned, it's one of the very few things he's done right, and it's the only time he's acted like a competent Commander in Chief. But this time he stepped up, and did the right and courageous thing.

He's still going down in 2012, though. :cool:

As for bin Laden, I don't care how people react to his death. Jubilation, pride, satisfaction, relief, or any combination of those is appropriate as far as I'm concerned.

It's said that some people need killing. That couldn't be any truer of this mad dog, and when a mad dog is killed I have no concern for how terrible death is. I'm glad the bastard is dead, so I don't have to pay to feed and clothe him for the rest of his life. If someone wants to dance in the street in celebration, more power to 'em.

Does celebrating make that person no better than our enemies? Frankly, I don't give a shit, and personally, I don't think we are any better anyway. We're just different. However, if you have to ask the question consider this: The American is celebrating the justice brought to a man who has been responsible for the death of thousands all over the world.
The people who were celebrating on 9-11 were doing so for the justice brought to 3000 people guilty of crime of being American.
If you can't fathom the difference, you likely never will.

I also feel a sense of righteous justice when I consider that the last thing that motherfucker Osama bin Laden saw in this world was an American.

That... is... Karma.

Great post. <333

What makes it a gutsy call is that all they knew was that there was a "high level target" in the compound. They couldn't be sure it was bin Laden. If bin Laden had not been there and the mission had gone off poorly like the one in Iran in 1980, the criticism would have been intense. I remember how much criticism Bush got when Predator drone missiles hit the wrong target. Imagine taking casualties inside Pakistan and coming up empty. Would have made the CIA look really stupid and the President look really bad as well. So this isn't as obvious a call as it seems in hindsight.

What makes it a gutsy call is that all they knew was that there was a "high level target" in the compound. They couldn't be sure it was bin Laden. If bin Laden had not been there and the mission had gone off poorly like the one in Iran in 1980, the criticism would have been intense. I remember how much criticism Bush got when Predator drone missiles hit the wrong target. Imagine taking casualties inside Pakistan and coming up empty. Would have made the CIA look really stupid and the President look really bad as well. So this isn't as obvious a call as it seems in hindsight.

I'll agree with this...although if the mission HAD come up empty, they could certainly have smothered it with operational secrecy (and quite rightly, too) and issued a blanket statement that a counterterrorism strike was conducted inside Pakistan but no high-value targets were seized.

Speaking of which, it just occurred to me that it might have been better if the exact target and timing had been kept quiet a bit longer: The SEALs recovered a wealth of data from the compound and assuming it's high-value, ya gotta figure that lots of senior al-Queda people have been realllly nervous since Sunday night...and running and ducking for cover like mad. If the raid had been kept quiet just long enough for CIA to analyze the data, the terrorists wouldn't have had any warning and might have made easier targets for, umm, "pickup." :)

Since Obama has made the decision not to release the OBL photos publically, I was thinking they could instead hold a private viewing for 9/11 victims' families and a very select few others, to grant them some closure. ("No cameras or cell-phones, please.")

It would have been better to not announce it, but for political reasons the President had to. We're beginning an election campaign soon, so sitting on the info would have brought accusations of waiting until the best moment to increase his poll standings. Back in 2004, some people speculated that bin Laden was already dead and we had the body and we were going to pull it out to show everyone in Oct 2004 so Bush could win the election.