black & death: the top 10

tapegasser

New Metal Member
Apr 6, 2002
phishhook.com
looking for the top 10 black metal albums and the top 10 death metal albums. I love both styles and want to start my collection w/the cream of the crop. thanx in advance. this board is very informative.

This is too hard! A few I can withou doubt say qualify to the black metal top are: MAYHEM - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas (Best album ever), Ulver - Nattens Madrigal (Second best album ever) and then the exact positions become blurred, but go for Bathory - Blood Fire Death and earlier works, Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky, Under a Funeral Moon and Transilvanian Hunger, Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar oss, Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi. Start with those, not all are srictly black metal though but near enough.

I can't give you a top 10 black metal so here is my top ten death metal of all time:

1. Suffocation - Effigy of The Forgotten
2. Immolation - Close to a World Below
3. Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick
4. Suffocation - Pierced From Within
5. Cryptopsy - None So Vile
6. Dying Fetus - Destroy the Opposition
7. Immolation - Here In After
8. Vader - De Profundis
9. Deicide - Legion
10. Demilich - Nespithe

I could name more but those are my personal favorites.

tapegasser said:
looking for the top 10 black metal albums and the top 10 death metal albums. I love both styles and want to start my collection w/the cream of the crop. thanx in advance. this board is very informative.

My personal black metal top 10 would include two Limbonic Art albums. "In Abhorrence Dementia" and "Ad Noctum - The Dynasty of Death".
It would also include Ulver's "Bergatt", Dissection's "Storm of the Light's Bane", Summoning's "Dol Guldur", Satyricon's "Nemesis Divina", Nagelfar's "Virus West", Borknagar's "Olden Domain", Arcturus' "Aspera Hiems Symfonia" and Dornenreich's "Bitter ist's dem Tod zu Dienen".

This board isn't very informative, most people will name turds like Cryptopsy's "None So Vile", Nile's "In Their Darkened Shrines" and Emperor's "In The Nightside Eclipse".

This is a tough question. Very tough. I'll give it a go. Not in order though.

Black Metal (or close):
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Burzum - Det Som Engang Var
Burzum - Filosofem (not really black but still exceptional)
Graveland - Thousand Swords
Graveland - The Celtic Winter
Graveland - Carpathian Wolves
Summoning - Dol Guldur
Moonblood - Blut Und Krieg
Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
Fullmoon - United Aryan Evil

Death Metal (or close):
The Chasm - Deathcult For Eternity: The Triumph
The Chasm - Conjuration of the Spectral Empire
Massacra - Final Holocaust
Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry
Afflicted - Prodigal Son
Demilich - Nespithe
Therion - Beyond Sanctorum
Miasma - Changes
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Gorguts - Obscura

There are many more absolutely essential releases, if you'd like me to name them then just ask.

Goffdahl said:
My personal black metal top 10 would include two Limbonic Art albums. "In Abhorrence Dementia" and "Ad Noctum - The Dynasty of Death".
It would also include Ulver's "Bergatt", Dissection's "Storm of the Light's Bane", Summoning's "Dol Guldur", Satyricon's "Nemesis Divina", Nagelfar's "Virus West", Borknagar's "Olden Domain", Arcturus' "Aspera Hiems Symfonia" and Dornenreich's "Bitter ist's dem Tod zu Dienen".
Srontgorrth is a better Nagelfar release.

Not so big on Black Metal, but for Death Metal:

#1) Demilich - Nesphite
#2) Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry
#3) Decapitated - Nihility
#4) Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick
#5) Disgorge - She Lay Gutted
#6) Vehemence - God Was Created
#7) Suffocation - Pierced From Within
#8) Necronomicon - Pharaoh of the Gods
#9) The Chasm - Conjuration of the Spectral Empire
#10) Zyklon - World OV Worms

Adramelech - Pyschotasia
Carnage/Cadaver Split - Dark Recollections/Hallucinating Anxiety
Demilich - Nesphite
Gorguts - Considered Dead
Immolation - First 3 again!
Incantation - Any from their first 3 full lengths will do
Intestine Baalism - An Anatomy Of The Beast
Massacra - Pick any from their first 3
Miasma - Changes/Love Songs
Uncanny - Splenium For Nyktophobia

Death Metal(in no particular order):

Nocturnus -The Key
Obituary -Slowly We Rot
Death -Individual Thought Patterns
Possessed -Seven Churches
Carnage -Dark Recollections
Entombed -Left Hand Path
Dissection -Storm Of The Light's Bane(more like melodic death/black, but eh, it works)
Cynic -Focus(jazzy prog./death)
Atheist -Piece Of Time
Pestilence -Consuming Impulse

Wicked Child said:
Death Metal(in no particular order):

Nocturnus -The Key
Obituary -Slowly We Rot
Death -Individual Thought Patterns
Possessed -Seven Churches
Carnage -Dark Recollections
Entombed -Left Hand Path
Dissection -Storm Of The Light's Bane(more like melodic death/black, but eh, it works)
Cynic -Focus(jazzy prog./death)
Atheist -Piece Of Time
Pestilence -Consuming Impulse
You put albums like Focus and Piece of Time ahead of Unquestionable Presence? :err:

I have to say, I'm actually quite impressed with the responses so far, considering what I was expecting.

I'm not really a huge enough black metal fan to make a good top 10, but for death metal, in no particular order:

Carcass - Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious
Cynic - Focus
Death - Human
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick (could easily be replaced with Alters of Madness)
Immolation - Close to a World Below
Obituary - Cause of Death (could be replaced with Slowly we Rot)
Entombed - Left Hand path
The Chasm - Conjuration of the Spectral Empire
Decapitated - Winds of Creation

^^^

I can't do that. It's constantly changing, though Demilich, Arghoslent, Miasma, and Suffocation would most definitely be there, I just can't do that.

Guardian of Darkness said:
You put albums like Focus and Piece of Time ahead of Unquestionable Presence? :err:

I have to say, I'm actually quite impressed with the responses so far, considering what I was expecting.
Well i love the unpredictability of Focus, i like the jam session feel, the odd vocals, everything about it. I understand it's a love it or hate it album, so i respect your opinion. As for Atheist, don't get me wrong, i love Unquestionable Presence. Everytime i listen to it, the sheer complexity and technicality of the musicanship and the song structure itself takes my breath away as if it were the first time hearing the album all over again. HOWEVER, I am a bigger thrash fan, so the mammoth thrash riffs in Piece Of Time suits me better and i like the more stripped down, straight ahead feel of it, though it's still technical as fuck. Piece Of Time beats out Unquestionable Presence for me....but barely.

"Focus" is an amazing album. I can't decide which is better, Focus or Unquestionable Presence. Ahh jazz-death.

Anyway, since I'm not all that familiar with black metal, I'll just give my death metal list Keep in mind I am including melodic death and prog-death as well.
In no order.

1. Immolation-Close to a World Below (easily their best)
2. Suffocation-Pierced From Within
3. Death-Human
4. Origin-Informis Infinitas Inhumanitas
5. Demilich-Nespithe
6. Suffocation-Effigy of the Forgotten
7. Vehemence-God Was Created
8. Vital Remains-Dawn of the Apocalypse
9. Carcass-Necroticism
10. Morbid Angel-Blessed Are The Sick.