Black\Death Vocals?

NightFlier

Oct 28, 2001
Hey, How many people here preffer black metal vocals or death metal vocals. Personally i preffer death vocals(Opeth,Six feet Under,Mortitian,Flesh Feast etc..) as apposed to black vocals. THe riffs are often pretty deadly but I just cant seem to get into it.
Am i insane:confused:

i cant really say as i love cradle of filth, opeth and others like suffocation, astriaal and abremalin. i dont know.
i love it all!

Well, since I'm a long time metal fan (damn near 20 years now), I'd have to say the growling death metal style. I was of course introduced to this style much earlier than the black metal style. I got used to them and they became fairly "normal" to me. Due to the fact that I was so used to the "death" style, when I first heard the "black" style I immediately thought they sounded kind of weak and almost silly. I still can't really get into the "black" style, though I do listen to a bit of black metal. I listen to it for the music though, and I pay little attention to the vocals.

Someone who can actually sing.

If someone growls simply because they cannot sing, then i have no respect for them.

I love Mikael's growling and black vocals, and he is truly a great singer...

Respect for u mah brutha..!

I also love the growling kind of style, where my absolute favourite is Mr. David Vincent from Morbid Angel in his early days. I appreciate his vocals on "Blessed are the sick" very much. They are brutal, deep enough and understandable, and they're catchy. He's great. I don't like screaming like "cradle..." at all but i like the full-of-hate vocals from Nocturno Culto of Darkthrone. I also don't like "broken-lawnmower"-vocal grunts, like Suffocation or Cannibal Corpses Butchered at birth.

I'm still looking forward to the "perfect" OPETH Record, where not only the clean parts are "catchy", but also the death vocals are more rock'n'roll, that would be nice. A mixture between "Harvest" and "maze of torment" from MA would rock :D

Well, I prefer Hansi Kürsch from Blind Guardian above all else...

But between Black and Death... I don't know. Would the distorted vocals in Borknagar and Vintersorg be considered black?

What about the distorted vocals in Elvenking's stuff... is that death?

I don't listen to much that is all black screams or all death growls, but I listen to a decent amount of stuff with a mixture.

I do like Dimmu Borgir... and Children of Bodom is ok, but CoB vocals get on my nerves sometimes. So does the second song on Emperor's IX Equilibrium.

I think I find death growls are easier for me to listen to, but then I'm thinking of Opeth when I think of death vocals. I don't really listen to any "true" death metal. I don't like Cannibal Corprse kinda vocals or anything that sounds like a septic tank backing up.

*shrug*

I just like what sounds good to me.

Originally posted by Soul Forlorn
I still can't really get into the "black" style, though I do listen to a bit of black metal. I listen to it for the music though, and I pay little attention to the vocals.

Yeah, i listen to it for the music but the vocals are hard to get into.

Originally posted by rogue27
I don't listen to much that is all black screams or all death growls, but I listen to a decent amount of stuff with a mixture.

I think its good when there is a mix between the two styles but less black and more death.

I don't really prefer any of the two. What's more important to me is that they fit the music. Besides, having listened to metal only a short while I don't really know which is which anyway (Black metal vocals = Darkthrone, Death metal = Opeth ?)

Originally posted by Human Life
I prefer "good" vocals whether they are Black or Death.

I have to say that I agree.
The vocals are a very important thing to me when it comes to metal .. or actually, any kind of music. If the vocals aren't good, I won't listen to it. But if the vocals happen to be good, it doesn't matter if they are clean, growled, shrieked, yelled, or whatever. Sometimes I feel like I should listen to something that has really extreme vocals, like Deicide, and sometimes I'm in the mood for Dream Theater-like vocals (but not often - I rarely can tolerate high pitched clean vocals). But most of the time, I don't care - as long as it's good in my ears.