Black Metal. uh, sorry.. "African American" Metal

tipthepizzaguy

New Metal Member
Jan 4, 2005
New Jersey
www.pages.drexel.edu
I was thinking of making a mix CD of metal/hardcore bands with black frontmen. The only bands I can think of off the top of my head are Sevendust, Nonpoint, Candiria, God Forbid, and Skindred, but then again I'm not trying very hard. Could any of you add to my list?

We had a topic about this a long time ago. Suffocation have two blacks in their band, and both of them rule. But they're not frontmen.

I do wander what's with the lack of black guys in metal... at least compared to say white guys...

I mean, Jimi Hendrix is black and easily argued the best guitarist of all time!

I'm not trying to push this into a debate, so sorry if it does but predominately black people are bought up with music such as R'n'B, Rap, Hip-Hop, Soul etc.. these days, more traditionally you're talking Blues, Soul, Jazz etc...

In reply to WNxScythe by the way ^

God Forbid has all black guys and a white bass player. Nevermore has a black drummer (don't try to tell me he isn't black, I've met him on several occasions). Killswitch Engayge (hehe) has a black singer. Cephalic Carnage's singer has some color in him, not sure what he is though.

tipthepizzaguy said:
My friend insists that all black musicans are rap artists. I wanted to prove that there are some good black metal artists out there.
Fuck that. Just kick him in the spine.

KMADD said:
Here's a couple Bad Brains(punk/metal/reggae), the recently reunited Living Colour,
have black vocalists!

Umm, no - the members of both bands are all black...well, I know the guys in Living Colour are. With all the lineup changes of the Bad Brains, it's hard to tell.

Also, don't forget the first Metallica demo on Metal Massacre 1 which has Lloyd Grant on lead guitar. Rollins Band also had Melvin Gibbs for 2 albums. (Both of these gentlemen are black.)

^^^
Agreed! He is, however, easily argued the most overrated guitarist of all time.

And I think tipthepizzaguy made this thread only so that he could use that clever line in the title.