black metal

Originally posted by Trapped

She is a bonafide GOTH. you know, the whole 'white makeup' face kindof girl, with the tight shirt and doc-martens... a 'tortured-soul'.

haha...i know what u mean...they tend to be alot of those type ppl in england, at least there were when i went there...there's also this girl in my school who turned like that after she got back from her holiday in england

Originally posted by _Transparent_
i thought people dont like cradle, dimmu etc because theyre shit :confused:

Me too, although I like some Dimmu Borgir songs. Then again I love old Mayhem, Darkthrone etc.

Damned Now playing thingie is too small!

i think Sullen jester is way off base. Most people here don't dislike Shitknot because they are "not their band, therefore not as good". People hate them because they suck, and I resent you suggesting that people voicing their opinons on their dislike of a band is based on arbitrary scen and image conflicts. Don't generalize. I give massive credit to bands with talent, but not bands with not talent and a good PR agent. And I do listen to alot of BM and feel the same way about CoF and Dimmu: i hate'em, and not for their image or attitudes (although it doesn't help) but because I find both bands to be excessively annoying.

Originally posted by bleed for me
i know that there is a difference in the music, but just forget about the music for a minute

If this is what you want us to do, then this thread would almost be pointless wouldn't it? Music is the issue here for the most part. Cradle and Dimmu aren't black metal, and they do get slagged for trying to come across as something they aren't. Then again, Emperor and mayhem are slagged just as much, if not more these days. The thing is, the music has changed, and they are no longer black metal.

Imagine if some band started to take Opeths style of riffing and threw rap vocals over it. I have a feeling many of us would have similar feelings of spite against this band. Then, if it turned into a trend, it would be like trying to take away or demean the music that means so much to us. This is how I am guessing some feel about black metal. But of course, you do have some of the people who just want to seem "Trooer-than-thou".

Exactly, man, you nailed it! I've listened to ALL Cradle and Dimburger albums, and I can honestly say that I don't like them cuz they're shit: their music is bland and tedious - like in the Faith No More song - "you can dress up a dead man, but you can't bring him back to life". Both bands are gatherings of gymnasts who don't hear music.

The "troo" vs. "not troo" or "slipknot" vs "slipyes" arguments are always funny, but they are strictly local in the musical sense, and don't make much sense in a music discussion. (tautologies abound, I apologize)

D Mullholand

They are not shit, they are just not too your taste. :p

My band is doing a cover to Dimmu's 'Puritania' because it'd be fun to play live.. It's rather catchy too.. :)
That song rocks..! :headbang:

Originally posted by bleed for me
i notice how many die hard black metal fans usually go around dissing bands like cradle of filth and dimmu borgir because they say that they try to hard to look evil because they wear all black leather and make up and call them false watered down wannabe black metal....they then go on and praise "true" black metal bands like emperor and mayhem:confused:

is it just me or does this reek of hypocrisy? i mean, emperor and mayhem wear make up and black clothes and look evil and i bet so do other "true" black metal bands. i know that there is a difference in the music, but just forget about the music for a minute

well i'm not a big black metal nut (i do listen to it every now and then) which is why i'm making this thread...am i missing something? or is this ppl just dissing the more mainstream bands because of the "i'm cool because i listen to 'underground' music'" mentality?

btw...i'm not trying to dis anyone...this is an observation...i'm not one of those "black metal is for fags" kinda ppl so please don't give me shit about this
nikhil

Well well well, Nikhil Kumar, if it ain't my arch-nemesis from the MP.com forum. Hehehe, JK, man, I ain't seen ya around in a while.

Anywho, alot of the black metal people I meet are, as Trapped said, posers. People walkin around wearing fuckin Morbid Angel T-shirts, then the next day, walkin around in a GWAR or Mudvayne type shirt. It's like, dude, I saw you at the Slipknot concert sporting an I LIKE BONGS t-shirt, don't even TRY to discuss Opeth with me. Mikael Akerfeldt could play any of these Nu-Metalish bands under the table.

I'm definintely not a black metal nut, I haven't listened to it much, I don't really have anything against it though. I'm not exactly fond of wearing leather and acting like vampires though, I can appreciate vampiric atmosphered albums, or evil atmosphere, but I think a band just makes themself look stupid when they dress up in corpsepaint etc. This doesn't stop me from liking the music or anything, I like blackmetal sometimes, I just haven't got too deep into it, I guess.

Originally posted by Austin7

Well well well, Nikhil Kumar, if it ain't my arch-nemesis from the MP.com forum. Hehehe, JK, man, I ain't seen ya around in a while.

Anywho, alot of the black metal people I meet are, as Trapped said, posers. People walkin around wearing fuckin Morbid Angel T-shirts, then the next day, walkin around in a GWAR or Mudvayne type shirt. It's like, dude, I saw you at the Slipknot concert sporting an I LIKE BONGS t-shirt, don't even TRY to discuss Opeth with me. Mikael Akerfeldt could play any of these Nu-Metalish bands under the table.

nikhil kumar? mp.com? you must be mistaken...my last name is kamineni, and i've never been to MP.com

personally i think ppl wear band shirts for attention and...i know i'll get shit for this...posers

btw...i'm talking about shirts with huge pictures on them....not the ones with a nive clean logo on it

Originally posted by Trapped
The reason i was(AM!) so pissed off, is because i was mistaken for a 'GOTH' simply because i love metal. It is stupid that people's NAIIVEITY makes them think that Metal=Goth=Satan=Evil=Darkness
Hear, hear. Being female one is of course not able to be into metal, so one is instantly assumed to be a "goth" until proving otherwise (such as hanging around in the metal crowds, wearing band T-shirts and make referrences to to all things "evil" rather than all things "depressing").
My ex boyfriend was the target of something like that though. :D While we were still dating, I met this girl from his old class on the bus (side note: she used to have a crush on him, back in the days before he grew his hair long and started wearing black) and she wondered if he was still doing that "gothic" thing. Hehe. She was also a little bit worried that he'd started wearing black make-up and dyed his hair black. Mmhmm... because that's what people whose favourite bands are Rhapsody and Vintersorg tend to do.

You shouldn't complain about her not knowing certain things though... it'd been worse if she pretended to.
I have an example of this girl who decided she was a cool and even black-rocker/metal-head. Mmhmm.. Someone asked her if she liked Alice Cooper and she responded... "Yeah, I think I've heard some of HER stuff".

ay...

Originally posted by Oyo
"um? uh? er? eh? oh, hmmm!"
"Umm..."
"hmmmmmm"

Insightful :lol:
You misqouted my sig!! its "um......" not "Umm..."

i like Kings Of The Carnival Creation
i dont like the earlier albums by dimmu, at all

I have an example of this girl who decided she was a cool and even black-rocker/metal-head. Mmhmm.. Someone asked her if she liked Alice Cooper and she responded... "Yeah, I think I've heard some of HER stuff".

....Uh... would you explain to me exactly WHEN Alice Cooper was ever 'cool'....?? :lol: :lol: