Looking for some black metal

Birkenau

New Metal Member
Aug 11, 2004
Australia
I'm moving out soon and won't have the internet, alas I will not be able to access any new music for quite some time, so I should stock up.

I'm looking for some good black metal bands, I'm especially fond of the more depressive ones (Burzum, Silencer, Abyssic Hate etc) but anything is good.

ps. please don't recommend the bands that I would probably already know, Emperor, Mayhem, Immortal etc.

let's see then...take your pick (this is everything I have minus obvious ones)

Abigor*
Absu*
Agathodaimon*
Akercocke*
Anaal Nathrakh*
Averse Sefira*
Bal-Sagoth*
Barad Dur
Bathory*
Behemoth
Blackdeath
Borknagar*
Caedes
Dark Funeral
Dark Storm
Diaboli
Diabolical Masquerade
Dissection*
Eternity
Forest
Frostkrieg
Graveworm
Hellhammer
Immortal (hah)
Impaled Nazarene*
Infernum
Isenburg
Kampfar
Landvaettir
Legion of Doom
Limbonic Art*
Marduk (hah)
Mirrorthrone*
Morgul
Mysticum
Naglfar
Nargaroth*
Summoning
Tsjuder*
Vinterriket
Zephyrous

* = the better ones

Thanks, I've heard about half or so of those already, but I'll check out the ones that you've asterisked that I haven't heard.

Shadows Skulk said:
Impaled Nazarene*

Haha. I saw those guys live last month. I personally didn't like them much but I can see why some people do. But it WAS entertaining anyhow, they had awesome song titles. The dude is yelling like "tämän seuraavan biisin nimi on NYRKILLÄ TAPETTAVA HUORA." ("this next one's called A WHORE TO KILL WITH YOUR FIST."). Awesome. :D

Bleh, I listened to Tol Cormpt Norz Norz Norz a few months ago, I really failed to see whats so good about the band, maybe that isn't their best release.

Henkka said:
Haha. I saw those guys live last month. I personally didn't like them much but I can see why some people do. But it WAS entertaining anyhow, they had awesome song titles. The dude is yelling like "tämän seuraavan biisin nimi on NYRKILLÄ TAPETTAVA HUORA." ("this next one's called A WHORE TO KILL WITH YOUR FIST."). Awesome. :D

Random story, I was reading some old news papers I found in my closet, and in the band reviews section it said that they were playing in my City. I live on the other side of where they come from (Finland?), in a city that only had 100,000 people, i thought this was very random.

Of you like depressing BM, you really should check out Xasthur if you haven't already, that aside Dusk are damn good miserable BM, their (his) album is available on Regimental but its limited to 1000 copies so be quick.

hehe, Xasthur.. sure!
i was just going to recomend it myself.

also check out last Deathspell Omega-Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
depressing/apocalyptic bm.

also try leviathan's latest. great album..
and krieg - the black house

something i've been listening lately..

oh, and if you like "kvlt" :) punky bm try noenum's Black Esoteric Evangelium

arckanum - fran marder is a great record. Kinda dynamic...Dodheimsgard - kronet til konge has vocals from aldrahan (zyklon-b) except this performance is by far his best...also has fenriz on bass. Zyklon-b - blood has been shed is great. Taake - nattestid is very relentless but also very beautiful...the last track has some very Opethy melodies (similar to the moor)...one of my fav. bm songs ever. Gontyna Kry - Welowie is a raw nsbm band with some great emotion too.

Fucking WEAKLING!!! They only made one album (Dead as Dreams) before disbanding, but that one album slays about 99% of all other black metal out there. Dead as Dreams is essential! Then you need to check out Xasthur, Deathspell Omega, Leviathan and maybe Draugar. But first get DEAD AS DREAMS!

So far these are on the list, all the others I've probably heard already.

abigor - Nachthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom)
mirrorthrone - Of Wind and Weeping
dub buk - Idu na Vi!
arckanum - Fran Marder
agathodaimon - Chapter III
gontyna kry - Welowie
melechesh - Sphynx
Forest of Fog - Nebelhymnen
weakling - Dead as Dreams

Are these their best albums, or should I be looking for something else?

Not a huge fan of BM myself, but I would recommend the first Arcturus album, "Aspera Hiems Symfonia" to just about anyone with a passing interest in BM.

I have never cared for the poorly played, badly written and produced "true" BM...

NineFeetUnderground said:
1. Abigor
2. Ulver
3. Burzum
4. Weakling
5. Arcturus

Hey, something we agree on! =P

Slightly off-topic, but I was wondering if anyone of you has heard of Black Funeral. I was in the music store yesterday, and I saw a CD by them, and for some reason, Black Funeral sounded REALLY familiar. Maybe that's just because their name sounds like a generic bm/dm name, but it seemed like I'd heard something about them in particular before. Does anyone know if they're any good?

Mantraschism said:
Hey, something we agree on! =P

Slightly off-topic, but I was wondering if anyone of you has heard of Black Funeral. I was in the music store yesterday, and I saw a CD by them, and for some reason, Black Funeral sounded REALLY familiar. Maybe that's just because their name sounds like a generic bm/dm name, but it seemed like I'd heard something about them in particular before. Does anyone know if they're any good?

black funeral is an american black metal band. often with vampire lyrical content...and theyre not very good at all.

they probably sound familiar because its similar to "dark funeral"...a swedish black metal band of considerable recognition (but not sure why) in the metal scene. do check out dark funeral's debut ep though...its not too shabby. produced by dan swano no less.

Definately get Melechesh - Sphynx, fucking awesome, apart from that, try:
Astriaal - Renscent Misanthropy and;
Nazxul - Totem
Both Aussie BM! Excellent stuff too. Decadent(Nick?) also just got me into Aeternus, get Beyond The Wandering Moon if you haven't already.