Black Metal

Before I knew anything about anything I called any non-death metal I listened to "Blackmetal." But really.. Old Man's Child is all the blackmetal I was into. I like the fact that it's melodic, and the guitar always impressed me. I *despised* Mayhem's "Wolf's Lair Abyss" (and actually sold it to someone on this forum).. so I can say that I have liked it.. and may like it again. But for now, my tastes are mellowing (with the occasional foray into Nile or Morbid Angel) to Radiohead, etc.. :devil:

Yeah have a double CD by Horna with four of their releases on it...
1)Hidentorni
2)Kodhi Yhdeksan Nousua
3)Perima Vihassa Ja Verikostossa
4)Ordo Regnum Sathanas...
killer stuff....all on woodcut records

Originally posted by .:warPig:.
those band like cannibal corpse... morbid angel and so on.. damn im sick of it.. that is not good music in my opinion.. that is just " hit_the_drums_as_fast_as_you_fucking_can_I_stuck_t
he_microphone_in_your_mouth_so_we_cant_hear_what_y
ou_are_"singing" "

Morbid Angel?? morbid angel are not like that man. have you even listened to them before? Hit the drums as fast as you can music? pete sandoval is one of the, if not the greatest drummer living today (my opinion). They are not even that fast to call them a band that just trys to play faster then the band before them. and their music is friggin great and you can hear what he is saying so you are wrong:mad:

I'm really not all that familiar with black metal. I've never really gotten into it due to the high-pitched screaming type of growls (they really get on my nerves quick). If the music is good enough, I'll try to ignore the vocals. A perfect example of this is the new Dimmu album. Some black metal bands really are extremely talented and have a lot to offer. Others just plain suck.
So basically, even though I'm not really a black metal fan I always give the band a chance before I judge it.

Yeah, I don't mind some Immortal and Marduk here and there...

I haven't heard the new one, but so far all the Emperor albums had a feeling of an unrealized potential for me - their decision to disband is probably for the better.

Satyricon are slightly overrated, in my opinion.

The synth-pop bands like Dimmu, Cradle and Covenant are rather useless and cheesy. Yes, I've heard the new Borgir. The production is awesome, the music is trite. It's all fake. I don't dislike keyboards (I'm a keyboardist myself) - I enjoy Limbonic Art and Bal-Sagoth (cheesy but talented !) - but the Borgeroid bands use them in a disgusting way.

Sure, the "troo" ideology falls apart when you rock it with one finger, just like the bibble.

D Mullholand

Originally posted by Duvall
But for now, my tastes are mellowing (with the occasional foray into Nile or Morbid Angel) to Radiohead, etc.. :devil:

It's interesting you should mention that because I think I'm the same in many respects. I can't really stand any heavy music anymore, prefering the new sounds of Anathema, Katatonia etc and generally just mellowing. (I don't really even like the heavier sound of new MDB). However I'm really starting to enjoy black metal, like I mentioned earlier. Not true black metal by any stretch of the imagination, but lately Emperor (oh my god, Emperor:loco: ), Zyklon, Dimmu Borgir etc.

To the guy who said he thought Emperor had unrealised potential: they realised that potential. The album's called 'Prometheus- The Discipline of Fire and Demise'.

There are 2 views i can take here

As music: I do not like it. I guess brutal death metal and melodic death bands ruined blackmetal for me ( even knowing that the first dt demos sound awfully close to black metal to me ). I just found it...i do not know it just does not fills me. Its aggressive yet not as agressive as i would like, can be melodic yet not as melodic as i would like. O and i would not even deal with other details as inencionally horrible sound production ( aka Ulver ) or things like that

As for the bands: Could not hate the more. Too image based, if they are not trying to impress people ( more like teens ) or something of the short i just do not understand it. I understand their ideas about paganism ( satanism its plain stupidity its the intelectual equivalent of church music to me ) i could even understand an artistic name ( would not respect it but could understand it ) but when the axes and the corpse painting begins i stop respecting. That is like the line for me between making your points and trying to be an spoiled clown that feels evil. Unaceptable and simply ridiculous. I have not being informed on someone like hatebringer actually beating up someone of the forum because he thinks they are fags, why should you burn a church then? that is the line.

Originally posted by Algol
I consider myself a Black Metal fan. I can appreciate the newer forms it has taken on, such as the more electronic sounding (dare I say "techno"?) influenced bands like ....and Oceans or Zyklon, or Thorns, or the more symphonic stuff like Dimmu. And I can appreciate the primitive Black Metal (or "True Black Metal") as well, for it's contributions to the Metal Universe.

Unfortunately, these days, the Black Metal scene is very watered down. There are just too many corpse-painted, power-chord playing wanna-be's, and I think alot of Black Metal fans are tired of the stagnation, and are looking for something else.

I'll be damned,(oops! too late!)! Another Black Metal fan that sees things the same way I do. Yeah, ...And Oceans and Thorns stuff is really massive. Skyfire isn't bad either for the melodic style, kind of a cross between Dimmu and COB.

And yeah, apart from a few bands that can pull it off,(Immortal, Darkthrone, etc.) the corpse paint era is dead... has been for years. Deffinately too saturated in that area. It's hard to take a band seriously when their "tales of northern darkness" are songs about Thursday night in Maddison, Wisconsin...

Skyfire is great....good band to bring up, though I wouldn't describe them as BM. For those who haven't heard them, its like music majors playing the most pissed off symphonic power metal you've ever heard with Tomas Lindgren singing

the corpse paint era is dead... has been for years

That's exactly what I was thinking. I can't remember he last time I saw a band who wore corpsepaint, must have been years ago.

It didn't really bother me at the time, some of those bands could wear modest make-up, have a great stage setup and put on a show that's more entertaining (Dissection for example.) Some I found were just too interested in looking 'scary' and saying 'scary' things and when I hear them squabbling over who is 'truer' BM I find it genuinely embarrasing. I really like new Dimmu, I think it musically very interesting and although they have lost a bit of cudos amongst the metal crowd I'm not that bothered.

hehe...guess you haven't seen Immortal recently:lol: I love Immortal, and honestly, would they have the same pissed off cartoon character type appeal w/out it? :lol: :lol:

damn...Immortal just won't change their image, despite the obvious musical progression

Ah yes Immortal, I have indeed seen them recently are there are of course excptions to every good rule.

Everyone, I'm sure laughed themselves silly when they saw those pics inside 'At the heart of Winter.' Yeh they still do the corpsepaint thing don't they. I don't loose much sleep over it though I have to say. If I like their music I'll still buy it. I think they're a bit tongue in cheek these days anway. Good for them.

Every Emperor fan should check our finnish pride Alghazanth. Their first album Thy Aeons Envenomed Sanity is just amazing. It's quality surprised me a lot when I first heard it. The latter album, Subliminal Antenorra (or something, those names are just horribe :p) is not as good as the first one. Sirius is another band worth checking, which I haven't seen mentioned. It's also very similar to Emperor.

Sirius is another band worth checking, which I haven't seen mentioned. It's also very similar to Emperor.

Sirius is one band I often considered buying, but I've never heard a single track of theirs. I read recently that they have dramatically changed their style check this out from a news entry at 666metal on 11/06/01:

"..Here's the deal - As you know we have a past much more related with the Black/Death/Extreme Metal scene, in which our first two albums are based. Nowadays we're working 100% on the composition & structure of the new album (to be recorded in January/February of 2002) and it happens to be HUGE change in sound, maybe beyond someone's wildest expectations. I can advance that our current musical stream has nowadays much more to with the style of bands like Static-X, Strapping Young Lad, Fear Factory, Machine Head or even hints of Slipknot or Rob Zombie -- all this mixed with huge electro-industrial components experimentation (did I just hear Nine Inch Nails or Rammstein?) :) Best regards" Carlos / SIRIUS

Eek! I was interested to learn more about their new direction so I checked them out here, I implore you to do the same:
Sirius mp3s

I thought it was a refreshing new direction for black metal.

I'm a fan of what most of you would probably call "true" black metal i.e. Darkthrone, Mayhem (old stuff), Emperor (both eras but post Nightside really isn't black metal), Burzum etc.

Granted some of them were quite image obsessed but still they made some really great music (anything old by Darkthrone, Mayhem - De Mysteriis dom Sathanas, anything old by Burzum). It isn't as much about the catchiness or complexity of the music but of the atmosphere they create.

Of the new black metal bands I don't care much for. As someone said before me, I prefer my black metal with poor production. Only good stuff that have come out in the last four years (that I've heard) are Zyklon, Darkthrone's new one and Ulver's Nattens Madrigal.

Of the Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth influenced stuff I won't say anything.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I can't remember he last time I saw a band who wore corpsepaint, must have been years ago.

Explain that to the idiots in my city. Everyone asshole here corpse paints all the time. Some bands even use funny names that sound truly stupid like " Lord Darkness" or "Lord Vampire Darkness" ( actually those 2 are in the same band ). Even goth bands in my city ( Enless Grief but refer to them as Carnes Bif ) do corpse paint and some other rarities. There are still stupid talentless idiots in my city and i doubt there are not any in the world maybe they do not have thousands of records sold but they are as or even more annoying.