Black rose immortal

RaZ

New Metal Member
Mar 2, 2004
Athens, Greece
Isn't that track just fuckin' awesome? It is one monster of a song! My favourite parts are the heavy riff at about 5:10 and the whole part after Mikez "solo spot" vocals at about 9 minutes into the song. Great stuff!
Comments?

I don't have a problem with the flow on Orchid or Morningrise, I don't think they just threw riffs together randomly, I think they must have had a plan, and it sounds fine to me. Maybe you people shouldn't have preconceived notions of how a song should progress and open your minds to these older, less logical progressions. Just my 2 cents.

bangadrian said:
I'm fine with less logical progressions in music... hell, my favorite musician is john coltrane, whose music grew increasingly abstract and unstructured throughout his career. The problem in Opeth's case is that this lack of structure is because of a lack of songwriting experience, not an artistic choice. As they progressed as a band, they (Mikael) learned how to make a song "flow" more naturally, and the band was better for it.

So, you're basicly telling us Mikael didn't have musical theory/knowledge when he started playing? I'm asking cuz I play guitar since my 11 (I'm 22 now) and I don't have any kind of musical theory and I've this problem in making music: I can't get from one riff to another easily, I'm always barred for a reason or another and all this makes me a lot sad.

I'm thinking about taking private guitar lessons with a friend, but I'm not sure yet about it. Also, I'm kinda easy to come-up with unstructured songs in the vein of opeth, I'm not sure if it's good or bad, but I already have done one whole song like that and to me this sounds good. It's not because its unstructured, but because it sounds opeth. I don't care much about if it's structured or not, I like the way it sounds, but I'm telling all this, because my favorite band isn't opeth, It's Novembre and their songs don't look too unstructured to me and I'd love to know what path I should engage in. Sorry for changing a bit the route of the thread.

I like Black Rose Immortal and to me it flows alright. What I don't like about that song is that I find it too long. To me, the real ending comes at the whisper "black rose immortal" and somehow, the song keeps going again and again... At that point I'm a bit tired of it. Just my opinion.

"BRI is incredible. Anyone who whines about it being too long should be neutered."
^ HAHAHAHAHAH
and i have to agree BRi does fucking rule its got opeths funkyest basslines in it (7:25) sometimes i listen to it and notice new things its not a song its a fucking journey!! and a beautiful one at that

This song is pretty much perfect and flows very well. I've never understood how people say that it sounds like ten songs thrown together. To me all the early stuff has a wide open, abstract feeling because they're goals were to display the wide array of emotions caused by an induvivual moment or event. I think they achieved thier goal to the fullest...

crimsonfloyd said:
This song is pretty much perfect and flows very well. I've never understood how people say that it sounds like ten songs thrown together. To me all the early stuff has a wide open, abstract feeling because they're goals were to display the wide array of emotions caused by an induvivual moment or event. I think they achieved thier goal to the fullest...
!!!

Blackrose Immortal is a pretty solid song, I'd say it's one of Opeth's top 10 songs of all time. I used to think that the song should've ended at around 14 minutes when he whispers "Black rose immortal"...i mean the song sounded like it was over, but it continued on with more greatness.

It's a wonderful song, yes. But what bothers me is that I never fully understood the lyrics... It's a short story according to Mikael... Lyrics interpretation anyone? :)