Blackwater Park - Concept or Not?

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
I have heard differing opinions from Opeth fans on whether or not Blackwater Park is a concept album. I have even heard people attempt to explain the story line. However, Mikael says it's not a concept album, in an interview he did for this web site.

UM: Well let's talk about the lyrics right now, is there a concept to this album?

MÅ: No, I really didn't have a concept this time. I felt like I have done that the last couple of albums. I wanted to do something different this time and maybe a bit more personal lyrics because obviously the concepts I come up with are pure fiction. I ended up writing lyrics 10 days before we were supposed to record and I wrote pretty fast; I didn't spend much time. Basically I ended up using everything I came up with. I just wrote. It is not a concept but you could say that there is a link between the songs because they all pretty much deal with the same kind of subject. Which are basically just personal thoughts taken from some kind of dark subconscious I got. I think all people have got some kind of dark inner thoughts and I kind of brought that forth for the lyrics this time. I found myself being more secluded from everything. I don't enjoy the company of people that much anymore. I am kind of suspicious of people.

Thoughts?

GZ

Well I think almost all albums Opeth makes are basically conceptual in some form or another. I think their songs are born in spontaneity, as the band doesn't practice very much before recording albums (at least that's what Mikael says) which is an interesting "concept" within itself. I guess it depends on your definition of concept? When I listen to Opeth, I listen to Opeth - I never get a feeling of listening to a concept album, such as Mayhem's "A Grand Declaration of War" - now that's a concept album (I just so happen to enjoy that record very much). I don't see opeth adding electronica sections or anything into their songs.

But who knows? Maybe next album there will be stuff like that. Opeth is Opeth! If they do electronics, I'm sure they'll still sound like Opeth. This album [Blackwater Park] has I believe the most prominant clean vocals out of all the albums, and sounds distinctly different from the others - much like all the other albums are distinctly different from eachother!

Needless to say I don't see an underlying "concept" in blackwater park - it just sounds like opeth making amazing music. I think MAYH was more of a concept album, with the flowing storyline based lyrics. Ahh well I'm rambling yet again! Cya guys - remember, catch me on ICQ or IM if ya want -

IM: T0mmyG667 (that's a zero - not an O)

Wow Opeth with electronics, that thought has never even crossed my mind. I would have to say that would be very cool, a brand new sound! Doubt it will happen and i'm sure most people would hate the idea of it. I guess I would be kinda worried if the next Opeth had electronics in it.

Originally posted by winter-frost
Wow Opeth with electronics, that thought has never even crossed my mind. I would have to say that would be very cool, a brand new sound! Doubt it will happen and i'm sure most people would hate the idea of it. I guess I would be kinda worried if the next Opeth had electronics in it.

I'm one of those who would hate it (I just don't like electronic music...such as Ulver's recent albums, yuck). I wouldn't mind if Opeth incorporated some synth/keyboards for additional atmosphere, but the great thing about Opeth is they have never needed it. Opeth has a way of creating atmosphere with guitars and not many other bands can match it.

Originally posted by Elisstar
I wouldn't mind if Opeth incorporated some synth/keyboards for additional atmosphere, but the great thing about Opeth is they have never needed it. Opeth has a way of creating atmosphere with guitars and not many other bands can match it.

Yes, very true. It's impressive how they create tons more of atmosphere and feelings than your averge gothic metal band... (although I enjoy that stuff too - when I'm in the right mood)

Originally posted by Nevyn

...tons more of atmosphere and feelings than your averge gothic metal band... (although I enjoy that stuff too - when I'm in the right mood)

Yeah, at least for me mood is a major part of listening music. If you're feeling sulky and want to dwell in it, just get some My Dying Bride going.. I mean, music can emphasize one's feelings. On the other hand, if you're feeling down and are about to go out partying, put in some frentic, uplifting music and after a while you're ready to start bashing beer barrels. :p

Whoa I just had a disturbing image in my head.
It was one of a DJ at a rave club, announcing: "This is a new song by a band called.. umm... (turns around, asking his friend how to pronounce the name) Opeeth? Opeth. This song has some mad phat jungle beats in it friends, take out your ecstacy and let's get this rave going! This song is called... The Leper Affinity (Jungle Remix)!"

Arrrrrgh! I apologize wholeheartedly for mentioning electronics. Eeeeeeek!:cry:

I thought I'd bring this up again.

I don't think Blackwater Park is a concept album, but it has a bit f the feel of one when you listen to it.

Anyone else havethoughts on this?

Steve

A concept album means there's a either a running storyline or a running theme throughout each song.

BWP has a lot of songs about hating people. Not so much wanting them to die as an expression of disgust towards the human race. Mikael said so himself, and he said that The Funeral Portrait and The Leper Affinity are lyrically geared towards that theme, as well as Blackwater Park (the song). But that's about it. Mikael said he doesn't know what Bleak is about, and if you ask me, Dirge for November doesn't speak out anything really, except a feeling of being psychologically lost and hopeless.

So BWP isn't a concept album at all.

winter-frost said:

Hell it might be cool if done right. Isn't there talk about them doing a black metalish album next? Some creepy synths and keys would fit great if that's the case. Emperor style. Opeth could pull it off. Just a thought.

or imagine instead of the great UNGH after the massive 'niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggghhhht' scream on leper affinity, a simple.... NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHTTTT.... BO!