Blackwater Park - Concept or Not?

The Leper Affinity and Bleak seem to explore similar themes.
But I don't know if I'd think that if they weren't side by side on the album.
To me, they both seem to vaguely be about some sort of erotic violence or something along those lines

Ok you try working out what the bloody hell the leper affinity is about, mikael quite clearly just wrote down a load of random thoughts so heavily allegorised that they're near indecipherable - pretty much my lyric writing style.

There are some BLATANT statements in these songs about hating humanity:

The Funeral Portrait
Like a derelict child
Heart burning for a stranger
Acsending to the meek
Flock round the liars in awe

Cacked in the soil beneath
Fear me when we meet
Turn away in admiration
My firm grip round the nucleus of joy

Enough of this
You will leave me now
You will see it now
Perish at my hands

[And most importantly]
And you are jsut like them all
Stained by the names of fathers
-------------------------------------------
I wonder if he means society by "the names of fathers", as in society is the cause of humanity being in the shameful state it's in.

I found it strange that on Dirge it seems like the guy in the lyrics is dying and the next song is called the funeral portrait.

And Mikael seems kind of evil with his digust for people and that shit. He seemed normal to me until i read that intreview.

Not. Mike confirmed it a few times that isn't a concept.

Neurotomania said:
OK you try working out what the bloody hell the leper affinity is about, mikael quite clearly just wrote down a load of random thoughts so heavily allegorised that they're near indecipherable - pretty much my lyric writing style.

:lol: I remember the first time I read some lyrics on Orchid. I wanted to know what it meant. The majority of answers were like... "It doesn't have to mean anything. They're just words to compliment the song."

You can make out the feeling behind each song. I accepted a long time ago there wasn't a tidy answer to complete the puzzle like, "Oh, this part is about our hero finding out his girlfriend died."

Every song I knew of before Opeth wasn't like this with the lyrics. Opeth give you ideas with words and that's it. Morningrise had a few shinning moments of obscure lyrics. MAYH and SL are obviously concepts but BWP came back to the same idea with some whacked out lines here and there.

Overall, BWP is about hating/being disgusted by humanity. I think that's already been said a few times. D1 & D2... I'm still feeling out. Life's sadness and pains perhaps.

Here's the quote from the interview...

"Yeah, “The Leper Affinity” and “Funeral Portrait” and “Blackwater Park” is about how disgusting I find people. “The Leper Affinity” and “Funeral Portrait” are basically the same lyric. It’s just mocking other people. “Harvest” is a bit more melancholic. It’s just about lying on your deathbed. “The Drapery Falls” is also like “The Leper Affinity” and “Funeral Portrait.” “Bleak” I don’t know what that’s about. [laughs]"