Blackwater Park song meanings

You should try to get your hands on a copy of LAMENTATIONS OF THE FLAME PRINCESS (there's a website) and read the interviews in there. It's covered in one of the latest issues. That's what I like the most about it. I have each issue that has an interview with Mikael and he covers where the songs came from.

Blackwater Park I only kept the main impression from his description of songs - humans are foul. ;) Dirge, you must know, is a 'recipe' for suicide. Every single time someone asks these questions about the song meanings online, I want to run home and read the issue with the answers.

I'm sure by the end of the weekend you'll have plentiful answers here though.

Basically what Opet said. They don't have that much specific meaning though, since he's said that he'll just get some image in his head and try to express it through words, and that's really where they come from. There's no benefit of a story on this one to give them some kind of base.

But it's something like this:
Leper Affinity, Drapery, Funeral Portrait, BWP: People suck
Harvest: Dying/dead guy
Dirge: Someone killing themself
Bleak: No idea

-Hondo

If it was something specific he'd probably have mentioned it. I don't know. I'll read it closely for a bit and see what I can make out.

It seems like.. this is weird, but they're outside and it's cold from the "Break of morning/coldness lingers on" and "Breath comes out white clouds"

And.. someone is dying, or dead (bereavement tips me off), and there's this person who's grief stricken, and some kind of liar and.. oh, maybe he/she is saying how he cared so much about whoever now that they're gone or something like that. And the speaker can't take it, and chokes them (mist circles round your thin white neck/and draws me a line/cold fingers mark this dying wreck). I don't know how the "a liquid seeps from your chest" line fits, exactly.

The "help me cure you" stanza seems to show that he thinks this is what's best for whoever he's killing.

And the last one, I cannot figure out.

Maybe it all means nothing.

-Hondo

Bleak:

Slight twist, shivering corpse
Ornated with water, fills the cracks
Clasped in my lims by tradition
This is all you need

-- I'd say it's about someone's dying, with a suggestion of homicide.

Plunging towards bereavement faster yet
Clearing thoughts, my mind is set

-- The interesting thing is, if bleak is about a murderer and the murdered, the lyrics ambiguously flip back and forth: it's difficult to tell which- the murderer or the victim - "my", "your", "me", "you," etc. refer to... spooky

(just my intepretation)

I heard Bleak was about the narrator killing an ex-girlfriend for whatever reason. It's pretty obviously about killing SOMEONE at least, no?

As far as Opeth's lyrics go I try to think of a story rather than an actual literal meaning as most of the lyrics were (I belive) written to create a certain mood or atmosphere (sp??). Some songs that create a kind of strong story in my head are April Ethereal and The Moor. The Moor in particular! Are you familar with the greek myth about Orphius? (sp?) When his lover dies he goes to hades to try and reclaim her. That is what I think of when listening to The Moor! But In the song I think the story is flipped. That the Narrator who was betrayed had died 15 years ago has awoken again to walk the land of the living in search of his love meaning to take her back with him and seek revenge on tjose who betrayed him. The lyrics have a disoriented feel to them with all the mention of fog as if awakening from a deep sleep. Another reason why this story has been beaten into my head is the album art. The cover to me looks like an image of hell and the back, the gate to it. Read the lyrics and see if you know where I'm coming from!

Looks like there's many different interpretations to be had. Another thing to keep in mind is that when he writes the lyrics, they're usually all in one sitting. It's not like he sat down one afternoon and wrote the lines to Bleak and then a week later got an idea and wrote Blackwater Park. I think he's quoted as saying that he works (writes) best when he's under pressure.

"I would, but the author is an idiotbox. Hear me Jim? Idiotbox. I'll probably order a subscription next time I buy CD's at the end, shut up."

tongue3.gif

That idiotbox does a great interview...I'm tellin' ya. I'd be a bit big-headed too perhaps if I got to chat with my metal god every so often for hours at a time.