Bleak live

Bleak Eyes

Irrelevant
Jun 16, 2003
Maryland
Visit site
I'm sure this may have probably been discussed before, but how does Bleak sound live for those who have seen/watched it being preformed? How is the clean vocals in the middle; does Mikael pull them off well? I can almost see him just singing in a lower voice seeing as Steven Wilson did the backing part of the vocals which I think may have enhanced the beauty of the clean vocals.

I had some trepidition about how Bleak would turn out live as well. But after seeing it, I can say it was fantastic. They capture the layered guitar tone really well, and it becomes a wall of sound, just like the studio cut...and I could still hear all the intricacies. Mikael's voice was fine on the night, changing from soft and high to soft and low quite well. Really, really good actually. If I could be dissapointed with any of Opeths songs live, it would probably be Deliverance. Seemed a bit harder for Lopez to replicate the phenomonal drumming during the soft passages that you hear in the studio cut. And of course, the outtro is shortened to avoid repetition.

Well, speaking of Deliverance, are Mikaels clean vocals superb on their live take on that? Might as well talk about Godhead's Lament, too. You could probably tell me to listen to that live download, but I've tried and it always loses server connection. Ha ha, and what the hell, is A Fair Judgement played well like the album with the heavier guitar after the verses?

its all good, there best live is usually from morningwise and orchid because both albums didnt have the best quality production in recording so when they do it live the songs become todays quality.

Bleak live was great....but it is worth noting, I think, that it was the one tune they played all night that really sounded quite different than it does on the record. Most specifically, they play it a lot faster......

I was impressed with "Bleak" at the Melbourne show, I had wondered prior to this if they would even perform it live. Mikael's vocals were great, but yes, it was played at a faster tempo than on BWP.

I've got a vid. I downloaded from kazaa of Opeth playing Demon of the Fall supporting Nevermore.....and.....:OMG: Mikael's clean vocals are awful on it. He's totally out of key. That particular song makes him sound tone deaf. It's kinda weird actually, because i've got the video of The Drapery Falls from th same night and his clean vocals sound fine.

some vocal harmonies are much more difficult to nail than others especially if the instruments dont support the line in any way. mikaels got a great sounding voice but he seems to really need to concentrate to deliver.

SculptedCold said:
I've got a vid. I downloaded from kazaa of Opeth playing Demon of the Fall supporting Nevermore.....and.....:OMG: Mikael's clean vocals are awful on it. He's totally out of key. That particular song makes him sound tone deaf. It's kinda weird actually, because i've got the video of The Drapery Falls from th same night and his clean vocals sound fine.
Amen to that, brother !

I saw them play it live at the San Diego show, and being my favorite song from them, it was the highlight of the show for me. I do agree with a previous comment that it was played a bit fast, but still sounded great!

At the Seattle show in May, I saw Opeth play Bleak, Deliverance, A Fair Judgement, and Demon of the Fall - all were done well and made for a kick ass concert. It was the first time I ever saw them live, but Mikael's vocals didn't sound any different than that of what I've heard on recordings. Everything about Opeth is just awesome live!

Ive seen this track once live, it's okay. I love the recorded version, live it seems very thin and weak, as there's so many layers they cannot play with just 2 guitars.