• bm

Votes: 39 35.8%
  • dm

Votes: 70 64.2%

• Total voters
dorian gray said:
opeth are progressive rock.

:lol:

In all serious its childish to dismiss either style out of hand, yes there's a lot of repitition but that happens in any musical sub-genre (even Prog rock), there are also many bands pushing the boundaries in terms of creativity and tallent.

Silent song: er... lots of DM bands oppose organised religion (eg. Napalm Death, Zyklon, Decapitated, Anata etc etc.), how am I wrong?

There are many good things about both black and death metal. Bands like 1349, Burzum, Bloodthorn, Marduk, etc... are amazing black metal bands...while Opeth, Kataklysm, Cryptopsy, Cannibal Corpse, etc...are amazing death metal bands....Its impossible to choose simply by genre. Especially since genres have become so vague.

Baletempest said:
Silent song: er... lots of DM bands oppose organised religion (eg. Napalm Death, Zyklon, Decapitated, Anata etc etc.), how am I wrong?
coming from this:
Ifurin said:
black metal because it opposes the judeo-christian herd and their disgusting ideologies
Silent Song said:
yeah thats it, lets oppose one herd by joining another woohoo!
Baletempest said:
Ifurin: both oppose judeochristianity

i would agree that many oppose christianity. however, many is not equal to all. there are a good number of DM bands that are pro-christian, so that would make it untrue. i don't think the basis for DM is being against christianity, i think the foundation for DM is to be in extreme or intensity of expression.

Well... I don't want to sound rude because I know plenty of people who dislike Cannibal Corpse, but I'm particular pissed off today and it's not with you.
My humble opinion? You need a hug.

shark22 said:
Yes they are quite stupid in my opinion. But that's just me.

Luz said:
Well... I don't want to sound rude because I know plenty of people who dislike Cannibal Corpse, but I'm particular pissed off today and it's not with you.
My humble opinion? You need a hug.
To brighten your day see what I said in another thread, the one about MAYH being bad.

Quite honestly, neither really. Black Metal is quite a generic genre, having only to sing about how much it sucks to be an eskimo or whatever, never seeing much light etc... and what a terrific fella' satan is. Then death metal talking about how awesome it is to rape women with their brain leaking out of their head and her severed nipples glued to her eyes... it's all the same. On top of that, the element of suprise is gone.

It's all about good ol' prog.

I'm not a huge fan of either, but if I had to choose I'd go with BM. Like others have already stated, BM seems to be able to get me more on an emotional level and can make me think, while DM seems to focus more on being brutal and technical. I prefer doom metal over them both :p

PS: I wonder how many people voted for DM on the basis of thinking that Opeth is your typical DM band?

It's all about good ol' prog.
:headbang:

dm is just superior. maybe the new opeth album will change my mind

Some time ago, I would have said Death Metal, but that's only because back then I thought the only thing that was worth listening to was Opeth.

Personally, I find that Opeth is the only band in the DM region that is really evolving (although this has slowed down a little with Deliverance, I guess we will see what happens on the next LP).

All the bands I have got into in recent times are either Black/Viking Metal (Bathory, Immortal, Satyricon, Blut Aus Bord, [older] Borknagar), or "Post" Black Metal / Post-Black Folk Metal (Agalloch, Sculptured, Vintersorg, Otyg, [newer] Borknagar, etc).

In my opinion, these kinds of bands are the bands who are pushing the creative boundaries of Metal right now. They are incorporating symphonic (and to a limit operatic) influences into their music, as well as acoustic elements (which we know Opeth are doing anyway though), but more namely, they are going into scientific directions and also into directions of nature which are not akin to older types of BM bands.

The only Death Metal styled band I can see apart from Opeth which is pushing creativity is Farmarkon, who, while technically stronger than Opeth, don't have the overall power that Opeth have.

Just my 2 cents, flame away.