Vocals meaning in metal (especially in death and black metal).

Instruments are definitely the most important factor. If a band has music that's good, I can get used to the vocals no matter how much I don't like them.

I have a friend who judges almost entirely on the vocals. It really annoys me.

dEaThToFaLsEmEtAl34 said:
Then why the hell are you a metal fan? Metal is based mostly on the music with the vocals used to back up the music.

Well I like bands with good vocals (ex. Soilwork) but If the vocals aren't great the actual music can make up for it or enhance (hint: atmosphere) such like a band Xasthur.

Music is more important than vocals. Vocals are import don't get me wrong. I think vocals become more important in music when a band has a pop like song structures. If you are repeating 2,3 basic music parts the better a vocalist has to be to distract from that because a listeners attention has to be held. A great vocalists makes simple parts in a song have a stronger impact, parts that might not sound good enough on their own but need push. Imagine for example if majority of main stream music did not have vocals but the same music and structures they have.

Majority of vocalists have the natural talent to sing or born with it. Someone can't just pick up an instrument being very good at it unless they have some form of autistism or something. You know how some people can't tie their shoes but are naturally a virtuoso behind a piano. Someone can't just not be able to sing and get singing lessons becoming a great singer. A good singer could improve by getting lessons but they have to be born with the talent. Both are an instrument as in sound but I think singing more of the times is a natural gift genetic wise. More people could learn how to play an instrument than sing or learn how to sing. Singing does not take more talent because to the people that can sing well it's effortless because one day they decided to sing as a child and they or someone noticed that person could do it. Playing a musical instrument eventually becomes effortless in the same form but you start out horrible. Both have sound and create but imo are very different. Unless a singer alone can be more effective than instrumentation musically instruments are more important.

:O I agree with The Greys for once, on a subject not relating to Wicked Innocence.</queinapocalypse>

The Greys said:
Someone can't just not be able to sing and get singing lessons becoming a great singer. A good singer could improve by getting lessons but they have to be born with the talent.

Probably not true. If it is embedded in the culture and taught from a young age to all individuals, FAR more people develop the ability to sing at least reasonably well, and far more people have the potential to become great singers. Here is an explanation:

Wikipedia: Folk music - loss of musical ability in the community said:
In nability to sing is apparently unusual in so called traditional societies, such as the Urarina of the Peruvian Amazon. Among the Urarina, one notes that the customary practice of singing folk songs, shamanic chants and myths begins in early childhood (See Bartholomew Dean's forthcoming, Ambivalent Exchanges: Urarina Society, Cosmos and History in Peruvian Amazonia. University Press of Florida, 2007, which represents the first book-length ethnographic of account of Urarina society, culture and shamanic resistance).

This in turn democratizes musical expression, and as such everyone gets the practice needed to be able to sing at least reasonably well. In the absence of traditional or folk music, many indigenous individuals do not sing (see Bartholomew Dean 2004 &#8220;digital vibes & radio waves in indigenous Peru&#8221; in Indigenous Intellectual Property Rights: Legal Obstacles and Innovative Solutions. (ed.) M. Riley, 27-53 New York: Altamira Press[1].
In some instances, it is possible that non-singers feel intimidated by their widespread exposure to recordings and broadcasting of singing by skilled experts. Another possibility is that they simply cannot sing, because they did not learn to sing when they were small children, the time that learning of cultral orality takes place most effectively.
As recently as the 1960s audiences at U.S. sporting events collectively sang the American national anthem before a game; the anthem is now typically performed by a recording or a soloist.

Also, if you notice in some bands, mostly bands that have been around for a while, let's take Blind Guardian for example, in their early material the vocals are decent, but as time goes on they get better and better. So obviously practice does have an affect on vocal ability.

Impudent said:
Also, if you notice in some bands, mostly bands that have been around for a while, let's take Blind Guardian for example, in their early material the vocals are decent, but as time goes on they get better and better. So obviously practice does have an affect on vocal ability.

Exactly. Hansi stopped playing bass in '95 so he could focus on his singing, and it sure worked. He has much more vocal prowess and range in ANATO than he did in the early recordings.

Ex-cally-boo said:
:O I agree with The Greys for once, on a subject not relating to Wicked Innocence.</queinapocalypse>

I think we could agree omnipotence has the lowest vocals ever recorded.

Yeah, I don't know much that is lower than the vocals on it. Wormed maybe ... I don't know even then.

Ex-cally-boo said:
Yeah, I don't know much that is lower than the vocals on it. Wormed maybe ... I don't know even then.

I think the vocals on Infester's "To the Depths...In Degradation" give WI's vocals on Omnipotence some competition, as in terms of lowness. Both are definitely fucking awesome albums.