Vocals meaning in metal (especially in death and black metal).

Omnipotence is a lot more interesting to me musically and sounds better. I hate the production on worship. I rarley listen to either anymore so who cares really.

Authentic Metalhead said:
Exactly. Hansi stopped playing bass in '95 so he could focus on his singing, and it sure worked. He has much more vocal prowess and range in ANATO than he did in the early recordings.

its so hard to actually sing and play guitar/bass

Ex-cally-boo said:
Vocalists who do not play an instrument piss me off due to their arrogance.

I play and Sing, but I'm no good at the Bass I play so it doesn't really count, but I know I can sing/scream/growl/whatever with an art of expresion that surpases some people who play the guitar.

And yes it's hard to play bass and sing at the same time. Guitar is harder for me though.

Krigloch cuts yo' grass said:
its so hard to actually sing and play guitar/bass

It sure is. I didn't think it would be all that hard since I wasn't playing anything that difficult, but I get all confused and lose my place. It's annoying as hell. I respect all singers that can sing well and do well on their instrument. Here's to you, Devin Townsend! :worship:

It sure is. I didn't think it would be all that hard since I wasn't playing anything that difficult, but I get all confused and lose my place. It's annoying as hell. I respect all singers that can sing well and do well on their instrument. Here's to you, Devin Townsend! :worship:
:headbang: when he does it live with syl i do notice he struggles a bit when switching over to cleans but his other vocals are fuckin awesome. his vocals on the last two syl albums are among the best ive heard.

well, music is music to me. I really don't need vocals, and I would actually prefer good metal without vocals to good metal with bad vocals. It doesn't ruin it for me. THe metal needs to be structured a little differently to make it work w/o vocals, since vocals give the metal a focal point, sort of. It is hard for me to explain what I'm thinking, sorry. I guess the songs have to be more clear on the buildups, ect. I'm thinking of pelican, for example, or the song orion by metallica, triad by tool, some seventies metal like king crimson (red, LTIA, ect), and I guess thats all I can think of. I guess its not really death metal, but you get the point, I think.

Well, there are plenty of genuinely great bands, but SYL is one of the few in the mainstream that haven't lost their touch.
yup but dev gets shit on around here. his records have better atmosphere, better production, better vocals, more intensity but no one seems to get it. when you listen to some of his songs like hope no one expects the crazy musical freakout at the end and lots of his songs are like that but i doubt that many around here except for the well informed give his music a proper listen.

It sort of appears that way. You can tell just by listening that the band is really into their music and are putting some effort into it, not just doing it for the acceptance. He also has a good singing voice in addition to being having exceptional growls. Overall, they're just great. But some people refuse to listen to them merely because of their status as "MAINSTREAM!!! omg thats fukin nuts!!!1!!11" Just because some bands lose their purpose on major labels doesn't mean they ALL do.

It sort of appears that way. You can tell just by listening that the band is really into their music and are putting some effort into it, not just doing it for the acceptance. He also has a good singing voice in addition to being having exceptional growls. Overall, they're just great. But some people refuse to listen to them merely because of their status as "MAINSTREAM!!! omg thats fukin nuts!!!1!!11" Just because some bands lose their purpose on major labels doesn't mean they ALL do.

major labels look for bands that they think can go somewhere and that they can market so should a band be shit on for being recognized as talented and something that others may like as well? pop music was the term given to music that was popular with the listening public before it was used to characterize a specific kind of sound so cant a metal band be called mainstream without being treated like good charlotte or some shit like that by all the metal fans whose favorite bands will forever remain in the underground. every band and their fans would like their music to be appreciated by a large audience and they would love to play those big shows. a good label can help make that happen. as far as losing purpose goes i dont know. some bands just dont like to play the stuff for 10 years running i think. i dont know about any of you but i doubt that many of you in your 20s were banging heads to death metal 10 yrs ago but i am glad that more of this stuff is being discovered at a younger age by people these days. i had to make my musical transition into all those so called sellout bands who lost their way before i was able to discover any of the bands who do have credibility around here.