Why I can't get into Black Metal

Zack

charting my way to top :)
Feb 9, 2005
Good music, good lyrics, good vocals, shit recording. Is there any particular reason that most BM bands have shit recording? I mean, Thousand Swords is a great CD, but I just can't get into it because the recording fucking hurts my ears. Is this something I just have to learn to live with?
DO NOT FLAME ME I LIKE BM

Diabolical Masquerade
Sigh
Dornenreich
...and Oceans
Covenant
Deathspell Omega
Limbonic Art
Sirius
Woods of Ypres
Sorcier Des Glaces
Sad Legend

i'm sorry but my indo-european forebearers had to make do with sticks and stones when composing blackest hyms of unholy devotion to deyus pitr, father of the dawn. should we as torch bearers of the august and immortal IE flame give up those majestic musical traditions!?

Arcturus
Blut Aus Nord
Deathspell Omega
Dødheimsgard
Dornenreich
late Emperor
Klabautamann
Secrets Of The Moon
Solefald
Thorns
Wood Of Ypres

but the crappy production in BM is an acquired taste (just as the evil vocals ;) )... it's just the über crappy, grim kvlt prods that I still can't digest... :rolleyes:

J. said:
people who whine about production just need to shut up. quit bitching.
yes. i'm pretty sure this is the most tired topic on the internet

if you don't get it you don't get it, if you do then GOOD FOR YOU GOOD FOR YOU

I've said it again and again but it's not "CRAPPY". Stop fucking saying that. It's "raw". It's not like they went in the studio and said "shit guyz lets make the fucking crappiest sounding album ever digitally1!1". Crappy = subjective/opinion. Raw = style of stripped down, bare bones production utilized by black metal bands to increase a feeling of coldness, bleakness, hate, etc. (generally whatever they're trying to get across).

Menhir said:
Graveland's "Viking-esque" work is great.
That's all Graveland is is "Viking-esque". Graveland are boring.

Also, a lot of bands probably want the shit recordings so that they can call themselves "tr00" or "kvlt". I like it all, but listen to Summon, they're Black Metal and they don't have bad recordings.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
I've said it again and again but it's not "CRAPPY". Stop fucking saying that. It's "raw". It's not like they went in the studio and said "shit guyz lets make the fucking crappiest sounding album ever digitally1!1". Crappy = subjective/opinion. Raw = style of stripped down, bare bones production utilized by black metal bands to increase a feeling of coldness, bleakness, hate, etc. (generally whatever they're trying to get across).
Agreed.

Zack said:
O. I don't get it then. sorry.

don't be... imo there's nothing to "get", it's all personal perceptions thus you have no reason to apologize...

some BM have quite hi-fi prod and it works better for me than the crappy production... even the guy from Taake said he wasn't too happy with the "raw" production that was a result of the lack of money to record the album (his first) and not an artistic decision... I think many bands do shitty recordings because they cannot do better with the money allowed for the recording and it makes sense since most BM is über underground and sells from 100 to 1.000 copies... :ill:

on my list, try Blut Aus Nord & DsO's latest eps, Klabautamann's debut or Wood of Ypres... I think you'll enjoy it (and it's well produced !) :headbang:

Lyle said:
i'm sorry but my indo-european forebearers had to make do with sticks and stones when composing blackest hyms of unholy devotion to deyus pitr, father of the dawn. should we as torch bearers of the august and immortal IE flame give up those majestic musical traditions!?

hahhahah

Black metal bands do rough production for:

1) show they're against mainstream bands so they use poor production on purpose
2) reflect the mood of the music.
3) to make it sound raw instead of something too polished.