Why do people enjoy Black and Death Metal? (Curious)

GarrettTGK

Wears glasses for a living
Apr 2, 2018
Australia
Recently I've gotten into Metal, mostly Sleep, and Electric Wizard (stoner or stoner-doom or something), and of course while looking at all of the different sub-genres, I found Black Metal and Death Metal. I know they are different but they're pretty similar so I'm grouping them for now. My question is what makes it enjoyable? What makes the vocals good? How does the raw recording of black metal help? Just tell me why you like it, and I might understand and hopefully enjoy my itself. (Not trying to be rude or anything, by the way, just curious)

It's not easy to actually explain that because different people are going to gravitate towards different things, even while enjoying the same bands.

The vocals in black and death metal are almost a non-factor for me. Most of the time, the vocals might as well be another instrument because they aren't typically what guides the songs. There are exceptions to that statement, and horrendously goofy vocals such as those of bands like Silencer completely break the immersion for me because they're impossible to take seriously in the slightest.

As someone who enjoys a lot of unusual, atonal or downright weird music, I'm not generally surprised by either genre because they're not as far out there as some of what I already liked before I even knew that they existed. The best compositions in black metal or death metal have traits in common with other music that I like, and sometimes you see some truly interesting examples of outsider music within both. There is also a subsect of riff-heavy bands for purists such as this forum's beloved HBB.

Anyway, I got through this whole post and almost forgot to mention that I don't derive any enjoyment from stoner doom metal. That just goes to show that there are a lot of people who like completely different things.

It's not easy to actually explain that because different people are going to gravitate towards different things, even while enjoying the same bands.

The vocals in black and death metal are almost a non-factor for me. Most of the time, the vocals might as well be another instrument because they aren't typically what guides the songs. There are exceptions to that statement, and horrendously goofy vocals such as those of bands like Silencer completely break the immersion for me because they're impossible to take seriously in the slightest.

As someone who enjoys a lot of unusual, atonal or downright weird music, I'm not generally surprised by either genre because they're not as far out there as some of what I already liked before I even knew that they existed. The best compositions in black metal or death metal have traits in common with other music that I like, and sometimes you see some truly interesting examples of outsider music within both. There is also a subsect of riff-heavy bands for purists such as this forum's beloved HBB.

Anyway, I got through this whole post and almost forgot to mention that I don't derive any enjoyment from stoner doom metal. That just goes to show that there are a lot of people who like completely different things.
I don't exactly listen to pop, so it's not as jarring to me as most people would find it. A lot of the bands seem to treat vocals as an instrument, except they still keep it louder than the others, making it harder to not notice. Also I think why I enjoy bands like sleep and Electric wizard is because they remind me of blues songs for whatever reason, and I guess I must enjoy the combination of metal and the "blues" vibe. I have heard other doom bands and they seem pretty different to sleep and electric wizard though.

For me, it was gradual. I started off with Metallica, Slayer, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, etc. Typical entry level bands. I thought Cannibal Corpse was the worst shit I'd ever heard after hearing a track from Tomb of the Mutilated.

Then I started hearing about the history of black metal and I was fascinated by it and had a guilty pleasure for songs like "Pure Fucking Armaggedon" off of Mayhem's Deathcrush. Definitely a mixture of morbid curiosity and genuine love for heavily distorted guitar riffs.

That's all I've got for now.

No explanation will make you like something or not...if you like how something sounds keep listening and seek more...if you don’t like how something sounds, listen to something else and don’t make excuses for what you like, or don’t...it’s ok to be guilty of ‘faggotism’ -I was listening to Loverboy last night...?

Reactions: RadicalThrasher
Recently I've gotten into Metal, mostly Sleep, and Electric Wizard (stoner or stoner-doom or something), and of course while looking at all of the different sub-genres, I found Black Metal and Death Metal. I know they are different but they're pretty similar so I'm grouping them for now. My question is what makes it enjoyable? What makes the vocals good? How does the raw recording of black metal help? Just tell me why you like it, and I might understand and hopefully enjoy my itself. (Not trying to be rude or anything, by the way, just curious)

While death metal is more about the kick-ass riffage, black metal is more about the atmosphere I would say. While the lo-fi production can add a lot to the atmosphere, unfortunately it's easier to produce which has caused a spawn of absurd amounts of worthless bands that just record two changing chords in the bedroom. It's a common opinion on black metal that there is the highest percentage of shitty bands in the genre.

Reactions: Dak
That claim is never backed up the evidence and seems to be rather arbitrary. Black metal does have probably the lowest barrier to entry of any metal genre so I can see how it might be true. However, there are 31000 black metal bands on the Metal-Archives database as opposed to 40000 death metal bands for example. I personally haven’t heard that many of these bedroom black metal bands people complain about nor do I hear them discussed very much.

Thinking about it, I’d probably rather listen to some average black metal than average death metal.

A lot of the bands seem to treat vocals as an instrument, except they still keep it louder than the others, making it harder to not notice
The vocals in black and death metal are almost a non-factor for me. Most of the time, the vocals might as well be another instrument because they aren't typically what guides the songs
this^^ happens a lot in the music that gets onto the radio/MTV
where you get the back-beat of a super-fast-lyrics song and/or horribly auto-tuned song stuck in your head, you suddenly realize you've completely lost count of how many times you've heard the song, instantly followed by the realization that you have absolutely no idea what the freaking lyrics actually are
Nikki Minaj is really bad with this
everyone knows the chorus of "fancy" sung by Charlie XCX, but does anyone really know by heart any of the parts sung by Iggy Azalea??
there's actually a huge amount of people who really don't realize that the song is all about a sex-addict breaking up with a meth-addict
and people who don't really stop and think about the fact that "genie in a bottle" is all about a girl insisting on receiving cunnilingus

i think wanting to like it is half the battle really. if you keep an open mind and genuinely try to understand the appeal of various classic bands you'll more than likely get into it.

This is something I’ve thought a lot about this past few years and I struggle to articulate exactly what it is that appeals to me about these genres of music.

I’ve always had a fascination with dark and macabre things since an early age I think so it was only natural I eventually discovered music of this nature.

I have extreme emotional attachment to many of my favourite black and death metal records. They resonate with me on a level that (most) other music doesn’t. There’s also a lot of nostalgic feelings attached to them - I’m often transported back to the specific time period or place where I discovered them and the memories that go with it.

Thinking about it there are 3 types of sounds I’m looking for with these genres:

There’s the mystical, emotionally charged, often more melodic stuff like The Chasm, Sacramentum, Dawn, At the Gates, Darkthrone, Burzum, Summoning, lots of Eastern European black metal, etc.

Then there’s the primal, filthy shit with an aesthetic I find appealing. Things like early Asphyx, early Bathory, Sarcofago, early Sepultura, Goatlord, Darkthrone (A Blaze in the Northern Sky), Demoncy, etc. The production in particular is often a big part of why I like this stuff. I can only describe it as being drenched in filth and rot.

Finally there’s the occult stuff. Things like Mortuary Drape, Root, Mystifier, Necromantia, Nastrond, Morbid Angel, etc.

I love extreme vocals when done well. While they’re obviously limited in range, for me they can convey a huge range of emotions. There’s pained and anguished, demented and revolting, disgust and hatred, haunting, demonic, etc. People who write them off as talentless are selling these vocalists short.

My starting points were Darkthrone’s - Transylvanian Hunger, Emperor’s - In the Nightside Eclipse and Morbid Angel’s Altars or Madness. I knew there was no going back after experiencing these.

I often wish I could be a teenager again and be in a place where I’m only just discovering this sort of music again. It was a time of awe and wonder and I doubt I’ll ever experience anything like it again. Of course, I’m still really excited when I discover an new album/band that really hits me. But I’m so accustomed to the general sound and aesthetic of extreme metal it just isn’t the same. I guess I envy the position you’re in - just beggining your exploration.

For me, it was gradual. I started off with Metallica, Slayer, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, etc. Typical entry level bands. I thought Cannibal Corpse was the worst shit I'd ever heard after hearing a track from Tomb of the Mutilated
I honestly find Iron Maiden a bit soft for my tastes and I've heard enough Hard Rock in my lifetime, Thrash is a bit plain for my tastes.
Phylactery said:
I’ve always had a fascination with dark and macabre things since an early age
I like Lovecraft stuff, and the macabre stuff, but I've always pictured them differently then most of the bands do. I don't see Satan/the devil as anything that scary or brutal, just more otherworldly. Never thought of hell being torture, just limbo. Suppose that's why the themes don't draw me in as much as they may with you.

Yeah, it's pretty much all about the texture/atmosphere/riffs. Don't really care to know what the songs are even about TBH so not understanding the vocals doesn't much matter. While more common with atmospheric black metal, a lot of BM and DM in general are good about putting you into an almost trance-like state moreso than other genres of music, or even metal in general.

Give these a listen:

The Chasm and Darkthrone are relatively interesting the other ones are alright but not a fan of that last one's vocals, It starts to hurt my throat just listening to it. Gave me a similar feeling when I listened to Cannibal Corpse's The Wretched Spawn, and I feel a bit queasy writing this actually.
Yeah, it's pretty much all about the texture/atmosphere/riffs. Don't really care to know what the songs are even about TBH so not understanding the vocals doesn't much matter. While more common with atmospheric black metal, a lot of BM and DM in general are good about putting you into an almost trance-like state moreso than other genres of music, or even metal in general.
I agree with that, but only with black metal. From the little that I've listened to of both, Death seems more about headbanging then atmosphere.

If you like that The Chasm song, then check out the entire album. One of my top albums of all time. Actually, listen to everything they've done because they're pretty much the best band ever.
As for Darkthrone, that song is from Transilvanian Hunger and basically all the songs sound like that, just streams of melody that wash over you and transport you elsewhere.

I didn't think you'd like Demilich's vocals, but they fit the music which is very alien and otherworldly.

Yeah I imagine the band in my head as well! We don't really enjoy listening to black and death metal we just like to imagine the bandlooking cool and shit! Fuck off you shit licking cunt and stop being a fucking bitch.