Boknagar - Origin

I love The Archaic Course and Quintessence... dont have any special feelings for the rest of their discography though. affinity what's up with the wannabe cranky-day NFU responds?

I havent, no. I dont really like downloading music anyway, and i certantly wasnt going to buy it when i was introduced to quintessence and empiricism(assuming the rest of the catalogue was fairly similar) I dont have enough money to go out and spend it on something that is a bit more than just a 'gamble' since i disliked those two albums. Wanted to spend it on other artists, rather than take the chance.

Excellent album. I'll expand on this comment in a sec... I've been thrashing it since yesterday.

EDIT:

Sidenote: I'm a big fan of Vintersorg, his vocals are beautiful, but in recent years, I have felt his work has been getting experimental in ways which aren't really productive, most noticably in his vocal delivery and usage of keyboards (simplistic structures and terrible chosen effects).
His vocal work is best when he delivers sustained lines, not breaking them with falsetto (and I'm sorry, but his falsetto isn't one which sounds good because of his kind of mid-range natural voice). I wish he would concentrate more on his lower and middle registers, because his are fantastic and he has more power at this range too.

... don't worry though - he most certainly delivers on Origin!

Also of note is Asgeir's outstanding contribution to drums on this album: he's been known for some time as one of Metal's better drummers, but this time we see him playing with more feeling, a slower and more creative pace. The results are fantastic.

Borknagar's music definitely has a unique style (I wish I knew the "technical" musical expressions to use). Brun has a writing style which is reminiscent of early Ulver in some respects and he does what he does well. He certainly has a unique stamp that is recognisable.

The usage of Western Art string instruments on Origin is very well done: over the years, I've noticed that when a band tends to use them, a string section constantly seems to be there for more aesthetic reasons, as opposed to actually providing proactive participation or another voice to the music.

Origin does not fall prey to this. The cellos and violins actually drive the melodies on this album, which I feel for metal is actually quite a remarkable achievement. There are so many moments where I could hear that songs could be played entirely on a string ensemble and I think this factor is very deserving of a nod to Brun in respect.

Take for example "Human Nature", track 7 on the album: the chorus utilises an old technique (by Western Art Music standards but new for metal given the instruments used) of using short quick bowing strokes in conjunction with acoustic guitars to imitate heavy riffing common in metal. I think this is a very imaginative idea for an acoustic metal album and definitely applaudable - it creates a dramatic moment in the song, and most importantly provides us with what I truly feel is the first ever heavy entirely acoustic metal song.

For once on an acoustic metal album, the traditional "rock" instruments take a back seat, and the older instruments have an opportunity to drive the momentum of compositions on the album, and also provide a second or third voice for Borknagar to work with.

The album is actually quite complex, but I don't think the "average" metal listener is going to pick this up unless they have adequate experience with Baroque or classical music. Origin is an album of intelligence.

The acoustic version of Oceans Rise is a beautiful rendition of a Borknagar classic. They have not only produced an acoustic "version", but it seems the song has been completely re-written to take advantage of different usage of instruments while keeping the feel of the original composition. Very well done.

I've been thrashing this album. The more I listen to it, the more I hear - it is intricately layered. I think the approach to this album taken by the band is a very intelligent one, you can really hear that a LOT effort and thought has gone into this work.

I will definitely add this album to my collection when it is released. Fantastic work and a fresh breath of air.

Almost everyone associated with Borknagar is a brilliant musician (especially Asgeir and Tyr) so I'm really looking forward to this album.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of Vintersorg's clean vocals at all, and despite the musicianship I don't really listen to the newer stuff much.

Anyway, their self-titled album is still one of the finest black metal releases ever, IMO. Raw and melodic.

AshDLS said:
Almost everyone associated with Borknagar is a brilliant musician (especially Asgeir and Tyr) so I'm really looking forward to this album.

... their self-titled album is still one of the finest black metal releases ever, IMO. Raw and melodic.

:kickass:

NineFeetUnderground said:
self titled. garm makes vortex seem like an american idol contestant.

I'll agree with you on that one. Garm's performance on the first (and second) album is fantastic - sounds like he's got a chainsaw stuck in his throat!

I do like Vortex's work though with the band though. I like each Borknagar "period" for it's own characteristics.

affinityband said:
crap band

bok-nagar would be shit-nagar in turkish. lol

borknagar is a little better. their first album and quintessence are pretty good albums for the genre.