"Booing" at shows...yes or no???

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
An interesting point was bought up in another thread....Booing!!!!

Do you think it is right or wrong? Do you think it would make bands want to put on a better live show than they are doing? Do you think younger bands who rush out to play shows way before they are ready would think twice now? Do you think it would cause more fights and division at shows??

thoughts???

I will admit to booing Warrant when they opened for Crue. And the whole crowd was booing Killer Dwarfs when they opened for Maiden on the 7th Son tour.

I don't like it, mostly because it is rude to the people who might be there to enjoy that band.

True....that would be a big downfall for oddball line ups and stuff. Sadly now in these situations most people will just stand outside or at the bar. Pretty much a nicer way too show you don't care for the band. Just this past week a Deceased I spent more time at the bar than watching bands because it was mostly all generic death metal.

I do think if people booed bands it would make sure they were ready to be on stage. I think the issue is too many young acts rush to play shows and people just accept it and then bands think they are good and liked. Sadly then we get flooded with many lackluster bands.

Another band I saw not get a good reception was Icarus Witch opening for Dianno. Not a lot of boos but a silent crowd.

I dunno. I've never been booed before but I'm sure it's a pretty shitty experience. My policy is to leave the building if the band sucks and I urge others at shows to do the same if they're complaining about the band. We've had local shows where 100 people showed up and maybe 95 of them went outside during one particularly shitty band. When the band comes outside to hump their gear and they see a pile of people outside who didn't watch them, they know.

Last year I started telling people their their bands/sets sucked if they specifically asked me. That was interesting, on one hand it made people all angry and bitchy or maybe a little sef-conscious, but on the other hand I started getting invited to way more parties. Shit, I even had a few local bands guestlist me to their shows so that I'd come out and critique their sets because they liked my advice so much.

So I dunno. I'm ambivalent. I think that bad work should be pointed out. Having been a performer, I can't bring myself to boo people while they're up there.

Well, if it's a local show I arrive later to avoid the shitty and usually generic opening bands. Especially, if the band is comprised of 4 kids born in the early 90s. Or far worse, 4 guys in their mid 50s who just do it for fun. That's what garages are for. They can practice their craft on their own time. Not mine. If I'm travelling then it's the bar until the headliner appears.

Admittedly, I was quite surprised at how well the two bands who opened for Grim Reaper worked out. But that was an exception.

The oddball bands are the worst. Intromental bands have no business opening up for the likes of Accept or Saxon.

I think there's a huge difference between honest criticism and what often happens when a few people start being loud and obnoxious and then everyone starts doing it because of mob mentality.

Well, if it's a local show I arrive later to avoid the shitty and usually generic opening bands. Especially, if the band is comprised of 4 kids born in the early 90s. Or far worse, 4 guys in their mid 50s who just do it for fun. That's what garages are for. They can practice their craft on their own time. Not mine. If I'm travelling then it's the bar until the headliner appears.

Admittedly, I was quite surprised at how well the two bands who opened for Grim Reaper worked out. But that was an exception.

The oddball bands are the worst. Intromental bands have no business opening up for the likes of Accept or Saxon.

oh...you can say you hate Halycon Way here....we are not like other forums...free reign here my good man.

I dunno. I've never been booed before but I'm sure it's a pretty shitty experience. My policy is to leave the building if the band sucks and I urge others at shows to do the same if they're complaining about the band. We've had local shows where 100 people showed up and maybe 95 of them went outside during one particularly shitty band. When the band comes outside to hump their gear and they see a pile of people outside who didn't watch them, they know.

Last year I started telling people their their bands/sets sucked if they specifically asked me. That was interesting, on one hand it made people all angry and bitchy or maybe a little sef-conscious, but on the other hand I started getting invited to way more parties. Shit, I even had a few local bands guestlist me to their shows so that I'd come out and critique their sets because they liked my advice so much.

So I dunno. I'm ambivalent. I think that bad work should be pointed out. Having been a performer, I can't bring myself to boo people while they're up there.

You are very right. I think when bands see people in the bar / outside...it is a good sign. I think 99.9% of the people just do this. So many times I hear...oh I am going late so I don't have to see 4 lousy opening acts. I think this is why having just 3 bands on a show is key now. Unless it is a special show like Alehorn or a festival, there is little reason to have 4 bands or more. Just tires out the crowd and makes them less and less want to be there. Then running late makes it thin out for the headliner as well.

I have seen a ton of shows where the main room is empty and then you go outside and there are a bunch of people standing outside. Even in real bad weather. I stood in the rain outside during Bible of the Devil a few years back.

The one could say...young bands need the chance to play live. This is another factor..then we are stuck with the same openers. So it is a double edge sword but I guess it just boils down to the band. If they are going to come up half assed they deserve no crowd. Or like TTD said...a bunch of old guys reliving their youth is just as bad. I guess it boils down to who and what people at the show want to see. For example..having death metal acts open for Rhapsody of Fire at Mojoes...not a good thing. It also falls onto the promoters / bookers hands as well. The theory of booking 3 locals will bring in friends isn't always a winning way to go.

Personally, I can think of only 1 or 2 times where I booed a band. Usually I just hit the bar or show up late to avoid all of the crappy local openers. Harpos in Detroit is notorious for having anywhere from 2-8 horrible bands playing before the headliners. Doors would open at 5, headliner would usually go on around midnight. And no thought was given to the style. Death Metal opening for Warrant. NUmetal rap rockers opening for LA Guns and on and on.

:lol: are you suggesting that in some forums that free speech could be limited and opinion they may go against the collective might not be permitted.

HAHAHAHAH you know my rules here...there are none. Anyone can have an opinion here and not like certain bands and not get in any trouble. So fire away. Not all of us will like the same bands. It is what a forum is...a place to discuss and argue about things. Look how many of us had full all out fights on here and then hung out weeks later.

Booing is just rude, disrespectful and douchy. No matter who the band is. I have seen probably more terrible bands than good bands but booing them never crossed my mind.
That being said if it is a band that are total douches themselves or something like Nazi on stage then game on. But just for sucking or the fact you might not want to see them, that is just lame.
I also believe a lot the same people who boo bands are the same jackasses that will be all behind the band if the band makes it to a certain level.
Now if there were any bands I might like to hell at and maybe suggest they get off of the stage are those bands who grab every opening slot. They are like these pathetic rats going for anything and 9 out of 10 times those bands kinda do suck and no one wants to hear them anyway. This more so ends up being with locals of that respective area or region, there is always a couple. Often it is bands that don't even fit the bills they get themselves on.
Now I understand getting "yourself out there" but first have some fuckin dignity, and pace yourself too. So they are trying for all types of audiences or what ever; well death metal guy Warrant fans are most inlikely not going to be interested. I often wonder the logoic there cause all the band is doing is annoying people. But then again it is what I can only refer to as "band logic".:lol:

Think I'm getting of track.

Booing is just rude, disrespectful and douchy. No matter who the band is. I have seen probably more terrible bands than good bands but booing them never crossed my mind.
That being said if it is a band that are total douches themselves or something like Nazi on stage then game on. But just for sucking or the fact you might not want to see them, that is just lame.
I also believe a lot the same people who boo bands are the same jackasses that will be all behind the band if the band makes it to a certain level.
Now if there were any bands I might like to hell at and maybe suggest they get off of the stage are those bands who grab every opening slot. They are like these pathetic rats going for anything and 9 out of 10 times those bands kinda do suck and no one wants to hear them anyway. This more so ends up being with locals of that respective area or region, there is always a couple. Often it is bands that don't even fit the bills they get themselves on.
Now I understand getting "yourself out there" but first have some fuckin dignity, and pace yourself too. So they are trying for all types of audiences or what ever; well death metal guy Warrant fans are most inlikely not going to be interested. I often wonder the logoic there cause all the band is doing is annoying people. But then again it is what I can only refer to as "band logic".:lol:

Think I'm getting of track.

A Sound Of Thunder comes to mind.....and a few others.

HAHAHAHAH you know my rules here...there are none. Anyone can have an opinion here and not like certain bands and not get in any trouble. So fire away. Not all of us will like the same bands. It is what a forum is...a place to discuss and argue about things. Look how many of us had full all out fights on here and then hung out weeks later.

Interesting point; other places they take thing so damn personally. It is like being in the comicshop picking geeks, well say whatever but you are there too. But some gets mad and just can realize that.

Interesting point; other places they take thing so damn personally. It is like being in the comicshop picking geeks, well say whatever but you are there too. But some gets mad and just can realize that.

totally...I pride myself in leaving a "no rule" policy here. People can say what they want about any band or show.