Future Thoughts / Suggestions

Wizard_Junkie

New Metal Member
May 19, 2012
I didn't attend on Friday but I'll be there tonight and I had a couple of thoughts about what could make this more popular and get out to a farther reach of people. For starters, I'm an avid listener of power metal so you can imagine how ecstatic I would be for the opportunity to see Wizard live. My concern though is that the only other band out of the two days I actually listen to is Pharaoh and other than those two, I've only heard of Virgin Steele and Slauter Xstroyes. I feel that a more publicly received band would do wonders in attracting others.

Wizard, as amazing as they are and as happy as I am to see them headline, I don't feel they have the draw that they would deserve as I've had to introduce many people to them. You'd think being around since 1989 would suffice to causing everyone to know about the band, but I don't feel that is the case. I've been to a number of power metal shows and regular shows in general. If we are eliminating death or black metal from the mix, we would need a large draw power or folk (medium between power and death, plus goes along with the festival name) band. Power Metal bands I've seen draw well here are Sonata Arctica, Edguy, Iced Earth, Firewind, Kamelot, and Sabaton. If we can get a band this well known to the fest (I think it's possible as Edguy also hailing from Germany like Wizard seems doable) it would do wonders in getting a nice turnout. Also folk shows draw immensely, I have not seen a folk metal show have a lackluster turnout.

My other concern is location. Mojoes just doesn't draw most of the time. A lot of people in Chicago just don't want to make the trip down to Joliet and I think this is impeding a lot more of a turnout, maybe even cutting it in half. Seeing Firewind's headlining tour at Mojoes a while back, the turnout was rather disappointing for band of this caliber and I know if the show was in Chicago the turnout would have been a lot different. So, if the fest could take on Reggies or the Bottom Lounge (preferred), it could gross a lot more and bring out the crowds these bands deserve.

Any opinions on this?

While yes, a band with a larger draw would help, there is the problem of $$$$$ that makes it difficult. Plus, the bands you mention do tour the US fairly regularly, so I don't know if that would help. The thing that helps festivals is exclusives (or bands that don't tour very often). As for location, I agree a better venue would be better, but Mojoes is 100,000 times better than last year's (even if there were some sound issues last night). If I remember correctly though, this fest was initially going to be at Reggies and it got pulled from them, so I don't know if they'd want to try that again. A place in the city would help though I think.

Yeah if they can get the attendance I think Bottom Lounge would be good. They have great sound. Otherwise Reggies would be my choice.

I do agree that a "household name" power metal band would entice people out.

I know Bob said Gamma Ray would be too expensive but I've seen Stormwarrior do a festival with Kai Hansen Singing and they do the complete Walls of Jericho album. I think that could draw maybe...who knows...sometimes you never know what will draw the crowd.

I know Bob said Gamma Ray would be too expensive but I've seen Stormwarrior do a festival with Kai Hansen Singing and they do the complete Walls of Jericho album. I think that could draw maybe...who knows...sometimes you never know what will draw the crowd.

That would be killer! Still pissed I missed them at Progpower.

I think it would be awesome to try and get Luca Turilli's Rhapsody out here if their new album is received well and the Rhapsody of Fire concert attracts a bunch of people which it should. I'd definitely also want to see some of the other bands that haven't really been here but have tons of albums out like Nocturnal Rites, Manticora, Mystic Prophecy, Powerwolf, Primal Fear, Wuthering Heights or Freedom Call...how interesting would it be to get Van Canto out here for some acappella, sure would intrigue people, that's for sure haha

It's not a power metal festival though....it's a true/epic/heavy/whatever metal fest. Wizard is the odd one out!

This. Though, I think it's good to get some power metal in there, I just don't think it should be overrun by them. Too bad Manowar are too expensive (and dicks from what I hear) because the fest would probably sell out if they headlined it.

I think it would be awesome to try and get Luca Turilli's Rhapsody out here if their new album is received well and the Rhapsody of Fire concert attracts a bunch of people which it should. I'd definitely also want to see some of the other bands that haven't really been here but have tons of albums out like Nocturnal Rites, Manticora, Mystic Prophecy, Powerwolf, Primal Fear, Wuthering Heights or Freedom Call...how interesting would it be to get Van Canto out here for some acappella, sure would intrigue people, that's for sure haha

Don't count on Luca coming. Rhapsody wouldn't come over here, yet the moment Luca leaves they do. Something tells me he doesn't want to do the US. Of those bands, I would love to see Powerwolf the most, but I don't think they fit the fest. I think it has to be a power metal band that has a some traditional/true metal stylings in there.

Well the throwback heavy metal bands definitely bring out the older fans and I feel that the power metal bands bring out the younger generation of fans. A little variety goes a long way as it attracts a greater range of fans. I know you guys want to bring out exclusive bands, but there are bands from the US, regardless of if they tour frequently or not that bring a hell of a crowd like Symphony X.

Holy shit! I didn't know about that. I would LOVE to see that. It would draw anyone within 500 miles who's not a wimp or a poser!

yeah Stormwarrior do the Kai Hanen Walls of Jerhico all the time out in Europe at fest. They did it at the Headbangers Open Air, the Magic Circle fest and on a few other occasions as well. Knowing Mike and Chris I will tell you this.

They would love to have any of the bands mentioned above at the fest. Like it was stated....everything cost money. Bands of that size want crazy amounts. The sad reality is that the draw is never what you expect for your favorite bands.

Power metal is a dying genre at this point. Young kids are not into it. There are the hot bands that still play this genre but they dont draw like they used to. You should have seen the place empty out for Virgin Steele and Wizard. Both bands put on great performances but people didnt want power metal or just not fans.

Like it was also stated above...this fest is more about traditional metal. The issues with this as well is a lot of the classic bands want a lot of money because they think they are worth it but in reality only draw 50 people at most shows. Getting like 4 or 5 of those bands cost over 10,000 including airfare, hotels, food, and other expenses. I thought the same as most people until dealing with it first hand. There are so many other little cost that pop up. This is why presales are so important.

I think the key as of now is to keep it smaller. Get a place in the city and concentrate on newer upcoming bands. The three bands with the largest crowd was Voltax, Pharaoh, and Skull Fist. Those are 3 bands that you never really hear much about on most metal sites. Voltax blew ever band away and had the most people on the main floor watching them.

I think having it so far off from the city is hard as well. But getting a decent place in the city is tough. Lots of clubs work with thier own promoters like MP Shows and stuff so getting into the clubs they work with is tough. But having it in the city already will add an extra 100 people who would casually go or the ones who couldnt get to the burbs due to not having a ride or car.

still a great time all around....I will have pics up on my facebook page which you can link to on the bottom of my signature.

I wouldn't say power metal is a dying genre by any means. Sabaton, Iced Earth, Symphony X, Sonata Arctica, Edguy and Kamelot have all drawn enormous crowds. I went yesterday and the crowd was smaller than when I saw Firewind on tour. The bands on the fest just weren't ones that attract people to go out of their way to Joliet. Sure, Wizard is a great power metal band, but only the die hard power metal fans even know who they are. Exclusive bands are one thing but if it's exclusive bands that no one knows about at a place no one goes to, that's what happens as sad as it is. Regardless, I know I had a great time and I stayed the whole set of Wizard and had a great interview with them that will be posted up online within the coming days.

I knew Wizard would have trouble with crowd retention, so I planned to make sure I stayed till the very end. They get credit for acting like the place was full and putting on a fantastic set.

A good band plays to a crowd of fifty the same as if it was a crowd of 5000.
Wizard were a great live band.

Bottom line. Why would a niche fest want to be something it isn't?
So if they booked Edguy and brought in an extra 200 who cares? Those 200 won't come back the following year.
If you don't believe me then you never went to Chicago Powerfest.

And that's not a knock to Powerfest. Just that they learned that the majority of the crowd who came the year they had iced earth and testament could not care less that it was Powerfest and had no interest in supporting it the following year.

Ragnarokkr from here on out can probably secure 150 to 200 each year. Just have to know that up front and keep expenses within that budget.

Not to discount the other bands but for me the fest was all about Wizard. They delivered the goods with a very solid performance and seemed very humbled and thankful to be there! And I won the Wizard Odin vinyl raffle! Bob - thanks for getting me those lyric sheets! When they brought Odin and Thor out for the finale I got chills to see them up there ending the night on a high note. It was a great night and a performance/show I will never forget.

1) Some of you say the niche is a reunion show for bands or a once in a lifetime opportunity but yet Brocas Helm didn't seem to make a difference for the fest. They came back and who knows if they will ever play live again. This was their first ever Chicago show but yet i feel like they didn't really draw alot of people, i thought there wouldve been more for them.

2) Wizard was kickass and some of the nighest guys ive ever met. They were so gracious for being able to be here at the fest and like was mentioned above they played for a small crowd like it was a huge crowd. Was a great performance from start to finish and they tried getting EVERYONE involved in every song. They really wanted audience participation and it was great. And they were so patient in signing my 2 cds, 2 records, and my poster. Dano drew the guitar with his autograph every time.

3) Yes, it would be ideal to have a much larger name on the fest to draw more people out but like everyone said is the money. And after the disappointing turn out this year who knows what will happen next year, those international bands may not happen.

4) I had a great time vending and hearing all the bands. Personal favorite was Wizard, was so excited for them. But i also loved the energy of Skull Fist. Yeah yeah yeah, all you guys say Voltax was the best (and they were fantastic) but Id put Skull Fist over them. Im proud to be part of this fest and supported it this weekend and last fall and i hope 2013 can happen and kick more ass!

Honestly...you dont need the big name bands that again usually only draw 200 people anyway when they play the states. Like Jason said....you can keep it within budget and book around that. More people were excited to see bands like Voltax and Skull Fist than Wizard and Virgin Steele....basically newcomers got the best reaction and crowd size than the veterans.

I would like to see if they did next year with a band like Split Heaven who is very simular to Voltax play. Have them and another band who is young and hungry play. Then just have bands on the level as Borrowed Time play and just do the fest at a smaller club. If you get say 200 people there you will make you money back. No need to rush into something as big as this year again. Do a nice slow build up again.

I'm fine without the huge names. This isn't supposed to be ProgPower Jr. after all. The only Euro band that really makes sense is Wolf. Other than that, maybe a NWOBHM band. The US has plenty of new and cult traditional metal bands to choose from.

WOLF would be great for this fest, since they have never toured the US.
That's a different story.
I would seriously say WTF if a regularly touring bigger name PM band were even considered for this fest.

Every fest needs a mission statement, and most importantly, STICK TO IT!

A successful fest doesn't always have to be about the NUMBER of people it draws.
If you can stay within budget and get bands that fit your mission, then you have gold.

I have no idea how it did financially. Realistically, I am sure there was a loss, as I can only imagine that the fee for WIZARD's airfare alone may have set that tone already.

Most importantly is that everyone who was there thought it was great.
There will be even more positive feed back than last year's which will help bring in the fence sitters.

So bottom line, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't abandon the mission to bring in a band just for ticket sales.
Sure, you might turn SOME of them onto more underground bands, and they MIGHT come back in subsequent years.
I just still think in the long run, it will just be a show that a band they want to see is playing at.

CIRITH UNGOL REUNION FOR 2013!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!