worst concerts you have been too?

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
okay, lets see who has some of the worst experiences you have had at a METAL concert.

I guess this could fall into 2 catagories.....

1. shows that just had bad line ups for 1 band you wanted to see.

2. or shows where the band you wanted to see sucked.

for me right off the bat I can think of a few.....

the Powerfest year when Athiest, Saturnus, Thurizas, Novembers Doom, and Martyr played. I basically went to support the fest and check out Novembers Doom who I just got into that month because Jason raved about them. The turnout was super low for a show that if it happened now would have been packed. ND were good but not worth the long night of dull or bad bands. Still had fun at the show but it seemed every band played forever.

the next would be Iron Maiden / Dream Theater....holy smokes what a terrible show. First off Tinley is the worst place for shows. I hate Dream Theater and didnt like the Final Frontier. Talk about a bad time. It is always fun seeing Maiden but the sound sucked as well to add to the boring set list.

First Bob,

I loved the DT/IM show, then again it was my first time seeing both bands and both of which are on tops of my lists of my favorites. But yes boring setlist by Maiden, agreed.

My worst experiences:

Buckethead at the Park West. That One Guy opened and he was badass, very cool interesting definitely check that out! But after 30 mins of Buckethead playing over the backing tracks i got super bored. If he had the whole band there it wouldve been awesome.

Jimmie Vaughan at Aurora Blues on the Fox 2010. What an awful show, he didnt seem like he wanted to be there at all and didnt enjoy anything about playing for us. Left half way through cuz he was not enthused and he was boring.

Bad Experiences but Great Shows:
G3 2007 - Gilbert, Petrucci, Satriani were amazing. THis was my first concert too! BUt god the Congress sucks!

Primus 2010 - Finally got to see one of my favorite bands live! BUt geez Eagles Ballroom get some fucking air conditioning, its the middle of august and hot as fuck

I love Atheist, saw them several times now. One of the few extreme metal bands I care about at all.

I sat through Summer Slaughter once to see Into Eternity for the first time. They played for 20 minutes. I endured Veil of Maya, Whitechapel (Honestly the worst gig I've ever seen, worse than some shitty local gigs I'm been to) Dying Fetus, Beneath the Massacre and then after Into Eternity I watched the guys from Necrophagist play a lot of notes. Into Eternity were pretty good and some of the other bands performed well but musically it was terrible.

I saw Thor this summer and I was really pumped and had a pretty good time but to be honest it was a really bad joke. Their set was cut down nearly in half so the stage show was a confused disaster, the sound sucked and the band was drunk as fuck, the bassist and drummer kept going out of time. Good for a laugh, though.

I had to sit through He is Legend once. Holy shit, what a terrible band.
Morbid Angel was beyond awful at MDF this year. A shame since Altars is the greatest death metal record of all time.

I've gotten pretty good about shows that only have one band I'm interested in. Mastered the fine art of timing.

Bob will never forgive me for that year of Powerfest. LOL.
Not like I created the lineup. For the record, that year was worth it for SATURNUS alone, but that's my opinion.

The one that quickly comes to mind for me would be Queensryche.
Bob was with me too.
I was always a casual QR fan (LOVE LOVE LOVE Rage For Order, Mindcrime, and Empire).
They were touring with Symphony X so it was like, "Ok, now I will finally go see them live"

Holy smokes were they terrible.
We left halfway through the show. Couldn't even take it.

Bob will never forgive me for that year of Powerfest. LOL.
Not like I created the lineup. For the record, that year was worth it for SATURNUS alone, but that's my opinion.

The one that quickly comes to mind for me would be Queensryche.
Bob was with me too.
I was always a casual QR fan (LOVE LOVE LOVE Rage For Order, Mindcrime, and Empire).
They were touring with Symphony X so it was like, "Ok, now I will finally go see them live"

Holy smokes were they terrible.
We left halfway through the show. Couldn't even take it.

thats right....you even paid for me so you would have someone to go with. What a terrible show. What killed it for me was the long wait between bands.

Morbid Angel was beyond awful at MDF this year. A shame since Altars is the greatest death metal record of all time.

I saw Morbid Angel once opening for Motorhead.
I am not at all familiar with their material.
I was excited to see them, given how prolific they are in the death metal scene.
I was extremely disappointed. They were extremely boring.
I don't think this was when they had their original vocalist so maybe that had something to do with it.

All I remember the whole time was the singer begging people practically to get into it. It was really weird. I guess I expected the place to go bananas over them as I had always remembered how big of a deal it was in my high school when Morbid Angel came to town back in the day.

No one cared at all.

I did actually hear their LAST album and all I can say is I would rather listen to the new Marilyn Manson.

Heh, they actually have the original singer back, and he's the root of the problem!

Not gonna go into too much detail about the set. D. Vincent looks more Saints of Los Angeles than Altars of Madness these days and it reflects in his performance and approach to the old material.

I saw Morbid Angel twice when I was a teenager and didn't like them at all. I never thought that someday I'd be a raging Morbidomaniac - for the first two albums, that is.

When I saw Manowar, I wouldn't say it was a bad experience, but it was far from satisfying. At that time I hadn't heard anything before Fighting the World, and they started with a ton of old songs, so for a while I felt like I was seeing a band I didn't know. I think they played songs from all their albums in chronological order, except they skipped Fighting until the end, when they closed with "Black Wind, Fire and Steel." I'd really like to see them again now that I have all the old albums.

When I saw Nightwish in 2007, I was also wanting to see Paradise Lost. WHAT A FUCKING MISTAKE! Paradise Lost actually put me to sleep! I woke up when Anette started singing "Bye, Bye, Beautiful". Jezz, my wife said that I was snoring away during PL's set. :lol:

This most likely will be added to lately but....

I mentioned it in another thread, but a couple of years ago when I saw Danzig. Ugh. He just seemed out of fucking breath. To make it worse, that lineup also featured Moonspell, which I like quite a bit. They only played for like 20-25 minutes though, so I was disappointed. Believe it or not, Dimmu Borgir made that show. Then again, not like they had much competition.

Rage Against the Machine - Yeah, I know I'll get shit for going to this one, but it probably ranks as the worst concert "experience" I've been to. It was at Lollapalooza which was part of the problem. Basically, I only stayed through 5 - 7 songs, because almost every song or two, they would stop, tell the audience to chill out (which would take 5 minutes) only for them to play a song or two, repeat. I just couldn't take it anymore. I felt like Lolla should've either had more security or the band should've just played on.

Candlemass - Loved Candlemass. They weren't the bad part of the show, but those of you who were there, know why I'm complaining. All the fucking local openers that were added. I was ready for Daylight Days (who I also like) and Candlemass, but it felt like a fucking eternity for those two to even play due to all the other acts. Gotta love Pearl Room...

Paul Dianno - Do I really need to say anything? He was off, took forever to set up and Icarus Witch was taunting the fans in attendance.

Megadeth - This was during the last Gigantour. Motorhead and Volbeat were great. Megadeth sucked. I saw them previously when they were with Slayer and they put on a good show. This night was horrendous. For one, it seemed their equipment wasn't working right as they kept trying to fix it. When they played, they didn't bring it live. Worst of all, the setlist was terrible.

Candlemass - Loved Candlemass. They weren't the bad part of the show, but those of you who were there, know why I'm complaining. All the fucking local openers that were added. I was ready for Daylight Days (who I also like) and Candlemass, but it felt like a fucking eternity for those two to even play due to all the other acts. Gotta love Pearl Room...

And the fact that there were less than 100 people there.

And the fact that there were less than 100 people there.

it is funny....there are so many shows that seem to be a year or so ahead of its time that if it took place a year or so later it would have been a huge show. I can list tons where there was no one there but now would have had a big crowd in the city and the burbs...wouldnt have mattered.

Yeah, well, in my opinion, Candlemass needed a much stronger touring partner than Daylight Dies.
It was Messiah-less Candlemass to boot, which I am sure kept some folks away.
This was right around the time Kory Clark joined Trouble.
I had always thought that if Candlemass and Trouble did a co-headlining tour, it would have benefitted both bands greatly.

I'll second the Di'Anno experience, though in VA the Icarus Witch guys seemed cool. IW was done with their set and ready to do the Di'Anno set by 10, but Paul sat up in the top booth drinking until just after 11 while we all just stood there waiting. Then when he did play he sounded terrible (to the point where you had no idea what song he was singing, even the 3-4 Maiden songs we all came to hear) and kept threatening the sound guy.

As stereotypical as this is to say, Dragonforce had me dozing off. I started their set down on the floor and then went up to the balcony to sit and nearly fell asleep, it was so boring.
I was surprised to be disappointed at the At the Gates reunion tour as well. They were OK - I stayed awake for it all, anyway, but they didn't inspire much more enthusiasm in me than that.

The Nightwish/Paradise Lost situation is exactly the opposite for me, I loved Paradise Lost and they actually exceeded my expectations, whereas the Nightwish set on that tour is what closed my book on their shows.

As stereotypical as this is to say, Dragonforce had me dozing off. I started their set down on the floor and then went up to the balcony to sit and nearly fell asleep, it was so boring.
I was surprised to be disappointed at the At the Gates reunion tour as well. They were OK - I stayed awake for it all, anyway, but they didn't inspire much more enthusiasm in me than that.

The Nightwish/Paradise Lost situation is exactly the opposite for me, I loved Paradise Lost and they actually exceeded my expectations, whereas the Nightwish set on that tour is what closed my book on their shows.

Paradise Lost was great when I saw them open for Opeth.

Agreed. I was looking forward to the ATG show, but I was very unimpressed, to the point where I was fairly bored. On the other hand though, when I saw Carcass (both bands I believe reunited around the same time) they exceeded my expectations.

I felt the same with that Nightwish tour. It made me a fan of PL, but it made it so I never wanted to see Nightwish (as long as they have Annette) ever again.