Books

speed said:
Thats a much better list than I was forced to read. I too was stuck with Pride and Prejudice. 19th century English novels (especially those written by anyone other than Dickens) are the pinnacle of boredom.

yeah, I was rather surprised that I enjoyed pretty much all of the reading this past year. I didn't read The Loved One, although I would've enjoyed it (it was the end of the year...senioritis...what can I say?)

Oh, we also did a ton of research/debating on Camus' "The Myth of Sisyphus" and Plato's "The Allegory of the Cave" during our existentialism unit

Silent Song said:
current: George R R Martin - A Clash of Kings.

fiction. fantasy, perhaps. but expertly written imo.

This is actually one of the few fantasy series I still actually read. I just reread it to the last book he wrote a month ago and it still stands up. Your first time reading it?

RookParliament said:
This is actually one of the few fantasy series I still actually read. I just reread it to the last book he wrote a month ago and it still stands up. Your first time reading it?
indeed, and i was recommended it by a friend who praised it so highly, that i thought my expectations would vastly exceed its quality. i was wrong... amazing story.

Just finished Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. Damn the first seven parts were great, but the final part was almost unbearable. Why did such an excellent portriat of human life have to be broken down to such a simple absolutist statement at the end. I'm a little disapointed right now.

Yeah I don't know what I'm gonna read next but undoubtledly something none-fiction. Perhaps I'll go for "Man's Search for Meaning" by Victor Frankl since I have it sitting around, but I really don't want to read another book thats conclusion lies in the grace of god. I was thinking of possibly reading some Foucault, my housemate has been raving about him, and his colaberation of history and philosphy sounds very interesting.

I read Paul Auster's "New York Trilogy" and found it amazing. has someone read it, would be intressting to hear your opinions? and in case you liked it, can you recomend some book similar to that?

Recently finished Wittgenstein's Tracatus, and even though it has flaws, overall it was amazing. His arguments are very strong until he ventures into ethics, which are clearly his weak point (he is not as well read as his contemporaries). That said, his elucidations regarding Logic, Mathematics, and thought in general make it an essential read (seriously). Bonus points for packing it all in a concise 89 pages.

Next Id thought id give Badiou's Ethics a combing through...

Well the Brothers Karamozov is great. My cat is named after one of the characters. Anything by Dostoevsky is superb.

My favorite book of all time is "The Reincarnation of Peter Proud" its pretty interesting. Its about a man who finds out about reincarnation and finds out who he was in his previous life, and ends up dating his daughter from his previous life.

Has anyone read A Civil Action by Jonathan Harr? A surprisingly engrossing and captivating read if you ask me. I was surprised by the quality of the story, even more so upon discovering that it was a nonfiction account.

Justin S. said:
Recently finished Wittgenstein's Tracatus, and even though it has flaws, overall it was amazing. His arguments are very strong until he ventures into ethics, which are clearly his weak point (he is not as well read as his contemporaries). That said, his elucidations regarding Logic, Mathematics, and thought in general make it an essential read (seriously). Bonus points for packing it all in a concise 89 pages.

Next Id thought id give Badiou's Ethics a combing through...

I may have to give that a read, even if I disagree with him.

Before Motown: A History of JAzz in Detroit, 1920-60 by Lars Bjorn with Jim Gallert.

It's good. It's got tons of quotes from the local newspapers and interviews with the main contributers to the scene. It's got insight on race relations and maps on the expansion of the black communities in Detroit. My Dad (Irish Catholic) grew up in Detroit during this time, so I can bounce what I read off him and discuss things. Yesterday I told him that there was a jazz club with a Jewish owner, a Black manager, across the street from a Catholic neighborhood in the '40s. He honestly busted out laughing then shook his head and said, "it was a very different time", still grinning from ear to ear.

just started getting into Gene Wolfe's "The Book of the New Sun". it was originally 4 seperate works, and he has since expanded on the story. it is an epic tale of fantasy with a scifi edge, set 50,000 years in the future on some distant dying planet beneath a dying star. the social climate is pre-industrial, but 'artifacts' remain of electricity powered devices and similar advancements long since forgotten. it's expertly written with interesting philosophical ponderings and realistic characters. the narrator, also the main character, even lies directly to the reader in his recount of his story. it begins with the character, a journeyman from the guild of torturers, as he is exiled to a distant post for the crime of showing mercy to a victim.

I would recommend a book written by A. Fomenko "History: Fiction or Science?"

It is a populary written "light" version of his first scientific work about his research (there is more), "Empirico-statistical analysis of narrative material and its applications to historical dating"
I have read this original book, but I guess that "popular" version would be easier to swallow, as original is filled with matematical formulas and statistic analysis data.

it is hardly to explain easily what the book is about without making some people react like it is rubbish because it looks at first glance as one of those sensational books about "hidden side" of history, but it is far from that: Fomenko is one of the greatest living matematicians of Russia, and this is result of two decades of reaserch. Also I have never seen any serious negative argument about content of this book.

Fomenko is using a lot of different methods based on mathematic resulting with the same facts: There is almost 800 - 1000 years of history too much, based only on multiplying same events and persons by historians, probably starting with basis of our knowledge, few historical works made by Christian Church priests, that were far from accurate. It also appears that problem with our current concepts about history is not only in time scale, but in facts that it was easy to prove that some parts of history as we know it were completely made up.

Again, this all can sound like it is a lot of rubbish, but I think that anyone that wants to better understand sociology or politics, not only history, should read this book. Read it without preconceptions and you may be shocked about how logical and obvious it was all the time, and in what way we are made to belive in what is served to us without rethinking so called "facts". I personally was.