Books

I really seem to enjoy love stories with unhappy endings as my fave books include "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte, "The English Patient" by Michael Ondaatje and "The Constant Gardener" by John le Carré, which I am reading at the moment.
Interestingly enough, all three books were adapted for the screen with Ralph Fiennes playing the lead role. Now guess who's my fave actor...;)

the "Hagakure" by Yamamoto Tsunetomo
It about the way of samurai! It's very interesting, so deep and for a guy who love Japan it's perfect !

'TLOTR' and 'Silmarillion' by Tolkien
the 'Dune' series by F. Herbert
the 'Helliconia' trilogy by B. Aldiss
the 'Witcher' books by A. Sapkowski
some books by the Strugatzky brothers like 'Roadside Picnic', 'Distant Rainbow' etc.
'Solaris' by S. Lem
the 'Ring' series by S. Baxter
and many more...

+1 for Dune and LoTR.

but my favorites are:

A Song of Ice and Fire, by George R.R. Martin.
Martin writes midaeval fantasy in a way that is simultaneously realistic and fantastic. He is an avid historian of the period and so his characters and setting reflect the age, although they use a more modern dialect in most cases. What makes him most interesting though, are two unique points:

His mastery of symbolism. He includes flashes of prophecy and icons which have, at first, one important meaning, but as the story unfolds, you begin to see multiple representations, most notably with the title. Without giving much away, I will say that the "song" of "ice" and "fire" can and does represent both a literal song, a song of steel (battle) between two opposing forces, and the central relationship of two people and their "dance" of relation.

Secondly, his very unique storytelling. Martin does not have a main character, and there is no hero nor evil archenemy. Instead, chapters unfold from different character's perspectives. Each has their own view of the world and events. For example, a soldier's chapter would be told at face value, and probably not take in much detail or social implications, he tells it short, crudely, and from a strategic perspective. A little girl on the other hand, might tell her chapter from a fanciful, dreamy perspective where knights are always chivilrous and daring, and everyone can be trusted. Martin never gives an omniscent perspective, you piece the truth together from comparing and contrasting their views. Each character is not "good" or "evil", they are all varying shades of gray instead of black and white. They have their own goals and desires, and work against and with each other to further them. This results in a great canvas of storytelling in which you root for your favorite team, as it goes. It's full of intrigue, sex, war, philosophy, comedy, - Martin leaves nothing out. Because his characters are believably real and make mistakes, his story takes on a very real presence as you read it, which makes it my favorite series.

The Book of the New Sun, and Litany of the Long Sun, by Gene Wolfe.
Wolfe's New Sun is an amazing allegory. Set aeons into our future, when planet Earth is only known as Urth among many other distant worlds, and the sun has entered its final phase before death, Wolfe writes the story of a Torturer. His world is an extreme prediction of what humanity will do, how we have advanced far beyond any current technology, but that these advances are only available or known to the elite of society. The peasants on the other hand, live in the ruins of that shattered glory age of humanity. Their life is very similar to what we experienced around 1600. Juxtaposed with this are the flying vehicles, laser weapons, and interplanetary gates that the ruling force possesses.

In the story, the main character belongs to a torturer's guild, whose job it is to receive instructions on what punishments are to be carried out, and do so. He quickly learns that his heart holds other desires, and is expelled for showing mercy. Thus begins his wanderings and his journey away from his society, and yet towards it in a larger sense. Wolfe tells his tale using dialogue, poetry, a playscript, historical documents, and every other medium of literature. It is a praise of human art, echoing relics of our past, and theirs, which is our present and future.

He also maintains throughout the book that he merely translated it, and did not invent it. This is curious considering also the theme of time-travel that the ruling class possesses. Although it is never outwardly stated, it is implied by the existance of a character who cannot remember his past, but appears (to the reader) to be a person from the 20th century. Also, certain events at the end of the book have some effect on those in the beginning. Thus Wolfe explores humanity through the hallways of time, past, present, future, and writes a beautiful story whose crowning moment is intensely spiritual.

Long Sun continues in Wolfe's style, which appears to be set in a vast space colony. The inhabitants are unaware that they float in the cosmos, they see only their city, their lake, and other cities which are far above them (on the other side of the cylinder), and the "long sun" that gives light for half the day. In this world, Wolfe creates a story in which the main character, an unbelieving priest, is visited by a vision of a "god" through a "window", which appears to the reader to be a mechanical tv-screen like device. The story follows this man as he searches out, instead, another god, who he believes charged him with discovering and telling people of the more important and possibly more real god who exists even beyond their cities in the deep darkness filled with points of light. In this world, the people use little metal and clear plastic "bits" as money, which are broken off as pieces from a "card". These cards are clear plastic squares with metal labyrinths etched across their surface. I find this story to be my second favorite, as it chronicles first skepticism, and then geniune wonder and discovery, following this character in his quest for the unknown, when humanity has all but forgotten its past.

Ollo-San said:
the "Hagakure" by Yamamoto Tsunetomo
It about the way of samurai! It's very interesting, so deep and for a guy who love Japan it's perfect !
I'll have to check that one out... I'm interested in Asian historical culture.

A good one about old China: The Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Tells the story of how the 7 feudal states collapsed into 3 through intrigue and war, romance and politics, and which state ultimately defeated the other two to form an empire. Although slightly exaggerated for folkloric reasons, it is also largely a true story.

favourite books excluding those from turkish literature:
Neil Gaiman - American Gods
Terry Pratchett - Jingo
Amin Maalouf - Samarcande
Oscar Wilde - The Picture of Dorian Gray
Jack London - Martin Eden
Irvin Yalom - When Nietzsche Wept
J.R.R. Tolkien - The Lord Of The Rings

If i'd write reasons why i like them, it would take lots of pages so i won't :p

Anything by John Keegan. He´s a genius of history of warfare. Recently I´ve read these by him:

The First World War
The Mask Of Command - The Study Of Generalship
Six Armies In Normandy

Tomorrow I´m going to the post office to pick up Sun Tzu - The Art Of War, and Carl Von Clausewitz - On War

Apart from that I´m also getting started with the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. So far I´ve read The Colour Of Magic, and the first bit of The Light Fantastic. Those books are so fucking hilarious, poor Rincewind having to drag around the stoopid tourist Twoflower! :D

Terry Pratchett is probably one of the most talented authors i have ever seen. he has so many books but all of them are of extraordinary quality. his sense of humor and his storytelling are just wonderful.

the last one i read was "Jingo" from the discworld series. it tells about a stupid war between two neighbour countries on the disc. it reminds me a lot about the conflicts between turkey and greece. (though from the countries in the book we could tell it was like "europe vs. middle east" since one of the nations is like a symbolized version of arabs) i like the absurd aproach towards international conflicts in the book so that's why i wrote it in my favorites list, but I adore all of his books that I've read (the colour of magic, light fantastic, equal rites, mort, wyrd sisters, eric and jingo. they're all amazing, keep on reading.)

Pratchett is simply The Master! The best thing is that once u read one of his books u cant imagine that there can be sth better than this until u take the next one;)apart maybe from some works done with other writers(Good Omen) Whole discworld seria is great I advise to look into Feet Of Clay and The Truth,theres never enough of City Watch!;)

with Terry occupying the whole 1st position the rest of the list will be:

2.ROBERT JORDAN and his saga of Wheel Of Time read till 5th part(and cant get the 6th anywhere wrrr) long but for fantasy lovers nothing better.

3.SAPKOWSKI Andrzej the best polish fantasy writer ( its not all about Wiedzmin I just get Narrenturm*mniam* rewelacja;)

and I think my life would have been different if not C S Lewis,Roger Zelazny(I found in Steimatzky the whole Amber saga in one book!!!more than 1000 pages:))))

Out of the "writers of light" ;) de Mello , Coelho and Murphy the big three:)

Kenneth R. said:
I'll have to check that one out... I'm interested in Asian historical culture.

A good one about old China: The Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Tells the story of how the 7 feudal states collapsed into 3 through intrigue and war, romance and politics, and which state ultimately defeated the other two to form an empire. Although slightly exaggerated for folkloric reasons, it is also largely a true story.

I advise you this book if you want to know the samurai's behaviours

If i have to choose only one book,it's an old one with stories,mysteries and legends that my grandma read to me each evening when i was a child,bu few people knows about it:"Farfelune & légendes"...Pure magic!!!
"Le Parfum"and"The contrebass"by Patrick Suskind,all books of C.Baudelaire and also HP Lovecraft,"Walk or Die","Shinning"and"Simetierre"by S.King,"Fayrie's book"by B.Froud & A.Lee,many photography books(A.Julia,Y.Paccalet...)and lots of humouristic ones too bu if i say all,the night will pass and tomorrow too!!!LOL!!!:D

I love fantasy novels more than anything. My favourite authors would be Raymond E. Feist, Terry Goodkind, J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. I haven't come across anything by these authors which I haven't thoroughly enjoyed.

Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk. I'm Tyler Durden. :)

American Gods - Neil Gaiman. I'm interested in Mythology, and this book really rocks!

Q - Luther Blissed. An incredibile history novel about the Martin Luther era.

Asce di guerra - Wu Ming & Vitagliano Ravagli. The translation is 'battle axe0 or better Tomahawk. It talks about an italian partisan who go fight in Laos after second warld war.

Master and Margarita - Bulgakov. Mystery, magic and Satan in Russia.

Non è successo niente - Tiziano Sclavi. The translation is 'Nothing's appened', a beautiful introspectiv novel.

Il Pendolo di Fucault - Umberto Eco. Translation 'Fucault's Pendulum' an incredible trip arount templar, spies, and alternative history.

Since I have just (today) found out that in october I´m going to the southern Afghanistan as a soldier, I´ll have to recommend Roland Jaquard - 'Au Nom d´Oussama Ben Laden' (In The name Of Osama Bin Laden) and Ahmad Rashid - 'Taliban - Islam, Oil And The New Great Game In Central Asia'

Those two books can shed so much light on the whole situation!