Bootlegs, How does Opeth and u guys feel about these.

really******loud

Lettice .Ain't no RABBIT.
I personally feel that even though The bands may feel that they rob them of money, it keeps their image strong while you wait for their next recording and any real fan will not buy a bootleg and not already have all available recordings from them? And to if the band is a underground band its always extra coverage (advertising for them). I know a band or record label will feel if a DVD or live recording is taken, its lost money for them and someone else is profiting off them. But in reality they (the band etc) proberly never intended to make a copy of the show etc in any format and if they did, then it would sell regardless so in essence they haven't lost anything but have actually gained advertising!!! This is just my opinion whats yours?
(and no I don't make bootlegs but I buy them and all originals)

Quite frankly, bootlegs are the closest I'll come to an actual live concert for quite a while (of any band), so I collect video and audio bootlegs and share/trade them for others. I dont think I'm ripping off the band because the bootlegs are always inferior in quality, and I always buy the albums if they're available.

If I recall I remember reading an interview where Mikael said it was really cool people were bootlegging their shows. He said he was also trying to get himself a copy of some of them :lol:. Being big on the whole collection thing, I'm sure he, at least, is fine with it.

It's definately the labels that have the biggest problem with this, because the only thing they are focused on is $$. They dont care the mechanics behind something... if they believe there is the slightest chance it's losing them money, they will try to stop it.

One of the band's roadcrew mailed me in 2001 asking for a copy (original minidisk) of their show that I recorded in Dublin - I sent it, and they sent it back, with thanks, so I think that answers that!

A newspaper interviewed them while they were here in Mexico, and Mike said he loved the fact that people were doing bootlegs. he actually said it helped the band get more publicity.

Personally, I am a collector of bootlegs. I buy and download whatever I can, usually shows that I have been to. Bootlegs are a great way for bands to get recognized, and for fans to see/hear their fave bands live, even if they cant afford the rediculous ticket prices. I have found that Opeth bootlegs are usually mid to low quality audio and very dark visual. Other than the Providence show on the Damnation tour, are there any that sound good?

Mr. Mojojo said:
Other than the Providence show on the Damnation tour, are there any that sound good?
Try these for a start:

23.03.2001 - Kashmir, Boräs, Sweden
12.04.2001 - House Of Blues, Chicago, Illinois, USA
30.06.2001 - Waldrock Festival, Burgum, The Netherlands
11.05.2003 - House Of Blues, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
15.06.2003 - Fields Of Rock Festival, Nijmegan, The Netherlands
19.07.2003 - Berklee Performance Centre, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
21.07.2003 - 9:30 Club, Washington, DC, USA
28.07.2003 - Fox Theater, Boulder, Colorado, USA
30.07.2003 - House Of Blues, Los Angeles, California, USA

All of those sound as good as/if not better than the Providence show to my ears.

As for the whole bootleg thing...I don't think people should be buying and selling them. What's the point when their readily available for trade and download? I know the band are cool with people taping and trading their shows but I'd be surprised if they thought people selling them was cool aswell.

If everyone traded in one form or another then the band wouldn't lose any money (and they do lose money to a certain extent - royalties etc) and these idiots who sell live stuff for extortionate amounts of money would go out of 'business'.

Personally I don't see the logic in it. Why pay £25 - £30 for that really rare recording when you can get a recording from someone for the cost of, say, 2 blank CDRs + the postage?! Most of the time when you go the expensive way your only getting a copy anyway.

I buy 100 CDRs a month at the cost of £22. With that I get 40 - 50 shows from various bands and from various people all over the world via trading. Not once have I actually bought just one recording.

Obviously though it comes down to the individual. If your willing to pay then good luck to you. But don't start complaining when the quality is poor and it turns into the sort of thing that goes into your collection and only gets listened to once.

All you need is a little bit of patience and you'll eventually find what your after and all the people with them. Don't go for the quick option and waste your money on eBay or wherever, save a bit of money and use a bit of common sense.

um, I don't know if it's just me..... but I've heard the 9:30 club one, and it sounds like when I hook up my computer to my amp and play Opeth songs with the gain way up. Maybe I just have a damaged copy?

when they saw "no cameras" for the venue (like the Feb. 12th show at the House of Blues Orlando), to they mean no camcorders or audio? cause i can't see then banning photographs....or do they?

"they do lose money to a certain extent - royalties etc"

But in reality they (the band etc) proberly never intended to make a copy of the show etc in any format and if they did, then it would sell regardless so in essence they haven't lost anything but have actually gained advertising .

I can't see how if you buy a bootleg a band would loose royalties, in the way that like it has been said they're poor quality really and only their real hardcore fans usually buy them!!! So its really only keeping the hungary fan keen for their next high quality CD release? I know when you look at say it, from a legal point of view on paper its copywright, but its not usually a studio recording is it!!! Any points of view proving me wrong would be a positive negitive.

Bootlegs are good for people such as myself who arent 18 yet and can't goto Opeth or a majority of metal gigs yet (in Australia anyway). It gives you a good idea of what they would be like if you saw them live.

really******loud said:
"they do lose money to a certain extent - royalties etc"

But in reality they (the band etc) proberly never intended to make a copy of the show etc in any format and if they did, then it would sell regardless so in essence they haven't lost anything but have actually gained advertising .

I can't see how if you buy a bootleg a band would loose royalties, in the way that like it has been said they're poor quality really and only their real hardcore fans usually buy them!!! So its really only keeping the hungary fan keen for their next high quality CD release? I know when you look at say it, from a legal point of view on paper its copywright, but its not usually a studio recording is it!!! Any points of view proving me wrong would be a positive negitive.
I don't disagree that it can enhance the band's reputation (if it's a good recording) and I do understand where you are coming from. But the way I see it is that once a bootleg is in the public domain and SOMEBODY is making some money from it then the band are losing out and are entitled to their share of whatever profits are made on it - regardless of whether they intended to release it or not. Why should the bootlegger reape all the rewards? After all if Opeth weren't there playing on it then there wouldn't be a recording to speak of!

Martyr said:
"um, I don't know if it's just me..... but I've heard the 9:30 club one, and it sounds like when I hook up my computer to my amp and play Opeth songs with the gain way up. Maybe I just have a damaged copy? .
I know which version you mean, but my copy is from a different source and sounds much better :)

Another band's statement on this topic:

What is Porcupine Tree's policy on fans taping gigs and the trading and selling of live recordings ?

The band have no problem with shows being audio taped discreetly (anyone blatantly doing it at the front of the stage will be asked to stop). Video taping concerts is generally not allowed. The band have no problem with fans trading live recordings privately (but advertising them on a web page is not acceptable).

THE BAND WILL BE EXTREMELY PISSED OFF TO FIND ANYONE SELLING (OR AUCTIONING ON EBAY) LIVE RECORDINGS ON CDR OR CASSETTE FOR PERSONAL PROFIT !!

http://www.porcupinetree.com

scorpian007 said:
Bootlegs are good for people such as myself who arent 18 yet and can't goto Opeth or a majority of metal gigs yet (in Australia anyway). It gives you a good idea of what they would be like if you saw them live.

you have to be 18 to go to a show? :ill:

that sucks man!

Yonder said:

The band have no problem with shows being audio taped discreetly (anyone blatantly doing it at the front of the stage will be asked to stop). (but advertising them on a web page is not acceptable).

:loco: what kind of ridiculous policy is that? You can tradethem but only if nobody sees you?:p twits.....

Yonder said:
Another band's statement on this topic:

What is Porcupine Tree's policy on fans taping gigs and the trading and selling of live recordings ?

The band have no problem with shows being audio taped discreetly (anyone blatantly doing it at the front of the stage will be asked to stop). Video taping concerts is generally not allowed. The band have no problem with fans trading live recordings privately (but advertising them on a web page is not acceptable).

THE BAND WILL BE EXTREMELY PISSED OFF TO FIND ANYONE SELLING (OR AUCTIONING ON EBAY) LIVE RECORDINGS ON CDR OR CASSETTE FOR PERSONAL PROFIT !!

http://www.porcupinetree.com
Whats the difference standing in front or to the side your still recording them.huh

I think we should have every right to record shows we pay money into.
i mean, if the band isn't planning on releasing it themselves then it's hardly a conflict of interests.

"THE BAND WILL BE EXTREMELY PISSED OFF TO FIND ANYONE SELLING (OR AUCTIONING ON EBAY) LIVE RECORDINGS ON CDR OR CASSETTE FOR PERSONAL PROFIT !! "

ahem...fuck off steve wilson you fucking wanka...

Graveless: On the 12.04.2001 - House Of Blues, Chicago, Illinois, USA bootleg, the solo on The Leper Affinity is so fucked up haha, he goes all high and plays it not even remotely like the cd, haha I love it