Is Opeth they only metal group 4 u?

I hope he wasn't serious. Oh, and why camel?

He was serious. So am I. The traditional view of a metalhead is someone who wears black, long hair, aggressive teenager etc. I'm not that at all. I wear polos (though not pink), have short cropped hair, and am relaxed. I'd hate for people to stereotype me as a metalhead when it has such negative connotations. And why camel? I have no idea! It's just the way NFU's brain works:loco:

He was serious. So am I. The traditional view of a metalhead is someone who wears black, long hair, aggressive teenager etc. I'm not that at all. I wear polos (though not pink), have short cropped hair, and am relaxed. I'd hate for people to stereotype me as a metalhead when it has such negative connotations. And why camel? I have no idea! It's just the way NFU's brain works:loco:

Ahh stereotypes...

I'm none of those things either. But I honestly don't care if people refer to me as a metalhead. If they are ignorant and uneducated enough to presume that I am aggressive, stupid and have long hair, just because I listen to metal, thats their problem. Often those who label/invent these stereotypes and generalizations, and abide by them, are the most uneducated, retarded people out there. I mean, not everyone who listens to classic rock, classical music, jazz whatever is a model citizen. Not every catholic priest is a pedophile.

Either way, nothing in the world is going to make me consider drinking camel goo. Thats just :erk::puke:

Not the only metal band for me, but one of the few.

Let me see...

I love Opeth, I love old In Flames (before RTR), I like Rammstein, I like Black Sabbath, I like a few Metallica songs....that's about the extent that I listen to metal.

/cue flames about how Rammstein and Black Sabbath aren't really metal

Haha... the Sabbath isn't metal thread....

I guess I'm INTO metal. Being a metalhead is sort of a lifestyle thing, and I've never really let my musical choices dictate my lifestyle. I starred in musicals in HS and college, sang in an a cappela group, composed serial/dodecaphonic music, played in a rock band, went to Phish concerts. But I was never really part of any of those scenes. I'd like to think I'm more complex than that.

Haha, well, I suppose I do meet the metalhead stereotype appearance-wise somewhat. I have rather long hair (shoulder-blade length) and tend to wear black frequently. The former is simply due to the fact that I think long hair is awesome, and the latter is out of habit, as I used to firmly believe that I looked like shit in any other color. However, I'm very non-aggressive and I've never had an alcoholic drink in my life. But do I like metal? Yeah, but usually it's the stuff that goes beyond the norm that I really enjoy.

So no, Opeth's not the only metal group for me.

I have no problem identifying as a metalhead because I am confident in myself and know that I don't embody what I consider the negative side of those stereotypes.

I have long hair, but wear clothes of all colours (pretty much whatever fits and is comfortable!) and listen to a LOT of non-metal too so eh!

Why all this rubbish about stereotypes? Being a "metalhead" hasn't really anything to do with what you look like, what your age is, what your IQ is, etc. Being a metalhead is about identifying with and loving this music, and knowing there is something in it that resonates within you. What others think of you for it is scarcely the point, now is it?

Oh, and just for the sake of keeping on topic, no, Opeth isn't the only metal band for me. Far too many to name, but their works can be found in my collection alongside of names like John Coletrane, CCR, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Ramones, Mozart. It's the music that's important. Nothing else. Camel cum included. :)

Why all this rubbish about stereotypes? Being a "metalhead" hasn't really anything to do with what you look like, what your age is, what your IQ is, etc. Being a metalhead is about identifying with and loving this music, and knowing there is something in it that resonates within you. What others think of you for it is scarcely the point, now is it?

Oh, and just for the sake of keeping on topic, no, Opeth isn't the only metal band for me. Far too many to name, but their works can be found in my collection alongside of names like John Coletrane, CCR, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Ramones, Mozart. It's the music that's important. Nothing else. Camel cum included. :)

THANK YOU!!! I almost had to change the topic to: "Are you a metal-freak?"

Being a metalhead in the stereotypical sense of the word has a lot to do with what you look like, what your age is, what your IQ is, etc.:loco: But it all depends on what YOUR definition of a metalhead is. And this leads to all that philosophical crap that soundave nicely ranted about in some other thread. I don't really mind what people consider themselves to be but I don't want to be considered a metalhead. Period.:saint:

Oh :eek: Do you really just lissend to Them? Thats a bit impressiv, not that I wanna be a person thats just to into one band.. I lissend to a lot, really a LOT of Metal. I'm a true metal lover. Metal and black metal. But Gah.. i don't see my self as an metalhead or what you called it:p I love metal, its just my kind of music <3 Its just really a kind of music that I feel always fits my person :) It's all started when my best friend listend to Guns n' roses.. then I started with the one band and another, and another, and another;) I lissen to very much different, and if you just lissend to Opeth you should sheck out some other kind of metal too. not the normal shit if you think its to normal, but have you lissend to bands like; BUlelt for mye valentine, Lostprophets, Poets of the fall, Battelheart, Nightwish, Dope, HIM, (off course) Iron maiden, Sonata artica, Dragonforce, within temptation or the "new" band Trivium? Just sheck some out, I like them all, not every one is soo fucking good as Opeth<3 But its a few other awsome bands and groups in that list i think;) Just lissen to a cuople of songs at least;) POets of the fall is real god:p

What ever but thats me:p I LOVE METAL:D

Well its is for me! I'm not into metal and never was. Opeth is on top of the list and thats because they are beyond metal. The only thing that tags them as a metal band is the brutality of their sound.

I was wondering if other people here feel the same way or they are just metalheads.

I listen to a lot of metal bands. Almost every genre out there. I leave it to the mood to pick a genre to listen to though. Doom metal for the walks. Black metal before sleeps. Death metal in the afternoons. Music is quite a part of my life at the moment.. though its bound to change in the near future.

"I like many, many non metal bands too though. You can't call me a metalhead :)"

^ I hate people scared of being bashed if they admitted them 'liking metal'. Rarely someone starts off with metal. They progress towards liking metal slowly. While having done that, you do not leave behind other genres of music. Every single 'metalhead' listens to music from other genres too, although the shade of the meaning of the word in this very forum has been hugely discolored by the likes of people like NFU.

Anyway, my point is, stop hiding in a shadow and come out and say it out loud if you like metal. Even people who get into metal through opeth do NOT stop there. You cannot be on this message board and not like metal 'as much as the other genres'.

Personally, I only listen to some trance other than metal at the moment. Though.. I'm hugely disappointed at having lost almost 170gb of data last month. In there was almost 80gb of music (90% of it trance). I'm thankful I had some of it on the iPod, though.. almost 22gb.

oh:D You did say soo much I do agree in:) Finaley, its right, if you like metal do not say you don't. that is like saying that you don't dear tell pepole you actually LIKE metal.

I, my self, do not ONLY like metal, i lissen to a lot other kind of music gener. I like rock also, and Enya if anybody heard of them;)
But metal is what i lissen to the most. It is always some metal thats fits youre mode:D