how u discovered opeth...

I pretty sure Opeth is the only completely blind purchase I have ever made - no referrals, no reviews. I just found orchid just after it was released in a little CD store in my home town of Darwin in the north of Australia (pretty remote really) and saw this wierd CD with a pink flower in the metal section and I thought "what the hell is this?". But it had a sticker on the front saying something along the lines of the new style of swedish extreme progressive metal. I thought this sounded interesting. Anyway I decided to have a listen. About 3 and a half minutes later I gave the headphones to my friend and forked over my dollars. Over the next few months I listened to it quite a bit and thought it was awesome. I ordered Morningrise as soon as it came out and to this day it is still by far my favourite album.

So all I can say is thanks to the owner of that stor for getting in something completely obscure and changing my life! It was wierd actually because it was this tiny shop with a metal section that was 100 CDs tops. But he had the wierdest stuff like Summoning, Opeth, Amorphis (Keralian Isthmus! and Tales just after its release). That shop is still there but it has gone downhill significantly. Much bigger metals section but mostly mainstream kind of stuff.

NP: Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left

I had always been a fan of Death/Control Denied, Obituary, Vengeance Rising & Entombed since 1990. Death/Black Metal has never been my primary listening music but it maintained a presence.

Last year, I was looking for something new. I was scouring Allmusic.com looking at what they had to say about those bands and they had a link for Symphonic Black Metal. It sounded interesting so I checked it out. They mentioned seven or eight albums that are considered to be examples of symphonic black metal: two of them were Opeth albums (MAYH & Still Live). I started to read about Opeth?s albums and I came across ?Blackwater Park?. They called the album ??A work of breathtaking creative breadth?. The cover was great. Even though I?d never heard it I had to buy it.

I now have all of Opeth's albums but "Orchid" and that's on the way. I can't believe I hadn't heard Opeth before last year; I wish I would have discovered them five or six years ago. I feel that they are light years ahead of the pack. I will buy everything Opeth releases until I leave this earth.

Opeth fan since Dec 2001,
Marc

I'd never heard of them until I won tickets from KNAC.com to the Opeth/Nevermore/God Forbid/Angeldust concert last year... I d/l'd a song or two (don't even know what songs) that a Counter-Strike friend referred to me and I thought it was pretty cool... Went to the show (mainly wanting to see Nevermore) and came away in awe of Opeth... Bought Blackwater Park the next day... And here I am...

Originally posted by Oysterboy72
I now have all of Opeth's albums but "Orchard"
I dont have "Orchard" either, i also dont have "My Alms, Your Horse", "Moaningrice", "Steal Life" or "Blackwaiter Pork".

:)

i do however own the albums "My Arms, Your Hearse", "Morningrise", "Still Life", "Blackwater Park" and "ORCHID"

:)

That's difficult to explain.
A friend of me said to me, Ronny (real prename), you have to listen to this Album (he ment Opeth's still life).

At this time i was really on a my dying bride - trip, so i start listening and i was confused.
There are some silent parts and some progressive metal parts with screaming and double bass attacks.

At first time I didn't know what i have to think about Opeth. The only think i knew exactly was This guys are crazy!!!!

but now i like Opeth, they are really great!!!

Hail to OPETH!

Kinda wierd how i discovereed them, a friend told me to download 'patterns in the ivy' first, I didnt know why he suggested a little 2-minute instrumental,but it grew on me. then i downloaded Harvest and To Bid you farewell, and bought morningrise first. after a while i got BwPark and REALLY fell in love with... then eventually the rest of the CDs of course... I forgot what my first impression of the death vocals were at first...

I heard about how great they were when I was browsing a message board a few years ago. People had a lot of good things to say about them, so I decided to check them out. I went to Best Buy every day for a week in the hope that they would have a CD. They finally did, and I bought BWP and fell in love. If it wasn't for a few certain message boards, I would never have gotten into a lot of bands that I love now (Iced Earth, Nevermore, Opeth, etc). Thanks Metallica message board! :D

Originally posted by Oysterboy72
I was scouring Allmusic.com looking at what they had to say about those bands and they had a link for Symphonic Black Metal.It sounded interesting so I checked it out. They mentioned seven or eight albums that are considered to be examples of symphonic black metal: two of them were Opeth albums (MAYH & Still Live)

:err: Well, it's one way of introducing Opeth to the unexpecting public :) Even if they are nowhere near symphonic black metal

One of my friends' kept talking about them, how great they are and so on. I got curious, went to search some of their CD's and found Morningrise. I didn't first really like it, it was something so different I had heard before. I listened to it few times, put it back on the shelf, waited for a while and then took it back to listen. And this time I liked it, and fell in love with it. Then I bought the rest of the albums, fell in love with them too.

I read a good review of My Arms, Your Hearse in Burnthesun.com (which has mysteriously disappeared in recent weeks) and went out and bought the album, though I didn't really love Opeth until after I got Still Life (which I think is their best album).

Hahaha, some of these answers... :lol:

Unlike FlyingV, I actually did discover Opeth! Yeah, me! I did it! Thank me later. Really... it's... your welcome. OK, up off the floor. Bowing isn't necessary. If I can make just a handful of metalheads happy then it makes it all worth it.

tongue.gif

I - like curbstone - bought Opeth blindly. Just bought it because of the scattered praise it was getting from onliners. NOW I KNOW, however that the shittiest bands can get praise from people online, but I lucked out there. Oddly enough, it was the first time I bought something blindly, and I'm making it my last time because of what could have happened... YET you'd think I'd do it again because of how greatly I was rewarded for doing so the first time. Ya know?

"It's hard to say where I've been."

its weird how i got into them. my friend heard demon of the fall at blockbuster, it was playing on the tv near closing time on some cable radio station thingy. he bought blackwater park a couple weeks later and let me borrow it.

but what the fuck, he heard of opeth at blockbuster?! on tv!!!