Borknagar reunion

Eindride

Dec 22, 2007
We seem to live in a time when old artists that for some reason broke up back in the day are reuniting, perhaps for the reason of once again experience som sheed of the past glory. Sometimes these reunions are for the better, other times they seem to be for the worse. Was it Iron Maiden who started this by reuniting with Dickinson/Smith? And what has it to do with Borknagar? I will put it simply like this:

In my most humble opinion the best version of Borknagar is the one with Simen (Vortex) on vocals. And without being disrespectful against against the very talented Mr. V I would like to see Brun and Simen once again embark on an musical expedition together. And no matter how much i love both Empiricism and Epic i still think there was a certain magic surrounding The Archaic Course that these albums really doesn't come close to.

I have been thinking alot about this, especially since i think it is unnecessary for Mr. Brun and Mr. V to work on t-w-o projects together. Why doesn't Brun just make Cronian with Mr.V and Borknagar with Simen?

And in all honestly, i really dont think Brun was fair to Simen back in the day when he gave him the ultimatum "Borknagar or Dimmu - chose one, not both", since Brun doesn't seem to have a problem with Mr.V having plenty of projects.

I don't think you've really thought this one through. And in fairness while I know you meant no disrespeact you're being really disrespectfull. ICS left and that was a long time ago.

Edit-Gee I sure do feel stupid for going on these druken rants now about how Simen should be back in Borknagar now that I know wikipedia told it wrong and it's Simens god damn fault.

^lol. do you know why did he commit suicide anyway? I remember asking on this forum quite a while ago, but I don't think anyone knew.

ontopic: I think it would be a stupid idea to bring him back as full-time singer. as a guest at concerts would be awesome though, and they should bring Garm while they're at it :D
in other words, ain't gonna happen..

It would NOT be a stupid idea! It would return Borknagar to it's former glory. In fact, it would be the best idea in the world second only to recruiting Simen in the first place.

Having him back doing "bass and occasional epic vocals", would be insulting.... and also in my opinion completely pointless.
Being honest if that ever happened I'd be disapointed, because then you'd have loads of ICS fanboys just asking to kick Mr V out.

It would NOT be a stupid idea! It would return Borknagar to it's former glory. In fact, it would be the best idea in the world second only to recruiting Simen in the first place.

your vortex fanboyism scares me.

Anyway, it would be cool for Bork to do a tour or one album with vortex, and even for vortex to work with mr. V But I think Borknagar is doing great the way they currently are, with the exception of not touring(booo!) I just wish they were more highly respected and well known then other black metal groups.

And in all honestly, i really dont think Brun was fair to Simen back in the day when he gave him the ultimatum "Borknagar or Dimmu - chose one, not both", since Brun doesn't seem to have a problem with Mr.V having plenty of projects.

You're wrong. Simen never got that ultimatum. We're not behaving like children.

BTW - Since it happens so seldom, it actually feels like a reunion every time we meet and rehearse...

^lol. do you know why did he commit suicide anyway? I remember asking on this forum quite a while ago, but I don't think anyone knew.
I don't know, and I don't really think it's any of our business.

your vortex fanboyism scares me.
For once I agree.

While I am very fond of Simen's work in metal, you must remember that time in Borknagar has been and gone and I can't understand why you guys can't appreciate it for what it was, instead of wanting more and more. I'm sure there are good reasons for Simen's departure and for why him returning would be bad. Sometimes I feel like I'm one of the only people to really enjoy Borknagar's new direction, while Simen-era was wonderful I find Epic and Origin to be two amazing albums on their own.

Holy shit, Asgier is back! I've missed your lovely cynical replies on this forum <3
Having a real life is overrated! Stay here and converse with us nerds!

I don't know, and I don't really think it's any of our business.

For once I agree.

While I am very fond of Simen's work in metal, you must remember that time in Borknagar has been and gone and I can't understand why you guys can't appreciate it for what it was, instead of wanting more and more. I'm sure there are good reasons for Simen's departure and for why him returning would be bad. Sometimes I feel like I'm one of the only people to really enjoy Borknagar's new direction, while Simen-era was wonderful I find Epic and Origin to be two amazing albums on their own.

Holy shit, Asgier is back! I've missed your lovely cynical replies on this forum <3
Having a real life is overrated! Stay here and converse with us nerds!

your not the only one, Borknagar has improved incredibly over the years...they keep getting better and better.

to asgier: ditch those sun glasses:lol:

You're wrong. Simen never got that ultimatum. We're not behaving like children.

BTW - Since it happens so seldom, it actually feels like a reunion every time we meet and rehearse...
Haha owned.

But seriously this is stupid and everyone should just stop talking about it.

It's easy for you Mr.V fanboys to tell me to stop complaining, you have him in great bands. Meanwhile Simen completely goes to waste in Dimmu and is now in a mediocre black metal band who's fanbase has already decided he's inferior to Kvhost without having heard the new album. Wohoo. :bah:

At the very least I hope Mr.V doesn't give up on his idea of working together with Simen on something. All I want is for my idol to be in a band where he isn't wasted. :(

Simen can just do bass and occasional epic vocals!

NO! We saw what happens when he's assigned that role, and for the past 7 years since Spiritual Black Dimensions. I'm sick of his vocal potential being suppressed, playing second banana to Shagrath. Giving him the same job in Borknagar would not be as bad but I'm not happy until he fronts a band. This is why I'm psyched for the new Code record, since Lamented Souls is comatose at the moment.

I agree with you completely sir, but it wouldn't be fair to Mr.V to have Simen do full time vocals. I'm just trying to be realistic, even though I know it still won't happen. *sigh*