Borknagar @ Wacken 2009

I am in no way a metalhead. As in I do not dress like it and I'm not involved in the scene. Yet I know more about metal and enjoy it more than pretty much every woman I have ever met who claims to like it.

I always get this feeling a lot of metal women are making up for their lack of passion for the music by dressing up in silly "goth" clothing. Oh well, guys care more about a woman's appearence than her taste in music, so whatever.

I take both into account, I hate stupid bitches dressed like Goths and have never heard a Goth band, or the fat sluts wearing an Iron Maiden shirt and do not know what "Powerslave" is :rolleyes: .

I actually uploaded the wrong one I realized upon reading this, I put up the one with bassboost, which has a shit load more distortion, this one is more clean:

http://rapidshare.com/files/280189676/Borknagar_-_Universal__Wacken_1998___Good_.mp3

Thanks! :headbang:

Metalstorm.se said:
Barry: Borknagar is a band you just had a feeling that is shouldn't be missed. Over on the Party Stage then was the next port of call for these extreme metallers who didn't seem to know if they were supposed to be a progressive metal band or a black metal band. They are another band similar to the newer Enslaved in that they probably please both camps to some degree, please a few people immensely, and please some people not at all. Personally preferring the faster black metal parts it became a little frustrating waiting for them to come about as for some people it may have been the same but the other way around. Quite a bizarre band, but entertaining nonetheless.

Daniel: One noteworthy thing about Borknagar probably is the mix of the sound: no other band had the bass as much in the foreground as these Norwegians. And absolutely rightly so as Erik "Tyr" Tiwaz's bass playing was pure magic! Presenting his new custom-built fretless 8-string bass Tiwaz created the foundation and the sky of Borknagar's sound, the framework in which all the other musicians poured their input. Even if the sheer awesomeness of the lineup (featuring Vintersorg on vocals, Solefald's Lazare on keyboards and Malevolent Creation's former drummer David Kinkade) didn't convince you, simply staring at Tiwaz in awe throughout the set made for a great time alright.

Very nice review! The guy knows that it's really an honour to see Borknagar live. I disagree with the bass stuff though, in ueXpect "Chaoth" has a nine-string bass and is usually in the forefront too, I guess the reviewer doesn't know the band. Both Erik and Chaoth are great players :) .

The review was pretty good ..... Everyone has a different ear for sound and there own opinions about how it should sound.
which is good ... but at times it seems that everyone is a sound engineer !!!!
Has anyone else seen any more Wacken reviews and who's coming to the shows next week?

Haha yeah, I play bass too and if my 4 string is heavy, I really cannot imagine how heavy an 8/9 string one would be. I have played a 6-string one, and it was bloody heavy.

My 6 string isn't that heavy...

You want a really heavy bass? Get one of those plexiglass Ampegs... or a really old Fender, those things weigh a ton.

The review was pretty good ..... Everyone has a different ear for sound and there own opinions about how it should sound.
Has anyone else seen any more Wacken reviews and who's coming to the shows next week?

The few reviews I read were German reviews and if I remember correctly there were no comments on the sound (I believe that's what you were aiming at).

The few reviews I read were German reviews and if I remember correctly there were no comments on the sound (I believe that's what you were aiming at).

Long overdue, but we have finally finished our (giant) photoseries and review from the Wacken gig, and it's up at our site. Hope you like what you see and read (and yeah, there was a short comment about sound, don't know when that snuck in there, I promise :oops:)

So, next week we'll be seeing them in Hamburg, and that review will definitely be done faster (although that isn't saying much, I know...)

Thanks Tobz.... cant open the review tho ... dont know if its the website or not.
Proberbly wont get a chance to see for for a while anyway ... i start the Code, Solstafir, Secrets of the Moon tour tomorrow ... and meet up with Borknagar in Hamburg later this week.
Come and say 'Hi' in Hamburg.

cant open the review tho ... dont know if its the website or not.

Come and say 'Hi' in Hamburg.

My first advise would be, try again. We keep running into some problems with downtime from server sadly, but they usually pass in a short period of time.
If you keep having the problem, I would appreciate it if you could tell me what kind of operative system you use, and also which browser.

Not that I'd mind saying hi, but it may be a bit hard since I don't know how you look :p
Possibly we'll see SOTM and the rest in Copenhagen as well, we just haven't got a confirmation yet...

I could open and read the article without problems. Nice writing. I was actually feeling jealous.
And you got some cool pictures.

when you go to concerts you see a lot of girls dress up as they would walk the catwalk, perfectly dressed and maked up, also at festivals, under the burning sun, with 40 fucking degrees (now you have to tell how is it possible, at the end of a festival i usually look like i'm just back from war), and they do it just because it's cool. it's cool to listen to metal, to dress and behave in a certain way, to frequent certain places, then you speak to them, and as you said, they know at least three or four groups (usually the biggest), and when they are out of these situations they listen to dance music, go to the disco, and stuff like that. they are one-night metalgirls :erk:
i really don't understand this phenomenon :loco:

sorry to dig this up right now, but i kinda feel addressed. I am one of those girls who loves to dress up and spend an hour in front of the mirror to create those intricate makeup lines around my eyes every time i go to any significant event, be it metal concert, somebody's birthday, fantasy faire, viking market. I just love sexy (bitchy as you call it) clothes in goth, punk, faerie styles, and if it's a show somehow related to vikings i dress up into medieval cloths and wear my viking gear and drinking horn. I just want to say, you really shouldn't generalize like that, there are also just people like me who actually just enjoy looking good. However, after a day at Ragnarök festial, i look like shit too, but then it doesn't matter anymore :kickass::kickass:

to stay on topic: those pics from metalmoments.net are really great! i wish i knew more sites like that where i could find nice mr.V pics, google doesn't give me much somehow... And thnx for the cool review, now i know what to expect on friday! :headbang:

OT: Great festival!! Too bad they moved it away from Lichtenfels..it was a really nice location!

nah, maybe the new one is even better :p Ragnarök got too big, it was really packed this year, besides next year we'll get 3 days instead of 2! :headbang: would really love to see Vintersorg and/or Borknagar there next year too.... (wishful thinking)... i actually even checked if it was possible to request a band or something..... :saint:

sorry to dig this up right now, but i kinda feel addressed. I am one of those girls who loves to dress up and spend an hour in front of the mirror to create those intricate makeup lines around my eyes every time i go to any significant event, be it metal concert, somebody's birthday, fantasy faire, viking market. I just love sexy (bitchy as you call it) clothes in goth, punk, faerie styles, and if it's a show somehow related to vikings i dress up into medieval cloths and wear my viking gear and drinking horn. I just want to say, you really shouldn't generalize like that, there are also just people like me who actually just enjoy looking good. However, after a day at Ragnarök festial, i look like shit too, but then it doesn't matter anymore :kickass::kickass:

well, defiance and I were speaking of something different from what you said. there's nothing bad in making ourselves pretty or staying 1 hour in front of the mirror.
sometimes it happens also to me if i have to go in some important places, but it all depends from the contest, i'm not gonna make up heavily and perfectly if i'm going to spend a whole day sweating under the sun , it won't be confortable, so i just don't make up. i'm enough wise (of i should say used after years of concerts) to know that at the end of the festival/concert i would look like abbath after two hours of stage :lol:
anyway we were mostly speaking about those girls who dress in a certain way because it's a fashion, 'cause it's cool to look evil sometimes, to go in certain places and behave in certain ways, like doing horns or headbanging, but they don't give a fuck of the music, they just do that because it's cool, they don't care about music, and if you speak to them you understand that they know at least 3 or 4 groups, and that's not your case!

maybe i'm just close-minded, i admit that.
but metal and everything that turns around it, concerts, festival, people, are such important things in my life that i hardly accept it :p

i think it all depends also from how a person is used.
i'm a simple person in look. i don't usually make up that often, basically only at night if i'm going out with friends or for some special occasions. i don't make up every morning when i wake up or when i go to work. i don't feel confortable to have the make up all the day on my face (and let's not speak of how delicate are my eyes, i can put on only some make-up brands). this is how i'm used (i'm not saying that i'm right and every other person that does the opposite is wrong) , i make up only if i have to do something important.
but that's not a matter of lazyness, this is my face, whether i like it or not, this is the face i was given and i have to live with that.
i don't like hide myself behind tons of make up in everyday's life, i want that my friends know my face. i know so many people that doesn't go out home without wearing make up, even if they are going to throw away the trash or to buy some bread. there are some friends of mine who i've never seen without make up for many years and the first time i saw their real face i tought "whaaaaat???? o_O", i prefer that people thinks that i look nice with make the few times they see me with it on my face, then how i look strange without :lol:
this is me :)

this is me :)

then you're just like me :p except that the reason why i don't wear any makeup 350 days of the year is that i'm fckin lazy to clean it at the end of the day, and usually leave it there until next morning which is bad for the skin.
Ohmy, look what we've done, we've turned Wacken thread into pinkish girlish chat about makeup :lol::lol: *me quickly retreats before the guys get mad :p

Well, let's just say that this is not exactly the kind of topic I was expecting from this forum.
However, that doesn't mean it can't be discussed. Probably it's off-topic though. So I guess we must write Wacken 2009 in the reply.

I was recently in Greece for a few months, and the greek girls wear waaaaay to much make up. Being there with a finnish friend, we quickly realized that the only way to understand if a greek girl is cute or not is by looking at her from a 1 meter distance. Like that you could virtually see their faces, although sometimes it was quite difficult. But I do remember watching girls in PJs with make-up on, or studying in the library dressed to kill (with the respective make-up). The results were not good, and if people ask me if the greek girls are pretty, my answer is not exactly obvious. It was also funny to observe how almost all the girls were interested in each other inside pubs, ignoring all the guys.
All this to say, probably the make-up phenomenae has a cultural factor, that turns it into a ritual for social acceptance. Wearing make up in heavy metal concerts in Portugal doesn't make a lot of sense, but maybe it does in Russia. This is also valid for different ages or sub-cultures, I guess.

Wacken 2009 WOOOO!!