Borknagar @ Wacken 2009

I have been away from the forum for a while & it was a big surprise to read that Borknagar will play in Wacken, wow, cool as hell... Well, I wish I could go but the tickets are sold out :/ anyway I already saw Borknagar in Norway some months ago, woohoo!!! But I wanna see it again, hehe, ahhh & to Vintersorg "the band" too : )
Good luck in the show Öystein, Erik, Jens & the rest of the band!!!

foto_vinteroysteinjag.jpg

PS. I don't like my face in the pic, hehe :p but Öystein & Andreas look very nice!

Nice pic! :kickass:

We want more! We want more!

Hi, I was at Wacken too and made about 25 Photos from Borknagar. It was amazing. I was waiting a long time to see Borknagar live. When you're interested in the Photos, just write me a Message.

Because of the Videos of Borknagar, check Youtube sometimes, maybe you'll find something. The other Way you have is to wait about a Year, then you can buy the Wacken DVD Box. Maybe there is a Clip and maybe more of Borknagar to see.

It was the second time I was there and I really had a great time. It's right, it's a very big festival, well known all over the world and there are sometimes a few stupid idiots. But not many. I had a great time there and did not see many idiots (and when I saw them, I walked away ^^)

Wacken is mostly sold out very early. The best Way to find Tickets is ebay. The Prices should be okay too.

The show was filmed by a pro crew and the entire set was sold on memory sticks to the crowd only a short time after we left the stage, so I doubt it should be too hard to find any footage...

well the sound was almost shitty at the beginning but got a bit better afterwards, nevertheless far too much bass. Unfortunately it was very hot without any airbreezes most of the time, so the crowd's mood didn't get too cheerful, but all in all it was an amazing gig and was worth every cent - especially seen in combination with the Enslaved gig afterwards.

Trying to rebuild the Borknagar setlist in no particular order except first and last song:

Ruins Of Future
Gods Of My World
Universal
Inherit The Earth
The Black Token
Ad Noctum
Oceans Rise
Colossus
The Genuine Pulse
Future Reminiscence
The Dawn Of The End

I still wonder how they managed to play 11 songs in approx 50+ minutes (they played not a single intro to any song, Genuine Pulse = :err:) but anyway.. I'm quite sure that the list is correct. Tried so hard to stay sober 2 hours before their gig and was so nervous I couldn't talk :lol:

About Colossus:

Mr V sounds MUCH better than on the past wacken. Colossus is always hard to sing but this time he sounds so much compfortable with the song. He was kinda lost near the end of the song, I wonder if some technical problem happened or it was just a mistake.

The drumming sounds kinda simple compared with Asgeir's (maybe it's the quality of the audio).

At 2:12 Mr V and Lars look almost like twins.

Found Inherit the Earth:

EDIT: Wacken crowd = LAME.

Last edited by a moderator:
About Colossus:

Mr V sounds MUCH better than on the past wacken. Colossus is always hard to sing but this time he sounds so much compfortable with the song. He was kinda lost near the end of the song, I wonder if some technical problem happened or it was just a mistake.

The drumming sounds kinda simple compared with Asgeir's (maybe it's the quality of the audio).

At 2:12 Mr V and Lars look almost like twins.

Found Inherit the Earth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEO7zPuUp70

EDIT: Wacken crowd = LAME.

What happen for me was that my monitor sound was coming and going quite frequently...at the beginning of the song it was there and after a while I it was just "gone"...my mix was to have a lot of keyboards to guide me in what Key to sing. But keyboards came and went all the time and then it's for me quite hard to do the job, complex guitar chords with distorsion is very hard to have as the only guideline for me at a live situation when the sound isn't the best possible.

mr V

Scheisse passiert. Vinty did well, especially with the growling vokills and the switching between different types of vocals. Some clean vocals weren't perfect. It must be very taxing to sing with such force on both styles.
Being a very complex and produced band on album it's irrealistic to expect them to pull of the polished album sound. The keyboards sounded clear at first but became a bit fuzzy as the concert went on.

At the beginning Vintersorg threw a T-shirt in my direction. It went above some guy sitting on the ground in front of me wearing a cowboy hat. Some guys jumped over him and his hat went a bit kaputt.

Thanks for the gig guys!

you should have seen the fights after the concert when drumsticks were thrown in the crowd.. so many people tackling and kicking each other to get one, nice to see how popular/favoured the borkies are :lol:

was somebody standing on the back? I didn't get how many people came to see Borknagar..

IMG_0860.jpg

I was damned sure I was going to pass out while standing in the crowd. Drinking 96% instead of going to sleep was not a good idea right before going to the only concert I had to see at Wacken.

What happen for me was that my monitor sound was coming and going quite frequently...at the beginning of the song it was there and after a while I it was just "gone"...my mix was to have a lot of keyboards to guide me in what Key to sing. But keyboards came and went all the time and then it's for me quite hard to do the job, complex guitar chords with distorsion is very hard to have as the only guideline for me at a live situation when the sound isn't the best possible.

mr V

I imagined that the monitors were shitty (In fact, I thought you were walking around to hear something, maybe Tyr had the same problem on the beginning). The audio on stage usually is totally different from the sound heard by the crowd... sometimes you can't hear anything, even if your pals are playing besides you - but few people knows it.

On big stages like Wacken, to have those technical problems is very unfortunate.

mr V

Ah that explains some of the intonation errors... damn technology, just never seems to work right...

Sounded good anyway, despite the small errors. :headbang: