Boss GT-3 question for Blackheim

I remember turning to Anders for advice when I was about to decide if I should get a GT3. The main deal is - If you use preamp and distortion functions in the GT3, you most go directly to the _power-amp_ of yer amplifier, this by pluggin into the EFX-return or power amp in or alike. This advice was gold, I got myself a GT3 and now I have a set-up gicing me a fat tone on every gig I have, since all I need is a good cabinet basiclly, either by bringing my Vintage 30 4x12 with a power-amp or using something amp available at the venue. Today there is of course both GT-6 and GT-8 too, I might update myself someday. Anyway, GT rules.

discouraged1 said:
hahaha.

watch the for you clip and learn.
hahaha.

Oh it's you again :wave: I read in interviews they used the MT-2 on quite a few albums, and stopped using it a couple of years ago. I think you can find it on their forums if you really care.
And on a sidenote, I really DON'T care about the For You clip.
Bye now

discouraged1 said:
have you used tubes on your new one?

yes, we ended up using mesaboogie rectifier all the way for the rhythms...

oh and to add to yer other discussion i can say that everytime we shared the stage with our friends in my dying bride, they used metalzone pedals and 5150 amps. never asked them what they used to record with...

JohnMS said:
Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

If you keep gain to a minimum using a high gain preamp, what about the distortion?
QUOTE]

The Distortion is located in the levels pertaining to the Preamp, ie: Preamp Volume. This is different than the Preamp Master Volume.

Okay, thanks! Now I'll just have to find out if the GT8 will work in the FX loop of my about 38 years old Orange Matamp - the Digitech XP300 I hooked up sure didn't. The "Echo Send" of my amp has a very high output and the guys back then only had analog equipment in mind when designing it. Otherwise I'll have to use any other digital effect - be it a GT8 or wotnot - directly through the input, instead of the fx loop. Argh.

JohnMS said:
BTW, has anyone run a synthesizer through a Boss GT and are the results useable?

I've never done it, but I could imagine the results would be quite tantalizing. I'd say some, not all, results would be useable depending on the effects you are after. Personally I just use Reason and then muck around with the sounds in Pro Tools.

You've got me thinking crazy thoughts now.
Come to think of it, there'd be some awesome sounds you could get from a sythesizer and a GT

JohnMS said:
BTW, has anyone run a synthesizer through a Boss GT and are the results useable?

actually, that shit is fukkin kool!
at the time we recorded 'last fair deal gone down', we were still at sunlight studio and they have zero computers and it's all analogue tape recorders, so we ran all keyboards and loops thru the GT-3 as a hardware answer to software plugins. i can't praise this little GT-3 enuff, what it has meant for us. it's the best buddy a guitarplayer could ever have. just about to get the GT-8 now.

Blakkheim said:
at the time we recorded 'last fair deal gone down', we were still at sunlight studio and they have zero computers and it's all analogue tape recorders, so we ran all keyboards and loops thru the GT-3 as a hardware answer to software plugins. i can't praise this little GT-3 enuff, what it has meant for us. it's the best buddy a guitarplayer could ever have. just about to get the GT-8 now.

So the loops and keys on LFDGD were filtered and/ or wotnot by a GT3? Well, sounds good enough to my ears, so I guess I might as well try one out. :headbang:

Had a look into the Minimat thingy yet?

Blakkheim said:

That's why LFDGD has such killer sound! Analouge equipment ruuulez. However, computer usage is veery understandable, since its so much more comfortable and user-friendly.

Well, seeing how enthousiastic you are about it I guess it must be a more reliable device than my GT-6. It has crashed a few times already on rehearsals, so I'm not very confident in taking it with me on gigs, I just can't rely on it.

JohnMS said:
How about becoming official Boss endorsers? ;)

hahah yeah i wish... cuz i really feel i master the GT-3 the best way i can and it's proved to be of immense importance for the evolution and eaze n' comfort of katatonia. but Boss doesnt seem to put much focus on artists and endorsements... maybe cuz they dont need names and famous faces to sell their products... they've always been #1....

sorry to hear the GT-6 crashed... must be a coincidence... i cant imagine them being weaker than a previous model...my GT-3 even survived spilled beer from fans and getting stomped on... i think the GT-3 will serve as a backup to the GT-8 as soon as i get it... gotta learn that thing first!

I have been saving for a gt-8, but recently my amp went on fucking fire!
Have to buy a new one. Using a 10 watt piece of crap just dosnt match up to my burned out amp

JohnMS said:
How much do you want to spend? If you're looking for a quality amp, try Matamp (http://www.matamp.co.uk). Mine is 35 years old and still going strong!

The news one will work well with a GT8.

Ill spend as much as it takes in order to get the sound I want. It can be hard to find that sound because music shops dont like me going in and trying out every amp they have and still not buy anything:D
Thanks for the link
35 years old!? Thats serious stuff. Ive never heard of an amp lasting so long

Blakkheim said:
hahah yeah i wish... cuz i really feel i master the GT-3 the best way i can and it's proved to be of immense importance for the evolution and eaze n' comfort of katatonia. but Boss doesnt seem to put much focus on artists and endorsements... maybe cuz they dont need names and famous faces to sell their products... they've always been #1....

How's you German? Boss has a website over here called www.soundsderhelden.de, where you can download 50 patches or something for the GT8 (and the GT 6 and other Boss gear).

They even have GS10 sounds programmed by Yngwie Malmsteen, Marty Friedmann and George Lynch. It seems someone ought to tell Roland/ Boss that Yngwie Malmsteen isn't as popular in Europe as he is in Japan...... ;)