Boston HOB and May 2 show....

jrsh92

Jan 8, 2008
Never been to this venue before so I have a question... basically, I have some tickets purchased a while back and I have some friends who want to go to the show in addition to those who all got their tickets together previously. The tickets have clearly marked row and seat numbers and the ones my friends might buy now will obviously have different row and seat numbers, a good distance away from ours. Is this a situation like the Worcester Palladium where people technically can sit down but will mostly be up in a center floor area? If that's the case then we'll all be standing/moshing/moving around anyway so our seats can be separated but we can all interact. If it's more like the Orpheum then separate seats means we aren't next to each other and we are sitting apart. Is there an option to stand at the House of Blues?

I'm interested too. Im starting at Berklee College of Music in the fall, and im seeing Porcupine Tree there september 27. anyone know how it is?

Never been to this venue before so I have a question... basically, I have some tickets purchased a while back and I have some friends who want to go to the show in addition to those who all got their tickets together previously. The tickets have clearly marked row and seat numbers and the ones my friends might buy now will obviously have different row and seat numbers, a good distance away from ours. Is this a situation like the Worcester Palladium where people technically can sit down but will mostly be up in a center floor area? If that's the case then we'll all be standing/moshing/moving around anyway so our seats can be separated but we can all interact. If it's more like the Orpheum then separate seats means we aren't next to each other and we are sitting apart. Is there an option to stand at the House of Blues?
Did you just buy the $22 General Admission tickets? If you bought those then you're all set, it's just an open floor.

And I haven't actually been inside the HOB yet, but apparently it has a floor and a ton of seats, some of which are GA (I believe).

I'm interested too. Im starting at Berklee College of Music in the fall, and im seeing Porcupine Tree there september 27. anyone know how it is?

The venue just opened a few months ago, and from what I've heard it's absolutely fantastic.

I went to the HOB a couple weeks ago.
They've made lots of changes from the old Avalon.
1st it's a lot bigger.
The floor is huge.
Now, general admission is for the floor area.
Stadium seating is up on the 3rd floor/balcony. I haven't been up there yet.
I believe if you have a stadium seat ticket, you're restricted to that area.
Just as a GA ticket keeps you on the floor.
For Opeth I got one of each so I can wonder around freely.
The sound is really good. FYI- the will call ticket booth is after the entrances out on the sidewalk.
I saw Black label society. The place was sold out, but there was still plenty of room to move around.
The line outside was down to the cask n flagon, but it only took like 15 minutes to get to the door from there.
16 oz cans of beer were $6.50 I think.
They have girls that walk throughout the crowd with a coolers of beer, so you can keep your spot & still drink.
The merch tables were to the right of the stage. They had lots of cool shit for BLS.
Hopefully they have some of the same for Opeth ( like signed drum heads !!)

When I saw Claypool/SC3 there the stadium seating was closed off completely. But yeah, it's fucking huge compared to the Avalon.

I went to the HOB about a month ago to see George Thorogood, and the venue is fantastic in my opinion. Definitely a step up in both quality and convenience from having to trek all the way out to the Palladium like we did the last time Opeth was in town. As for the venue itself, like others have said, it's mostly one huge GA floor. There is a balcony all around the sides on the second floor, and I'm hoping to get there early enough to get a spot against the rail up top on Mendez's side. I'm not too tall, and neither is my girlfriend, which was a problem for us because we were standing about 10 people back from Thorogood. There is a third floor with seating, but it's restricted unless you have tickets to sit there, which provides what looks like a great view of the stage, but you're kinda far away, and I think the venue is meant to be more intimate. If you're wondering the size, I think the capacity is 2000 (biggest HOB in the US), but even at full capacity it doesn't feel jammed which is nice. It's also well ventilated, and the sound is great (clear, not too loud). I'm not sure what kind of pit they're going to allow though. I heard things were pretty wild when Dropkick Murphys played there, and there are ushers everywhere. And by everywhere, I mean like every 10 feet.

I've also got my Porcupine Tree tickets for September and can't fucking wait.

They have girls that walk throughout the crowd with a coolers of beer, so you can keep your spot & still drink.
The merch tables were to the right of the stage. They had lots of cool shit for BLS.
Hopefully they have some of the same for Opeth ( like signed drum heads !!)

That sounds gay. Why would you have Girls in bright t-shirts and beer coolers waltzing around the concert area , most probably in the area with the mosh pits? Just get your lazy butt up and go get a damn beer. And who the heck would ever want to see Opeth or any metal band while sitted?:lol: Half the fun is to jump into moshpits:p

The gay concert area, is gay.

MoonlightOrchid \m/

Was there a few weeks ago. It's mainly an open floor, but there is upper deck seating. Not sure if you have to sit there, but judging by the sound of your tickets you might.

I'm going to that show too, can't wait!! :headbang:

I can't wait for this show!!

Just an fyi... I haven't actually been to the new HOB yet... but I hear the security is insane. They will search you thoroughly, and go through your stuff thoroughly, they were even looking through two of my friends' wallets, they check cig packs if you carry any sort of perscription, might be best to leave it home if you can, or they may take it if they don't believe what it's for. They've got metal detector wands too, and they don't like wallet chains...

The inside is supposed to be really really nice, though.

I can't wait for this show!!

Just an fyi... I haven't actually been to the new HOB yet... but I hear the security is insane. They will search you thoroughly, and go through your stuff thoroughly, they were even looking through two of my friends' wallets, they check cig packs if you carry any sort of perscription, might be best to leave it home if you can, or they may take it if they don't believe what it's for. They've got metal detector wands too, and they don't like wallet chains...

The inside is supposed to be really really nice, though.

Oh yeah, I also heard about all the metal detectors and frisks from someone who went to a show a few weeks ago.

Do yourself a favor and don't check the setlist from the NJ show before attending this show. It will be the same. It's (almost) always the same.

This will be my 4th time seeing Opeth. I'm really looking forward to seeing which songs they decide to dust off for this tour.

I was just at the HOB (Jeff beck). The show was sold out, and it was difficult to move up front.
You can also find a spot along the balcony area, but you have to get there early, because if you're one back in this area, it is difficult to see the stage.
Beware: sercurity was tight for Jeff beck...can you imagine what it will be like for Opeth???
Any which way...I love Saturday night shows, and is sure to be fun!!

Amazing show. The pit was absolutely bonkers during Lotus Eater, and the energy really made the evening special. Hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did.