Boston HOB and May 2 show....

Never been to the new HOB but it's very nice. Dunno exactly how many it can hold total, probably 3-5K. Three bars made liquid refreshment conveniently available, although expensive. Some dude next to me bought a 1800 Tequila and Cranberry juice (yuch), cost as mush as two beers ($12). It was packed by the time Opeth went on.

Anyway show was great, Enslaved were at times good. They certainly looked like they could don the gear and go viking at the drop of a hat. Opeth kicked major ass though. Ghost of Perdition was great live, and that's not one of my favorites. Not much talking or joking this time. Mosh pits cropped up in several places, and towards the last song the whole middle of the bottom floor was one big pit, many people and unidentifiable items of clothing were tossed about. They did Godheads Lament which I was surprised at. Encore was Deliverance, no DOTF. There was this one chick on the third balcony who was really shaking her ass through like the first five songs, and then I noticed her slumped over passed out for the rest of the show :), X will do that to you (along with several other recreational substances). Bass Player has cut his hair short, which I was disappointed at. Axenrot was sick sick sick. Everybody played great, Akesson was very good, even though he looked like a freakin sheepdog. Disappointed I couldn't buy an Opeth baseball cap.

And in conclusion, thanks to the smoking hot black chick who was sitting at the rail on the right side of the bottom floor, right in front of the bar. I only actually saw half the show, the other half I spent staring at her perfect 10 ass. MY GOD that girl was hot. Holy shit. Lots more chicks there than I though there would be.

And to the guy with the Ringworld T-Shirt, you rock!

:headbang::kickass:

The Lotus Eater kicked serious ass.
Credence and The Night And The Silent Water were of course beautiful
Some hilarious moshing going on, a couple dancing a jig in the farther back pit later on... anyone else see the guy being carried out (looked unconscious? Maybe just injured) just a few minutes into Opeths set?
Overall the crowd was all having fun, jumping around, but being pretty peaceful.
In terms of set list and sound quality, especially sound quality, this was the best Opeth show I've ever been to. Probably the best show of any kind, ever. Loud enough to be moving, not loud enough to be deafening or to distort (though earplugs were still nice a lot of the time). Opeth was at their best, opening POWERFULLY with Heir Apparent and Ghost of Perdition, moving on to some of my favorite songs (The Night and the Silent water being the best, I think) and finishing with, of course, the best song to finish a live show with. Ever. I would've liked to hear When and maybe The Drapery Falls but I will never complain about TLA... and Closure filled up the sentimental side of the setlist with Credence and TNATSW-- while most of the rest got the adrenaline pumping
HELL OF A SHOW

The Lotus Eater kicked serious ass.
Credence and The Night And The Silent Water were of course beautiful
Some hilarious moshing going on, a couple dancing a jig in the farther back pit later on... anyone else see the guy being carried out (looked unconscious? Maybe just injured) just a few minutes into Opeths set?
Overall the crowd was all having fun, jumping around, but being pretty peaceful.
In terms of set list and sound quality, especially sound quality, this was the best Opeth show I've ever been to. Probably the best show of any kind, ever. Loud enough to be moving, not loud enough to be deafening or to distort (though earplugs were still nice a lot of the time). Opeth was at their best, opening POWERFULLY with Heir Apparent and Ghost of Perdition, moving on to some of my favorite songs (The Night and the Silent water being the best, I think) and finishing with, of course, the best song to finish a live show with. Ever. I would've liked to hear When and maybe The Drapery Falls but I will never complain about TLA... and Closure filled up the sentimental side of the setlist with Credence and TNATSW-- while most of the rest got the adrenaline pumping
HELL OF A SHOW

Yup, sound quality was really great, but it could have been louder. I like to feel the bass in my chest, and have my ears ring for at least a FEW minutes after the show. TLA was awesome.

I WAS SITTING NEXT THAT BLACK CHICK TOO!!!!! She had a bull ring in her nose right? My friend and spent most of Enslaved set checking her out.

Unfortunately, after we went onto the floor to get closer, instead of a smoking hot black chick, we were given an extremely obese girl who danced and moshed in her bra. I'm pretty sure she gave herself a black eye with those saggy melons. I will have nightmares tonight because of it. Anyone else know who I'm talking about?

As for Opeth - I've seen them every time they've come around since Lamentations over America tour and I have to say their performance of Closure was the greatest thing I've ever witnessed.

I WAS SITTING NEXT THAT BLACK CHICK TOO!!!!! She had a bull ring in her nose right? My friend and spent most of Enslaved set checking her out.

Unfortunately, after we went onto the floor to get closer, instead of a smoking hot black chick, we were given an extremely obese girl who danced and moshed in her bra. I'm pretty sure she gave herself a black eye with those saggy melons. I will have nightmares tonight because of it. Anyone else know who I'm talking about?

As for Opeth - I've seen them every time they've come around since Lamentations over America tour and I have to say their performance of Closure was the greatest thing I've ever witnessed.

LOL, I'm glad I missed that! I did see a few other sled trolls though... but there was also quite a few of the other variety also. My brother was psyched at all the tall leather boots on display, that's what does it for him I guess.

Nope, I was at both shows and they were the exact same sets.

Heir Apparent
Godhead's Lament
Leper Affinity
Credence
Hessian Peel
Closure
The Night and Silent Water
The Lotus Eater
Deliverance

On both nights, Credence=>Hessian Peel=>Closure was one of the greatest things I have ever witnessed. The sound was a bit better in Jersey though strictly for the fact that I felt that Mikael could have been just a tad louder in Boston. Otherwise they were both phenomenal.

Never been to the new HOB but it's very nice. Dunno exactly how many it can hold total, probably 3-5K.

It holds 2K. Biggest House of Blues in existence.

I was in the balcony on Mendez's side, so I got a great view of everything from above. A few highlights other than the aforementioned music:

For one thing, it was great to have such a huge GA area, unlike the Palladium. The pit was enormous at times, and at others there were 3 mini pits. The one in front of Fredrik seemed pretty tame but was quite active during Enslaved, the one in front of Mendez seemed like a lot of people were pretty drunk because they kept getting knocked over easily (there was a tiny blonde chick in that one who got decked a couple times), and then there was the third and largest pit in front of the soundstage. Near the end, during Lotus Eater and Deliverance, the 3 pits linked up and seeing the mayhem from above was an absolute treat.

The concert was definitely a top 2 or 3 of all time for me. The music, the sound quality, the energy, and obviously the band, were all top notch. Another quality experience from the Boston HOB. Can't wait for Porcupine Tree in September.

Hands down the best of the 4 Opeth shows I've been to! The sound was great (you could actually hear Per for a change). I thought Enslaved was amazing. Best opener I've seen for Opeth. Not a dull moment.

One of my favorite moments was hearing Mike and Per bust into Jimi Hendrix's "Third Stone From the Sun" in the jam section of "Closure". It was subtle, and really cool. In fact, they all seemed a bit more spontaneous than the previous 3 times I've seen them.

I thought the crowd was great. When we sang along, it was a huge number of us, so it sounded great. And the pits were pretty good. I was pretty close to the front on Mendez's side and on the edge of the pit mostly, throwing knuckleheads back in. I just wish the girl behind me would have put her elbows down. She was trying to create "personal space" or something, and I wanted to tell her she's in the wrong place for that. By the end of the show, my buddy and I were nearly at the stage and had to deal with crowd surfers, which is cool, but there ought to be a rule: if you're over like 250....come on...this is not an activity for you, okay? Poor dude to my left had his glasses knocked off and stomped, and lost his lens. A bunch of tried to use our cell phones to try to find it, and lucky for him he did, although I don't know how it couldn't have been scratched to hell. And I will say that The Lotus Eater pit was pretty awesome. I normally hate that shit, but, man...that was intense, and a lot of fun.

And pretty fun to hear Fred do that shredding demo, even if there were no Paul Gilbert licks!

Poor dude to my left had his glasses knocked off and stomped, and lost his lens. A bunch of tried to use our cell phones to try to find it, and lucky for him he did, although I don't know how it couldn't have been scratched to hell.

Haha, I was the guy who picked them up.

EDIT: And I really hope more metal shows will start coming there instead of Worcester.

~~~

fn excellent show.

I was caught in the maelstrom of the pit. lost both shoes and a sunglass clip. I knew I'd be able to retrieve the shoes when the crowd dispersed, but damn, I even found my sunglass clip. pretty miraculous, and not destroyed.

Deliverance never gets old

~~~~

Nope, I was at both shows and they were the exact same sets.

Heir Apparent
Godhead's Lament
Leper Affinity
Credence
Hessian Peel
Closure
The Night and Silent Water
The Lotus Eater
Deliverance

On both nights, Credence=>Hessian Peel=>Closure was one of the greatest things I have ever witnessed. The sound was a bit better in Jersey though strictly for the fact that I felt that Mikael could have been just a tad louder in Boston. Otherwise they were both phenomenal.

You forgot Ghost Of Perdition in between Heir and Godhead's.

I was there last night, and I spoke to someone at the venue. The HOB in Boston used to be two clubs years ago. Downstairs, it was Avalon, and upstairs, it was Axis. They opened up the place and added the rails on the 2nd and 3rd floors to make it look more spacious. I was there when it was Avalon to see Kiss in 1992 on their club tour before they released the "Revenge" album, and then again the following year for a meet and greet with them. It looks alot better now than it did years ago, from what I can recall. Great show last night.. I finally got to see Enslaved after missing them in 2003.

such a great show. sound was awsome, eventhough it was disturbing to see a 300 pound chick take her shirt off.
My friends and I strated the mini pit to the left of the stage during enslaved, which was awsome.

What?! Oh man... I wasn't aware of that.. where was she? I don't get why some chicks have to do that. If you don't look good, don't do it. I stood on the right side for Enslaved, and the left for Opeth.

I saw her. There was some fat chick with like DDD's who was in the middle of the pit in front of the soundstage. She took her shirt off during Deliverance but the ushers made her cover up a minute later, and then she started sobbing.