BRAVE MURDER MAY TOURNAMENT

While I agree to an extent, what purpose is served if the nomination sent to the infernal pyre is going to go over like a fart in church? While I appreciate these niche offerings, if you know out the gate your fellow forum member is going to shit on it in a one n done fashion, there's no point in reco'ing. No one is going to become proselytized into listening to unblack metal. I thinkbest case scenario has already been achieved. Listening to these offerings with an open mind. That is best case scenario.

Now another rd of said offerings can be pitched, and the odds are heavily in favor of them all getting pissed and shit on. Ken takes this like a fucking champ, but Josh caught some feelings. Lets not dismiss the "Age of Empires" comment. No one emjoys getting their taste in music completely shat upon. I assume his taste in music ventures beyond the unblack. It doesnt have to be "hail Satan horse shit." Just something inbetween.

K bruv, just want you to have a good time is all. Not trying to white knight for ye like a faggot either. Just pitching friendly advice. Keep the unblack coming, just expect to go down like Dale Earnhardt.

I do appreciate that at least a few individuals are listening to my stuff with an open mind. I know it could be much worse. I wasn't upset about anyone disliking any of my nominees musically, I only took issue with a specific criticism of Erik's that really didn't pertain to music and that I thought was a misreading of the artist (notice that I ignored his comments about music even if I disagreed with them).

I'm trying to be balanced in what I choose. I picked Hesychast and Panegyrist (especially the latter) because I like them but also because I thought people here would appreciate them stylistically. I do think some of the disregard for Hesychast is due to their beliefs and that's a little disappointing but totally expected. I get it because lyrics matter to me too. The other stuff I just picked because I REALLY enjoying listening to them. I've appreciated hearing some fair evaluations of them and the rest I take in stride because it's 100% what I would expect. I listen to probably 90% Christian Metal and 10% everything else so my recos are coming from what I actually enjoy and listen to. There are probably a few secular records I could throw out there, but I'm not sure if I think they deserve it or if they'll go over any better anyway so we'll see. I think my two selections in Bracket B are good and I hope they go over better.

Am I the only one that doesnt get the age of empires reference?

Did you click this clicky in RiA's opening post of this thread?: https://challonge.com/mzp25mf8 He organized the tournament on some site for hosting Age of Empires tournaments :lol:

I was just taking the piss out the tournament because I was slogging through some crap I didn't care to listen to and because I used to play AoE semi-competitively online and I couldn't resist (it was really completely unrelated to however my picks were faring).

Reactions: Reign in Acai
Torture Chain - Don't know about this one. Needs more listens.

Ultra Silvam - Started out ho-hum and then kicked into high gear. Ended up digging it muchly.

Darkened Nocturne Slaughtercult - nothing really struck me as awesome. will listen again

Vektor - Wow! I've read these guys hyped to no end for years as the next best thing and it just isn't. At all. Not even a smidge. Technical thrash with annoying vocals. Actually reminds me of a thrash version of Sound of Perseverance. Which isnt a good thing.

now it's Ken that's got us listening to long ass albums. 72 minutes for BtBaM. Core vocals never ends.

i reserve the right to edit albums down to 45 minutes at my discretion

if your best material is your last song, well, tough luck

Im stuck at work, so I will suffer through it, but damn. Ive still got a 15 minute song left and this thing has been going since midnight it feels like.

EDIT: and it's competition is 62 minutes!

glad some of my picks for the leave-ins are EPs

Im talking to myself here cuz all you lames are sleeping.

Slechtvalk (who?) - pretty good stuff tbh. it goes on for too long, but they have nice ideas. the clean vocals are Caladan Brood-ish, and they have some cool epic passages. The lyrics arent overtly worshipping at all. They are more based on battles, and perhaps biblical type stories and themes. That's based on a quick look on MA. Cant understand anything anyway.

I have faint recollections of reviewing an enjoyable split LP Slechvalk shared with some Indonesian band way back in the early 00's. I'll be curious to revisit it with today's decrepit ears and compare it to this here contestant.

Vektor - Wow! I've read these guys hyped to no end for years as the next best thing and it just isn't. At all. Not even a smidge. Technical thrash with annoying vocals. Actually reminds me of a thrash version of Sound of Perseverance. Which isnt a good thing.

Nah Vektor is good bruddah and deserve a place at the table. Now that im re-listening I can hear vocal similarities to SoP (which is one, if not my fave Death release.) I thought this release would suffer from age (its been a few yrs), but nah this is cool shit.

:popcorn:

Reactions: Krilons Resa
From Torture Chain's bandcamp promo:

morbid and baroque keyboard organ intros accompany a caustic and harsh hammering black death metal, complete with ripping guitar solos courtesy of arthur rizk with winding interactive single note leads set atop the crumbling temple of riffs.

highlights even hit the stressful agony of mayhem's chimera at its nastiest peaks or the angular dissonance of corpse vomit’s debut.

this could easily have sat alongside some of the forgotten gems of the wild rags catalog - a moment when underground was a monstrous and uncomfortable mix of elements - and a journey that if one overcame the obstacles they were rewarded with knowledge.

new album from lone torturer - the influence of greek black metal is mutated alongside old american death metal/

in torturer’s own words:

Rot spewing forth.

Bleeding cracks in the walls.

Contamination of the enemy scourge.

Plague bound words.

Stabbing cancerous thought in the minds of the weak.

Made to molt in the hive.

:wave:

I'm gonna vote Nokturnal Mortum over this just based off the sweet album cover art.

Last edited:
Slechtvalk (who?) - pretty good stuff tbh. it goes on for too long, but they have nice ideas. the clean vocals are Caladan Brood-ish, and they have some cool epic passages. The lyrics arent overtly worshipping at all. They are more based on battles, and perhaps biblical type stories and themes. That's based on a quick look on MA. Cant understand anything anyway.

I figured you would like them. They've got that Epic/Viking/Pagan Metal thing going on. Kind of long, but the last song is epic and one of the best. Very talented band.

I have faint recollections of reviewing an enjoyable split LP Slechvalk shared with some Indonesian band way back in the early 00's. I'll be curious to revisit it with today's decrepit ears and compare it to this here contestant.

That was Kekal whose cover art you mercilessly mocked when I shared their album awhile back :lol: They're the Indonesian Ulver. They started out making high quality (Un)Black Metal and then started doing all sorts of avant-garde, electronic, hipster metal. I adore their second album.

I figured you would like them. They've got that Epic/Viking/Pagan Metal thing going on. Kind of long, but the last song is epic and one of the best. Very talented band.

I see their cds are OOP RARE
SPOTIFY LIST FOR BRACKET 2

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5PtFNvfODbWZzLslJdOQLO?si=ylOUWzz4QAKmy0PNhG8PIQ

albums missing b/c non-availablity:

nokturnal mortum
lake of blood
black magick zz top

every song from the album for Lake of Blood is on youtube. just use the queue feature. i suck and dont use spotify, so...

Black Magick SS wtf

someone needs to be banned
yeah i'm not about to spoil my judgements already but let's just say if you thought i roasted hesychast hard then you've got another thing coming

Buwhahahahahhaha I love it bruvs. Not due to the name and album cover imagery either. I truly dig this shit.

Bring it on, I didnt create these masterworks, I just bring em to your ears. :suspicious: